Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Staff

Started by Mat-Senpai [952164] on in General Discussion.

69 replies · 1.07k views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 70 / 70 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

megalomaniacal [1542618] Committee Committee

I definitely agree that things have gone down hill since Marc stepped down, but there must have been internal strife much before that (leading to Clansy quitting early) but that is speculation of course. The new guidelines have not had a good effect on the forums in my opinion; quite the opposite really.



But there is no denying that the quality of staff's work since then has declined. I hesitate to say quality of staff because some senior staff have gone to shit while some new staff have done a great job. I think saying quality if staff work is a fair way to state it.



With all that said, I would bet that staff applications are being accepted. Be the change you want to see!
bogie [148747] Admin Staff

The issue is as more and more old staff leave the quality of training is also going to decline. You're left with staff who, through no fault of their own, aren't prepared for certain scenarios. The fact that game knowledge isn't a requirement is a whole nother issue in itself...



This isnt likely to change though, even during my time as staff there were plenty of times where I had to be given cases that were mishandled by other staffers simply due to the fact that they weren't experienced enough at dealing with them... Again not always their fault, some things came up so rarely that there was just no opportunity to train people on it. Hacking (not phishing) and dealing with appropriate refunds and things like lost point reports were good examples of that.



In some cases it came down to the fact that some staff were outright better at certain departments than others so a lot of cases of that nature were given to them (Hate Train at the time was the main go to for RMT and naturally picked up these cases), but when he left there was quite a big gap to be filled.
bogie [148747] Admin Staff

At the time yeah he would have taken down loads, how it compares to recent jailings though I don't know. Given the number of high profile players recently taken down I would wager there have been larger single instances in more recent history. I would put money on Hate's overall number being higher than all staff to date combined though.
Butterfree [140788]

I do remember a lot more nazi staff back in the day, pretty sure it was all under clansy. I think they just relaxed a lot of rules over the years and more players joined the game so staff do not make as much of a presence anymore. Edit: I have to add that I do wish the forum rules were changed to mimic the older ones however, when the forums had more rules back in the day they were a shit load more active and less spammy.
Butterfree [140788]

You gotta figure when the game came out, everyone including Ched that signed up was pretty damn young...It's been over 10 years and I think people have just matured ;)
Tyrion [1967379]

Hmm, I might apply for staff in the future myself :p

I know I would regret it, but I'm a bit masochistic.

To get back a bit on topic, all this recent attacks on (mostly) volunteered staff are too easy and most claims are just crappy attention seekers imo

If you like Torn and log on daily, never underestimate those who volunteer to try to make things better here.


Rosie [1185614]

...Bogie was one mean mf...... :P

....Never had any issues with staff, old or new.... I applaud them all for doing a job that gets you a lot of abuse... and you don't get paid!

...Without all the staff the game wouldn't run.... :)
Ninivah [1950421]

I don't think the forums are being moderated well at the moment. They just look so messy and cluttered. The lulz were funny but now it's just exhausting. I see certain people post and I don't get why they still have the ability to post. They aren't directly breaking the rules but they aren't really contributing to any discussion and they're just getting people riled up in the process.

Other than that, I don't really have much to complain about. I usually only talk to people in PM outside of the forums. I stay out of other chats so I can't attest to or against any of staff's biases. Though, I did see this one comment not too long ago about staff saying they don't read the chat logs in reports and I thought that was a really sloppy practice. I don't expect staff to read all the logs for the day so I understand how someone violating the rules would avoid fed if they were never reported but I'd expect the chat to be read if a report has been launched. Again, not the whole chat but the lines before and after the ones featured in the report so that staff could get a better of what happened and of course punish other people involved in the situation if they too broke the rules (regardless if they were reported or not). Staff admitting they don't do that just fortifies other people's conspiracy of biases when they bring their plight to the public's attention and makes it harder to sympathize with staff on how hard their job is because it doesn't look like they're even doing right in the first place.