I heard that it attacks some of the companies system in europe. Does any of you had or heard this happened to home user? Do you have any concern about this?
Ransomware attacks
Started by Icok [1982604] on in Technology.
About this thread
Posts archived: 10 / 10 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
- Archived posts
- 10
- Discussion span
- →
- People posting
- 9
- Likes on archived posts
- 9
- Authority score
- 8 / 100
- Historical score
- 18 / 100
- Story score
- 34 / 100
- Engagement score
- 55 / 100
I heard that it attacks some of the companies system in europe. Does any of you had or heard this happened to home user? Do you have any concern about this?
if you are using windows you just need to install the latest updates and you are fine.
This ransomware can hit any windows machine.
.....and has been for years...a little bit of common sense goes a long way to be honest
If on Windows just disable your Samba (SMB1, SMB2) shares which are enabled by default. Run these commands in an admin powershell prompt.
Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/LanmanServer/Parameters" SMB1 -Value 0 -Force
Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/LanmanServer/Parameters" SMB2 -Value 0 -Force
Just don't click on suspicious links, and download from unofficial sources
And also backup regularly, so you can fall back to it.
Always, ALWAYS back up! Windows can be compromised in seconds! Even the best anti malware software can be evaded. Always update your dictionaries, and be skeptical of downloads from unusual sources.
If you still don't trust Windows, try some friendly distributions of Linux like Ubuntu. I think that should help.
Only reason I trust Windows is because I know how to use it. I'd be lost on hardening Linux.
For IT Pros - Anyway, if you want to see how easy Windows systems are compromised I'd recommend this run through in a virtual non-production environment. I thought it was terrifying how easy it was to perform some attacks :| I know its not the same as Ransomware, but still shows how reliant we are on systems that are easily compromised ATA Playbook on Technet
Edit: Fixed link.
Anyone can be a victim of an attack, software knows no difference between a business or consumer. The highest risk comes when frequently transferring files between work / home.
I recommend IOBits Anti-Malware (Free Edition) it always brings out patches during attacks to prevent further issues. Webroot Complete is great at preventing the malicious software ever being downloaded but costs.