Hey guys. For the past two days I've been working on an app for receiving push notifications on: new events, messages, full life, energy, nerve. You know, just like DoctorN, but independent from a pc browser. Screenshots below:
[image: i.imgur.com] [image: i.imgur.com] At the moment, the only functionality is:
Register / login. Save key. Receive push notifications.
Also, this one doesn't consume your bandwidth at all. It's all done in the backend, you receive only the final "product".
Anyone willing to help me with testing?
If so, please join Discord:
Discord
I haven't tested so not sure but by the way you worded it, we need to register, like with an email, why?
Device management. Storing your api key, the last sent event, message, etc (not the content, but the id / date ).
This doesn't consume your bandwith at all, every api call is done on my server.
Good Guy OP
That seems really dumb. No offense.
Why does it need to contact your server at all? Obviously it's going to use bandwidth, it still has to connect to your server and receive the data, which I think is not good, for one. Two, you need to register for api key storage? Store it on the phone, it shouldn't have to go to the server. There should be no interaction with your server at all, ideally.
It's got a -1 for me simply because of the privacy concerns. :P
Well, as DoctorN shows, you consume ~500MB/month with API calls every 5 seconds.
With my app, it's just a open socket waiting for notifications. One notification has ~1KB.
You receive 0 notifications in a month? 0 KB consumed(except for the first when you send the API key)
You receive 1000 notifications? ~ 1MB bandwidth
500.000 notifications? ~500MB bandwidth
Now, do you really think you have more than 1000 notifications / month?
Alssoooo, the fact that there is nothing for push notifications on mobile(except if you have your pc open and link DoctorN to pushbullet)
Does it sound dumb now?
Do not forget about the battery life, which is greatly improved for apps using push notifications instead of background polling methods.
Also that.
I admit being wrong about the sending data to server, but the e-mail registration still seems unneeded. You only really need the API key; only reason that wouldn't work is if you have separate functions beside API that would need to be kept across key changes, otherwise just the key would be needed. I'm more worried about phishing than I am battery life / bandwidth etc. You sorta deserve it if you put your real info on apps like this, but still. :p
That's a valid concern, but very easily solvable: do not use your primary email.
If you're that concerned with privacy, you certainly have disposable/public emails. If you don't, this is not an issue you're genuinely worried about.
At the end of the day, if you're not extremely strict about your email usage, you might as well consider it public knowledge. Emails are still not encrypted end-to-end, so you have to personally vet every single outbound and inbound server (and every server in-between) in order to guarantee it's kept a secret. Picking at an app like this about such a small detail seems pretty odd considering the huge efforts needed everywhere else for that level of paranoia. Just hide your email like you'd do from every other single service.
Also, I do not even make email verification, it's just like a random username if you want. It's just easier for me to manage the devices with authentication than just the torn API key.
Changelog:
-added travel notifications
-added cooldowns notifications
-fixed some things
-added settings to change how often to make api calls on the backend
In the future:
-widget for desktop with life, energy, nerve, happiness
-subscribe to notifications for certain travel items ("The stock for Chamois Plushies has been replenished")
-app beautifying.
no notification sound , can you fix it
Will do that tomorrow. For bugs discussion please use the Discord channel, thank you.
Already solved it. You will need to uninstall your app and install it back.
Now: You have led, vibrate and sound.
Also, on tap, you will be redirected to the certain torn page on your browser.
Rated + although it is no use for me yet.
I wish there is one for iOS... :(
Any chance you're willing to open source this? Or maybe willing to share with a selected few? I'd be happy to contribute.
I realize access to the back-end server could be a problem. I may be willing to provision a shared Linode server or something depending on the bandwidth needs.
For sure.
Guys, great news. Although I haven't done much on the Android app anymore, I have finally began working on an iOS app :)
Guys.....bad news :(
I can't send push notifications without having an Apple Developer Account which costs $100 a year. Unless people would donate that, I won't pay that out of my own pocket.