Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Renewable energy

Started by Isreal [1484253] on in Technology.

6 replies · 74 views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 7 / 7 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
7
Discussion span
→
People posting
4
Likes on archived posts
10
Authority score
7 / 100
Historical score
11 / 100
Story score
31 / 100
Engagement score
49 / 100
Isreal [1484253]

So recently I've been on this whole "renewable energy" kick, to get me closer to my self sustaining goal.



So so far I have a 12v 100w solar panel hooked to 4 12 volt battery bank ( assorted batteries, motorcycle battery, emergency light battery, car battery, and deep cycle battery.



I've been working on a little project to try and come up with a permenant renewable energy source( you know one that doesn't requrie sun light or wind) During my research in my quest of knowledge for this I became distracted ( which I easily do, due to my ADDness) when I found out it is indeed possible to turn just about any motor into a generator :o. Given the motor has magnets in them or if you are willing to install your own. Yes I know this was part of Telsa's invention when he found a way to make free energy.

Im just curious if anyone else here has a background in motors and/or renewable energy that could help me find a way to monitor how much energy I'm producing (if any) with the motor I have (lawn mower motor ). I have my tester with leads, I guess I just need to know where to stick them? And how much more do I need to take apart my old lawn mower before I can test it. ( I basically just took the top of it ).

Any and all help would be appreciated, and I'm not against trouble shooting with you guys to find the answer together.
Isreal [1484253]

To be clear the current problem I'm having is that, from my understanding, my lawn mower should be able to put out some voltage, given it's in motion, but I'm not sure where to put my leads from my volt meter, to see how much volts if any I'm producing.
Nekys [538682]

when I found out it is indeed possible to turn just about any motor into a generator

guess what...all generators are motors. a nuclear reactor is a huge kettle that boils water to spin a motor

what is your lawn mower running on? chances are it is not producing ANY electricity whatsoever
Isreal [1484253]

So after experimenting with my friend Kenny, who gave me resistance... ^.^ the whole way, I found out that a lawn mower motor probably would not produce electricity because although it had the magnets in it, it did not have the copper coil to react to it (I'm going off Kenny on this one)

So, I had Kenny tell me which motor(s) did have a mixture of copper and coil, which eventually led me to hooking up an exhaust fan to my volt meter ( I really did just so happen to have one laying around)

Since exhaust fans already have the cord connected to the motor, it was easy for me to know where to put my volt tester leads to measure.



Now to produce the little energy we got (300mv i was still excited ^.^) instead of turning the wheel itself, I held the wheel and spinned the motor, since from what I understand, the magnet and the copper has to be in motion to create the energy.

This however led me to wonder if I wanted to store the energy I was producing, though 300mv is hardly enough to do anything with, would I need a diode to do so? Or would I even lose D.C. Voltage hooking it to an AC wire anyway?



Also would a bigger magnet and/or more coils produce more energy at the same rate. I mean of course if I make the motor turn faster it should produce more, but how is it possible to create more energy at the same rate and preferable the same size? ð¤
Nekys [538682]

any electric motor can be a generator

in fact these motors are transformers of energy that can convert electricity in motion and vice versa

you spin it, and electricity comes out

you put in electricity and it spins

Theoretically yo produce more you need to spin it faster, have more coils, a stronger magnetic field

any of these 3 will increase the output, if i remember my physics correctly