Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Hunting

Started by Jason187 [1808995] on in Hobbies & Interests.

14 replies · 118 views · thread synced · 7 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 15 / 15 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
15
Discussion span
→
People posting
6
Likes on archived posts
28
Authority score
9 / 100
Historical score
23 / 100
Story score
45 / 100
Engagement score
57 / 100

Most-liked replies

Jason187 [1808995]

What do you like to hunt? Do you hunt for food or just for sport? How long have you been hunting? Feel free to post pics and share your lies, I mean hunting stories.
Jason187 [1808995]

I'll start. I've been hunting white tail deer for about 4 years now. The first year I ever hunted, I went out into the woods here in beautiful Indiana during muzzle loader season. I had been hunting for a week unsuccessfully. When I arrived at my tree stand on this particular day, there were 2 small bucks (maybe 6 pointers) fighting less than 40 yards from my stand and another small 6 pointer rubbing on a tree less than 30 yards from my stand. I loaded a primer into my rifle and aimed at what appeared to be the bigger of the 3 bucks. I was excited, my heart was pounding, my arms were a little shaky.
This was my first encounter with deer in the wild and they were so close. I gathered myself and slowly raised my rifle to take aim. I had a fantastic heart shot lined up, so I squeezed the trigger. The damn bullet falls out of the end of my rifle and travels about 2 feet. My powder load must've gotten damp some how. So now I have to hide behind the tree and reload. I fumble around for my powder and pour it down my barrel then load my bullet and ram it down, and finally got around to putting a new primer in.
I must've made too much noise removing the first primer, which got jammed in my rifle, because as I was putting a new one in my firearm, the bigger of the 3 bucks came wandering around the tree I was hiding behind and spotted me. I stood completely still for what seemed like 10 minutes. It was probably more like 2 minutes in reality. The buck stood there staring at me, stomping his hoof, wiggling his ears, waiting for me to move, but I didn't. He finally looked away, maybe thinking that I wasn't a threat, and started scraping the tree in front of me. At last I had an opportunity to get the primer in my weapon and redeem myself.
I was completely focused on this buck less than 10 yards away, so I must've missed the doe that was with him. As i was placing the new primer in my weapon, the doe spots me and blows at me. This alerted all the bucks of my presence, and they all ran off before I could take the shot. This will haunt me forever.
Moral of this story, Keep your powder fresh.
Addicted_ [166423]

I am 4th generation hunter,for me it is like food and water - i cant exist without it

My father posing with a very big jackal that he had just killed:

[image: s3.amazonaws.com]

I
like to hunt mainly quail,duck,phaesant,doves and rabbit and i always eat what i have killed, thats how proper hunters should be . Hunting is not a sport it is a part of human nature. I have been going with my father and grandfather on the hunting trips since i can walk. That way i learned proper gun handling,safety and respect towards the animals. They allowed me to carry a 12 gauge shotgun when i was 15,although rarely. I got my license when i became 18 years of age but already had quite an experience.

I never had the chance to shoot at deer,boar,jackal ,wolf but i missed a fox once. The guns i own and use are one 12 gauge and one 16 gauge shotguns, i mostly use the 12 gauge. I also own one 22 caliber single shot sporting rifle which i use to have fun and kill crows :D

My dream is to go one day and hunt a leopard or a cougar with the shotgun but im kinda poor for now so may be later on in life.
Johnny_Begood [1278090]

i was brought up only to hunt for meat, and that taking a life wasnt a sport. now there were exceptions for pests like coyotes because they posed a threat to pets, livestock, people, ect... but i was brought up not to be a trophy hunter. hunting was for meat. i have been hunting for as long as i can remember. i hunt white tails, squirrels, rabbits, and dove. never really got into duck hunting because there aren't a lot of good places around georgia to hunt, and all the good places are so packed during hunting season that your lucky if you don't get peppered when you get some fly over. for white tail i normally use a Winchester 1200, 12 gauge, just because were i hunt has some pretty thick woods so using a rifle is hard because you cant find anything in a scope, but if i'm hunting in an open spot i use a 30-06, 270, or a 30-30 depending on what i have at the time. i was trying to post a picture but cant figure out how so when i do ill post one of the big buck i got a few years back
Cyrax [249578]

Duck shooting season now, in the country I live (New Zealand) Good fun! nothing like getting out early and stalking the ponds and rivers. I have had a good season got quite a few ducks, got some rabbits the other day too. All delicious. Made some salami out of Paradise ducks I shot. I usually pluck the mallards I get they seem to be better tasting.

Threw the rabbits into a casserole after I flash fried them, rabbit actually tastes really good! I've forgotten. Hopefully going to set out on a 3 day hunt in the bush soon, looks for some wild pigs and deer.
Jason187 [1808995]

September 1st bow season opens here. A friend of mine has a nursery and so he can get a nuisance license for the property to keep the deer from damaging the trees and shrubs on his property/business. I will be legally hunting with a rifle during bow season. The freezer will be full this winter. I know it's almost cheating, but it's legal :)
TrAsH_FiSh [692571]

I hunt everything depending on the season. Or at least I try to if given the opportunity. This morning I headed out to the deer stand for a little whitetail deer action. I already have one harvested for the year hoping to make it two this A.M.
TrAsH_FiSh [692571]

We just had our first hunting related death here in South Carolina. A 18 year old boy was shot over the weekend by his friend who he was hunting with. The friend mistook the boys movements in the woods for a deer and shot him. The young man died on his 18th Birthday. Please make sure you know what you are shooting at and that you are wearing your Orange Hat Coat Or Vest on private land and public land. Simply a tragedy for the family and the friend who now has to live with this haunting him for the rest of his life.
Cyrax [249578]

There has been multiple hunting deaths here. People not following the 7 basic rules, one of them being 'IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET, BEYOND ALL DOUBT'

Buck fever is what they usually blame it on.
TrAsH_FiSh [692571]

Shot a big ol Nanny doe this morning! Second deer of the season for me! Won't have to buy red meat for a wile now. Got to like that :)
Jason187 [1808995]

Got a double on Thanksgiving morning. 2 mature doe, both 10 yds from my stand and about 2 minutes apart. Processing the meat now. Got my buck on opening day, so I'm at my limit. It has been a productive season here. My freezer will be full and I'm very thankfull for that. Happy hunting, and be safe!!!
TrAsH_FiSh [692571]

3 deer limit WOW I would have to move out of that stats lol. We have no limit on bucks and are issued 4 doe tags. Then every Saturday is a doe day so we don't have to use the tags on Saturday. The only limit on the doe's are one per day this along with a 5 month hunting season makes South Carolina a Whitetail deer hunters dream state.

On a sad note I had a misfire this morning on a doe from a pump 30-06 I had the magazine in wrong which interfered with the hammer striking the firing pin. Figured it out though and am ready to give it a go in the morning again.

I've seen a ton of deer this year but have only harvested 2 a 6 point and a Doe. I should have 5 in the freezer with the one today but I had bought a new Mosberg 12 Gauge at Wal-Mart and it has a bad misfire problem. Just sent it back to Mosberg 2 days ago and am hoping to get it back in working order in a week or so. It misfired on a 8 point and a 6 point. And then the misfire from the 06 this morning (Which was my fault) this has defiantly been a frustrating season for me but luckily we have till Jan 2 and I feel strongly that I can make up for the mishaps if I hunt hard enough. I see them pretty much ever time I get in the stand. :)
Jason187 [1808995]

3 deer limit is plenty for my family. I could travel to different counties to harvest more, but no need this year. It is very unfortunate to have the misfires. I shoot a Mossberg 500 with 2 3/4" Winchester dual bond sabot slugs and they are very accurate. I was able to put 2 slugs through 1 hole at 50 yds with this setup, so I was impressed with the grouping. Also 2 of my 3 kills were heart shot, so I am very happy with this slug. INext year I may try the Remington Accu tips, as I hear great things about their accuracy and they are a brass sabot which will be safer for my child to consume. If your area is that populated, you have plenty of time left for a good season.