24 replies · 166 views · thread synced · 11 days ago
· View on torn.com
About this thread
Posts archived:25 / 25 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
Archived posts
25
Discussion span
→
Authority score
43 / 100
Historical score
23 / 100
Story score
44 / 100
Engagement score
60 / 100
People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.
As the title says, these married merits should just be from being married to ANY person not just to ONE specific person for the amount of time. Given that most who reach these merits probably married someone who became inactive, I think it would help active players find someone who was active and stay with them.
Another suggestion would be to only count it in blocks of 30 days or so. This would prevent people from marrying different folks every day.
I'm all for it, this particular merit is all too easy to get screwed by your partner and lose literally years of progress. No other merit has such punishing behavior, even the faction one was changed.
The merits are simply not practical targets for two active players due to the nature of Torn.
Based on the fact that the marriage merits are earned under the commitment section of honors I think it would be counter-intuitive to allow it to count for total married days since you would not be committed if you were to get a divorce and marry someone else.
I don't mind current situation, it is what it is, but if they would change how marriage merit is earned. I would immediately divorce my inactive spouse and find active player to who would pay rent to live in my PI. Yay, free money. Woohoo
You've never lost a 1000+ day Torn marriage because your spouse's real life spouse randomly freaks out about it, have you?
It's just too brittle of a system, to the point where almost no one will earn them all unless they go inactive or you get extremely lucky. You can lose literally years of progress due to outside factors.
Your own days continue to count, even if your spouse is inactive. So it's really just simple a decision on commitment: do I want to have 2,000 days with one single person or not?
If the answer is no, it's not worth giving the award for it.
But that's maybe an old fashioned point of view...
/by
Edit: Just this addition: I am speaking from the perspective of someone who willingly divorced after 1,000 days. This was a decision against getting the last merits in a near future. But hey, torn isn't always a bowl of cherries, which includes that some merits need to be hard to get :-)
I've been married to my current spouse for three years, and my next marriage medal is in a year.
I hate proposing/supporting suggestions that just make the game easier, but this seems a wee bit excessive. I know I know, commitment and all that, but if my spouse and I were to split, it would take four years for me to get that medal. That's awfully discouraging, and I'd likely just say **** it.
Another thing that people have touched on: it encourages staying married to inactive players. The faction commitment medals were changed because people were just sitting in the same faction for 3 years to get the medals. It became a passive system for a lot of people (myself included -- I earned the medals through 1,000 consecutive days), so they changed the requirements so people could be more active within the faction system as a whole without worrying about losing their progress. I think the marriage medals probably need to be re-evaluated in the same way.
You and your friend have managed to remain active (and married) for just over two years. I don't mean to be rude, but that's not the accomplishment that you think it is. You both also started the game at the exact same time, and got married shortly after, which gives you a huge advantage over those of us that can't get referrals to stick with the game. I'm not crying "unfair", just pointing out that there's a substantial difference between referring a friend on day 1 (and marrying them on day 5), and referring a friend a few years into the game (and resetting all progress on the marriage medals).
I like the idea of commitment medals requiring commitment, and I like that Torn is a slow-burn game, but I think the marriage medals might be a bit too slow-burn even for Torn.
I apologise if I made it sound like my 788 day committed sounded anything like an accomplishment, what I was merely trying to illustrate was that it is possible.
i have no doubt that it would suck to have to start all the way from the beginning but sorry to say that the purpose of any form of commitment medal should be based on the current set-up. You should not be able to re-marry and continue with the commitment time from the previous marriage.
... as far as I know the faction commitment merit still need you to be in the same faction. What changed is that you can leave and return to that one without having to start at 0 days again.
So: you don't get that commitment merit for joining multiple factions within 1,000 days. Why should this be for hopping beds changing partners be a better idea?