Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Depression

Started by A_Friend [1986997] on in General Non-related.

72 replies · 722 views · thread synced · 7 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 73 / 73 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Lonestar [1151936]

As a sufferer of depression myself - I too have in the past created a thread much akin to this.

I have recently had a rather bad spell bought on by many things but mainly work I think - I have quite a stressful job working in accounts for a blue chip property consultancy. I took 2 months worth of sick leave but am now back and already feeling the stress!

Depression isn't 'feeling a little bit sad' - its where the whole world is on you pushing you down. Anxiety increases as a result of this and prolonged exposure to this pressure and you enter a vicious cycle where you find it harder and harder to cope each day.

As a 41 year old with a family, I have little choice but to muddle along with this life I have created whilst relying on medication prescribed to me but if I was 20 years younger and was a sufferer - I would change everything about my life. I certainly wouldn't be working here and would rather be employed in a shop where you turn up and do your 8 hours each day. Move away, start again. That woulds have helped me, but I can see that it would leave others feeling isolated if they aren't around their family and friends.

All I can say from my experience is that you have to fight it - if you just take your meds and do nothing, you will never get out of it. Eat healthily, try to exercise, stay active - find something to occupy your mind, Easier said than done I know, but its how I keep on fighting it. I refuse to let it beat me.

Depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain - an invisible illness but a real one nonetheless. There should be no stigma to it - fight it - you can win.
Luzyfer [2067828]

You know, I've seriously considered suicide for a while when I was heavily depressed. And I didn't wanna die, I just wanted everyone and everything to stop bothering me. I just wanted to sleep and never wake up.

And as I started planning how I might go about it I noticed how the thought of dying made me scared and sad and even more desperate. There's no way to kill yourself without traumatizing someone else, mostly your family and friends. And they'll miss you. Even people who you think don't like you might start crying once they hear about you.

And once you're gone, there won't be a spirit of you sitting in the clouds and watching others go about their lives. Your consciousness will vanish, your brain stops working, no more electricity flowing through your body, you'll be dead. You can't even imagine it because the you that is thinking will be gone. You won't make any experiences after death, won't travel through worlds and galaxies as a ghost.

You better live the life you've got because there'll be no other. You can sit in the corner and cry about how awful the world is or you can at least try to make it less awful. Believe me when I say that you won't be the only one.
sin [771805]

it's called lack of willpower on their part. and it doesn't matter what you say to people like Semiramis, because they like to make themselves a glutton for punishment.

more people are depressed in the 21st century than ever before. these reasons are what Semiramis had mentioned. having to work, pay bills, and try to focus on the responsibilities of life. it's not like it was 100 years ago where the dreamers could actually follow their dreams. now, people just feel like slaves to the grind.

i don't fall for the "poor me" card with these folks anymore. i'll never bring myself down to their level to try to help, when they don't want to help themselves. happy pills are just a reality blocker imo. yes, there are a few out there that benefit from it, but the majority of these emo's are just dependent on escaping reality.





i like the part here where someone mentioned that depression was a mental illness, then goes on to say at the end "you can beat it". i consider a mental illness as something that you can't control. but depression is controllable, but it takes a little willpower to want to climb out of depression..

like Lonestar's job that causes him stress. but he did mention things might have been different 20 years ago if he would have done things differently.

im 40 years old and one of my cats haven't been home in a couple days. im a lil depressed, but that doesn't mean i need to take medication to block my emotions because i can't handle it.

my 22 year old daughter is going through a bad break up in real life, and it does cause me a lil stress because im in the middle of it. but i dont need medication to block my feelings because i can't handle it.

i have to wake up and go work 12 hour shifts and it sometimes sucks, but i don't need medication to help me get through the day because i get depressed there sometimes.

idk why some people have to melodramatic over the smallest shit.
MachineGunSteve [184119]

No it's not. It is about all the "moments" you have doing those things... of course you can focus on the big picture... do this, and it leads to that, but because you are focusing on the big picture you miss the details. Making kids sounds really crap when you say it like that, but when you are in your lovers arms and listening to them breath, and you feel that nothing else matters for just that moment in time... seeing your child look up at you and giggle with joy because it sees a butterfly land on your shoulder... that is what life is about.

We are all dying the moment we are born, but most of us have a chance to enjoy those little moments if we stop dwelling on the big picture long enough to enjoy the little ones.
Sweeney_Todd [27468]

I suffered bad a couple of years ago and thought I beat it, but it comes back. Ever now and again I drop or slip. I think mine is mainly realated to ****ed up sleep, but the key now is to spot what's coming and deal with it...

Never give up... [:disappointed:]
StrayDog09 [2029517]

I get you man. And sometimes the worst part of it is not even knowing the cause. I remembered going through a really bad phase a year ago. couldn't sleep properly, couldn't even eat without forcing myself to, I felt so anxious I even got to thinking I should probably put an tend to it. Managed to pull myself out of it but it still comes and goes.
TrAsH_FiSh [692571]

It seems you might care to much about what others think about your accomplishments in life were you are going and a general feeling of worthlessness about yourself. Not trying to bypass the chat filter here but I find this to be the truest meme on the internet and you may find it helpful. We worry way to much about what others think you have to give that up and start worrying about what makes you happy! Not everyone is suppose to be a lawyer or a politician or a billionaire. Accept who you are and just be happy that you wake up each day! You are important no matter were your life is at this point and time. **** what everyone else thinks or has achieved Be the best you can be and be happy with that!



[image: profileimages.torn.com] .


Sweeney_Todd [27468]

Your picture sums it up at times. The book I read was called "f**k it" and is all about stepping back and realising not everything is up to you, that life has it's own flow and you are just better off floating by and seeing where it takes you... [:sick:]
Sweeney_Todd [27468]

The boat is a lie. That's just the way people expect you to go...

Of recent, depression does not leave you alone. It comes back again and will not just go... [:sick:]
Luzyfer [2067828]

Of course willpower will help, but losing it is also a symptom of depression which makes it so incredibly hard to get out of it.

I remember being heavily depressed and looking back now it seems like I could have just got up and done something, but it seemed like such a big step. Like you look up a really tall solid cement wall and people tell you to "just get over it", but it's like 5 meters high and there's nowhere you can step or get a grip on. You just stand there, don't know where to start or what to do, it's just way too huge. But you have to get on the other side. It's only when you finally try against all odds to get up there that you notice you were sitting the whole time looking up at the wall. But before that you have no way of noticing that you're sitting, it all simply seems impossible to manage.

That's what makes it so hard to fight depression. When you're depressed everything is just too much, the whole world too big and scary and not big enough to stand up.
Luzyfer [2067828]

Tbh I don't give jack shit about christmas. I like to give people presents and I like getting presents. That's it. I don't care if it's a birthday, christmas, easter or goddamn dawn of the literal dead. And I also don't give much about this "christmas spirit", decorating the christmas tree is kinda fun, but I could do without it.