4 replies · 88 views · thread synced · 7 days ago
· View on torn.com
About this thread
Posts archived:5 / 5 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
Archived posts
5
Discussion span
→
People posting
4
Likes on archived posts
2
Posts by staff, officers and moderators
1
Authority score
26 / 100
Historical score
14 / 100
Story score
26 / 100
Engagement score
44 / 100
Most-liked replies
mug[553318]Committee
· 2 likes · Personally If i was going to get back into doing cardio after a long break of not doing it i would start off easy on a treadmill for at least 20-30 minutes at a fast speed walking pace (3-4) and …
Does anyone know of any good intermediate HIIT cycles which are good for building up cardio rather than just being fat loss looking to improve my fitness
Personally If i was going to get back into doing cardio after a long break of not doing it i would start off easy on a treadmill for at least 20-30 minutes at a fast speed walking pace (3-4) and on an incline (10-15, going over 10 is not good on the knees just as a heads up). Then once i can easily do 20-30 minutes like that ill add in or switch to HIIT, if you can't do it for 10 minutes you have something to work towards and build up. (as a note if you do do an incline on the treadmill, holding on anywhere really negates the incline portion of the exercise as you pull yourself into more of a flat position rather then incline). Stair stepper is also pretty beast, but neither of these two are HIIT.
look up tabata cardio for some ideas for HIIT- you can just jump right into it if you really wanted to i don't know where you are at but personally I like to start off slightly easier on a treadmill just because i'm very lazy when it comes to cardio but you can easily adjust it to work out for any fitness level. Generally all i do for HIIT is jump rope, on some occasion sprints on a treadmill both, and on even rarer occasion battle ropes all using the same time interval of 20 seconds on 10 seconds rest (a 2:1 ratio of workout:rest which over time you can either increase the time up from 20 seconds up to a minute max or increase the time of the cardio from 4 minutes total to 15 minutes total or a combination of both to keep progressively pushing yourself).
pushing a sled is probably hands down the best form of HIIT and cardio if you have some sort of sled in your gym - if you goto a gym, easily can adjust the weights to make it easier or very difficult.
If you can't do it at first for 20 seconds on 10 seconds rest for 4 minutes, do 30 seconds on 30 seconds rest or something easier whatever you need to do just to complete it until you can build it up to that 2:1 ratio. You can adjust any form of HIIT to be more or less intense.
I began training around four years ago when I was at my all time heaviest (18stone/252lb) and I began with light resistance training (didn't really know what I was doing back then and had nobody to show me) and interval training.
All I did was warm up with a brisk walk for a couple of minutes, then proceed to jogging for two minutes straight, then I'd run for 30 seconds. I could just about manage that but after a few weeks of repeating that process for 30-40minutes at a time, I found myself running for 2 minutes then sprinting for 1 minute. If it's stamina you want to increase, that kind of aerobic cardio is great, you'll even shed a good few lbs if your diet is on point too.
Personally, over the past couple of years I've gotten into weight training/resistance training/bodybuilding (whatever you wanna call it) and have adopted the attitude that lifting weights is the best form of cardio. It's low impact and so beneficial to your health and overall wellbeing in my opinion. I have a fairly physical job and used to be absolutely shattered by the end of the day, yet since I've been training seriously, my job is a piece of cake and I have more ham enough energy to hit the gym for a couple of hours even after a long, hard day. My stamina is crazy, I'm stronger than I've ever been, my skin is clean and clear and I feel awesome most of the time! And I'm not even half way to the level of fitness I want to achieve yet ðªð¼
If you're just starting out, realistically the type of interval training you'll be doing won't be high intensity, hence "HI", although it'll probably feel like it is ;) but it will be soon enough and you'll notice your progress and it'll feel awesome! Also, don't take too long rests. Test your body, keep it guessing, don't do the same thing for too long and do what makes you happy! There's nothing worse than feeling like you've gotta do something that bores you, so if you don't like running, try swimming, lifting weights, cycling, freakin trampolining, whatever! If I'm not in the mood to hit the gym I sometimes go play badminton or squash and go cycling or even walk the dog but throw in some uphill sprinting/box jumping up steps, where nobody can see me obviously haha
I wanna know how you get in with whatever you choose to do, so keep us updated :D
I did the opposite to you as i started with resistance training and ive been doing that for 1 1/2 years and i agree a heavy back/legs is great cardio but its still fairly short bursts, i think this will allow me to keep up with beginner HIIT workouts so i can start to work my way up to being fit without having to run or swim which to me are just monotonous whereas HIIT seems fun and can be switched up to keep your body guessing and i dont really have a social group of people who play sports like badminton otherwise that would be great.
At the moment though i get worn out if i try to run a mile which has meant cardio really is something that needs working on as at this stage in my life a run like that shouldnt feel like my lungs are on fire
I will be trying tabata as suggested in the 1st comment and possibly the sprint thing ( if i dont feel to ashamed of myself haha ) ill let you know how i find them
Go to Arnold's 1%...if you want cardio(he posts a lot on reddit about fitness too), but don't want to loose mass then cycling in sprint intervals are the best...or anything that gives your leg full range of motion.