Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

AMD Ryzen chips

Started by Tolshortte [648554] on in Technology.

8 replies · 70 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 9 / 9 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
9
Discussion span
→
People posting
6
Likes on archived posts
3
Authority score
7 / 100
Historical score
17 / 100
Story score
30 / 100
Engagement score
48 / 100
Tolshortte [648554]

anyone think the new Ryzen line will finally offer a competitive alternative to Intel?

I have a Phenom II 1090T x 6 in the PC I'm currently using. was doing some shopping today and came across these new chip sets. I opted for the i7 7700 in the end but the 8core 16thread amd chip caught my eye. while my current processor is way outdated it still runs all the games I need it to on high to ultra high settings. in comparison this new Ryzen 1800x is like going from the Atari to a ps4 lol.

just curious what others think about this new line. amd has always served me well even if they haven't topped the charts.
microlost [2040671]

I personally prefer Intel, but my main rig has an AMD (only because I got that prebuilt for free) I think that the Ryzen will be powerful enough, but with how much brand loyalty Intel has it will be a challenge
Biggles [1665757]

It's not. The Ryzen is a great chip and blows everything Intel has out the water in a price to performance ratio for most general uses. The only thing Intel still has in it's favour is single-thread performance, so an 8+ core Intel chip will outperform Ryzen... but it'll cost significantly more as well.

I do a lot of IT purchasing related stuff, so I'm delighted to see a bit of competition again and look forward to AMD releasing server chips. 32 cores on one chip is amazing stuff and it's at a price that's seriously competitive.
du48gune [1923290]

Hopefully, AMD will get Intel to sweat, unfortunately not with their graphic cards to make Nvidia to sweat though.


AwakeNoWokeFail [79965]

Price to performance. I'll pay for performance anytime, any price and Intel wins.

I do have a laptop with an Amd c50? 2 cores. Works great for work stuff and playing Candy Crush (which I don't play). It handles Flatout with little stutter.
AwakeNoWokeFail [79965]

I have an msi GT72s 6QD Dominator G superlappy which I'm currently using as my desktop because my desktop...i7 3770k, Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti, 32 GB ram needs to be fixed. Stupid ssd died.

I'm 55, my eyes are going south and I'm happy with what I play with. You ever watch cable tv in the 80's?