13 replies · 201 views · thread synced · 4 days ago
· View on torn.com
About this thread
Posts archived:14 / 14 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
Archived posts
14
Discussion span
→
People posting
10
Likes on archived posts
36
Posts by staff, officers and moderators
1
Authority score
73 / 100
Historical score
20 / 100
Story score
37 / 100
Engagement score
60 / 100
Most-liked replies
Rottweiler[234359]
· 6 likes · im far too drunk to understand this but thumbs up
IceBlueFire[776]Officer
· 1 likes · 1) They can. https://api.torn.com/faction/11581?selections=basic&key= 2) They can. https://api.torn.com/user/1338804?selections=profile&key= 3) That would only work if the other site was sending something to Torn. Sure torn could alert you if your API key is used from a random IP, but that doesn't …
1. Any faction member should be able to get the basic faction data; list of members.for their own faction without special access from leader.
2. Basic query on a player should show what faction they are in (readable by all players).
These would allow (to someone who gathered the API data regularly and kept and graphed it) watching a faction-mates grow in level and crime count -- or not (i.e. spot the slackers).
3. Confirmation messaging - Someone provides an API key to a site (hypotheticaly torntabulous.info) delegating to that site the collection of API data on behalf of the user ... the site doesn't know now that it received the API key from the owner and not from someone else who has it. A form message could be sent to the player in-game (obviously different from mail): Dear cockroach, torntabulous.info got your API key from 10.9.8.7 for use in job stats collection please press Good (if you shared the apikey) or Bad (if not).
3) That would only work if the other site was sending something to Torn. Sure torn could alert you if your API key is used from a random IP, but that doesn't help in telling you if that was a site or another user. If you're worried about it, just change your key...
You can already monitor levels, and crime progression and such, you just have to do it for every member, and record it daily...
I believe IBF is correct on this, but I think I understand what you're getting at.
The site we play at, www.torn.com should offer this instead of forcing players to use an outside source to track and follow players. Would very much so simplify the whole third party issue, and could be set up where a player had to "turn on" the feature in order to use it (this would prevent players who are more casual play style from absorbing more attention than necessary from the site)
As the top tier of more serious players creates the majority of the regular activity on Torn, it would be nice to see an update geared towards making their play style much easier and functional. Most serious players use IBF's site, TornStats, because of all of the amazing features it allows us to use. Would be really cool to see Torn absorb TornStats abilities into a faction driven set of functions. Thumbs up Roachie
Item 1 - this did not work for me ('Incorrect ID-entity relation' : A requested selection is private) until leader BFM granted access.
Item 2 - You're right I can see this on other people -- didn't realise that.
I am in fact recording data obtained by my key on my faction members but the complication comes in if I do this on a website that I open to everybody providing to them the ability to monitor _their_ factions. To do so I they will have to share their API key with my site and I will want to know that I got the key from the actual owner.
Imagine if I (as the operator of a new site) and the existing operator of tornstats were both unscrupulous and submitted keys we have to the other site to gain info not as agreed and delegated to us by the key owner ... would be bad.
I think this is a bad idea. Not down rating or anything. This would cause people to plant spies into other factions, spying for free on their battle stats.
Battle stats have an obvious sensitivity about them that means they should never be visible to anyone except the owner. But for OC planning and execution there is an argument for nerve to be visible to other players. Under the current scheme finding nerve by querying "bars" requires you to have the player's own API key. Naturally many people won't want be willing to share that because of the extent of discovery (battlestats, money ...).
If the control was more fin-grained so that they could share their nerve without sharing everything that would help.
Another idea is that sharing historical data won't give an unfair advantage. if I (that is anybody) could read a player's location and nerve _as it was 24 hours ago_ then I can look up whether you were delaying an OC in my faction without risk that I'll use that to attack you immediately your plane lands (cos barring rare Torn resets we don't have time travel).