Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

who cares

Started by -gUNz- [984073] on in General Discussion.

83 replies · 1.85k views · thread synced · 8 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 84 / 84 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

-gUNz- [984073]

I just looked at xanax usage as a general measure of stat level.

I thought about sorting by activity, but every team has highly active folks and completely inactive folks.

The scoreboard shows how much more active PP is than anyone else, but that gets clouded by their team as a whole being more motivated (who doesn't get excited at the prospect of being on a winning team) so that the higher activity level of the 204 is somewhat obscured.


-gUNz- [984073]

The top 100 stats (or at least MOST of them) are absolutely be in the graph. Unless they made it to the top 100 without taking thousands of xanax (so, yeah the SSL folks aren't on my graph, lol). [:smiley:]
Candyman [1318199]

Can you please define all the colored lines per team ....so we know how to spin our wheel for the next elimination round...?
Butters [34298]

That's the thing - you can't do that as the majority of those players wouldn't have 'murica as an option.

The odds of a female player getting PP as an option are much higher than the 1 in 11 chance of a male player getting any other team and, while nobody was sure it would work, it was exploited once it was confirmed.

There's a lot of hyperbole here, but if we're being on the level about this then the someone from amongst the group of players who noted that you could manipulate the random team allocation mechanic to a significant degree by switching gender should have reported it - after all that is what is supposed to happen with exploits is it not?

Do I agree with Ched's over-correction?

Not sure how I feel about it to be honest, but that doesn't change the fact that the PP plan to win themselves the competition easily by deliberately bypassing a mechanic designed to introduce some some degree of balance amongst the teams probably doesn't pass the sniff test.

Edit: that's not to say they can't win it - the other players outside the 204 will have to work harder and then the 204 can come in to do as much damage as possible in short bursts before duke can get them and if the can still somehow pull it off in the face of Duke's suppression of the 204 then I don't think anybody will argue that they don't deserve it.
ACWang [520139]

If you want to stay objective just state the facts. Yes PP has 200 above 2.8k Xanax but (presumably because of same colors) MM, Pirates, and Illuminati has 70+ 2.8k each combining a higher total over PP. So solely based on your Xanax metric 3 teams is sufficient to "balance" out PP. Average networth is a useless measure - sure with more resources you have the ability to buy cans or FHC but that doesn't mean you're going to, just as high activity doesnt mean youre going to make hits- thats why attacks made is the better assessment as it incorporates activity and resources put in.
ttyper [74099]

All the more reason us 204 should have been punished with radiation poisoning to reduce our stats. But I'm afraid there's some colloquial phrase about dead horses and beatings that applies here [:disappointed:]
ttyper [74099]

I agree; we did nothing wrong. But I also agree it wasn't in the spirit of the competition. My suggestion was that if (more accurately, when) Ched decided to intervene, he do so in a way that leaves it to the community and can keep the fun for all. Duke's intervention was an overreaction that further exacerbated the issues.
JK-Blue [1822480]

I'ld love a complete dataset. Identify the 204 and separate them in that graph to prove that female accounts have a similar ratio in xanax taken compared to other accounts and that the 204 are the only cause. Doubt that's going to happen though.

You might find PP was already stacked. As is all female accounts had access to PP, thus all top female accounts had access to PP instead of 1/3 last year meaning that technically even without the influx and sufficient interest PP could've been more powerful then other teams.

Assumptions:

1. Randomization should've gotten roughly 25% of all participating female accounts into PP and 75% distributed in the other 10 teams (this assumption can be validated without fishing out the 204 separately); check accounts for current sex within the 12 teams. Sure Girls are a minority but not that small of a minority seeing ched expected enough female accounts participating (assumption made from setting up 100% chance for PP in the selection process for female accounts to keep it as an option). If this data differs it can be due to 3 factors, girls really preferring to play together further stacking of the team than the 204 or not all female accounts had access to PP because the team filled up too fast (depending how the % tips).

2. Last year there were a good 500 participants in PP after a 1/3 chance so the interest for PP could've been good for around 1,500 accounts without the influx this year meaning the early slots (those filled by the most active people) would be filled faster too. There might be a lessened interest in the competition that you can factor in but given that PP was one of the 1,000 member teams it's probably safe to assume there was enough interest to fill it without the influx.

Additional checks

You could check the % of xanax use in general in female accounts compared to male accounts to validate that you have the same ratios to begin with.

Check the total number of active female accounts versus active male accounts in Torn to calculate a rough figure for interest in the competition by female accounts.
-gUNz- [984073]

?? Facts are pretty much all I have stated. I believe I'm pretty good at clarifying when something is my opinion. xD

Yes, again, the colors are a complete pain in the butt, sorry. Any excel gurus out there with tips on how to force excel to use more colors?

It's anywhere from 3-5 teams worth of high xanax players that were stacked. So, sure, if ALL the other players on this graph went against you they MIGHT stand a chance. The problem is that 9000 people can't all be active against 1000 people. There simply aren't enough targets to be effective (I mean both because the stacked targets are higher, AND just a lack of targets available). I have more on this subject but it's all theory and assumptions (politics, alliances, podium deals, etc...) so not gonna derail a data thread with that.

It's easy for someone with 28B net worth to say that money isn't an issue. Your in game privilege is really showing there. :P Of course it is no longer an issue for YOU or most of the other 204. Players at that level make more in 1 day than the other 8600 people outside of this graph make in an entire month! It IS a factor whether you dismiss it or not.

Now the big one... activity. When I refer to activity in regards to this elimination of course it means things that affect the elimination. The data I pulled didn't even include activity (attacks, revs, or overall activity) because I didn't want this chart cluttered by it. I did LOOK at activity, and of course PP is off the charts. That much is obvious just looking at the scoreboard. Not even sure why you mention it at all because anyone looking at the scoreboard can see PP is twice as active as most teams.
-gUNz- [984073]

Anyone can look into the data:1. PP wasn't randomized. All female accounts had the option. No male accounts had the option. 100% binary, no randomization at all. I'm pretty sure (90%+) that way more than 25% of all actual female accounts in the competition ended up on PP. (loose observation, some educated guessing... I haven't looked into that data).

2. Sure, it makes sense that all females having PP as an option would have driven their numbers up. Add in the boost from word spreading that the team was stacked this year... surely that had an effect too. I haven't gone on a witch hunt to look for gender benders other than seeing 83 out of 100 from one faction. The infamous list says 204. Without all the tools at hand I can't (and honestly don't want to bother to) look for others. I have seen a good dozen or so confirm on the forums that they also switched to stack PP. I think a more realistic number is probably 250 (or more? no clue). So, if PP had 500 last year with randomized picks for females only. It makes sense to think they could have easily filled the other 750 spots or potentially filled all 1,000 spots without the stackers in the way.

Mentions: [script] Peaceful Elimination

ACWang [520139]

Where do u get 3-5 teams to equalize PP? The graph itself shows the best 3 teams, not counting PP, have a total of around 220 that have taken over 2.8k xanax. This "balances" things out solely on the xanax metric you graphed. Add in the next top 2 teams that have above 2.8k xanax (around 120 total) and you'll find those 5 teams combined to have 340 people above 2.8k xanax vs 200 people above 2.8k xanax. So where you think "ALL the other players on this graph went against you they MIGHT stand a chance" based on your graph when the top 5 teams have a 340 vs 200 against PP is largely skewed.

I said high networth is a useless measure for this competition because the bottom line networth influences is the attacks MADE. There are countless people with a fraction of my networth that made more hits just like there are countless people with lower stats that made more hits. The majority of players who's already chewed on 2.8k xanax can already do xanax/daily refills on a daily basis. PS. if you really want to compare networth, go chart it out because "That's not even accounting for activity levels or average player wealth which are also greatly skewed from the same stacking." is a biased opinion if you don't quantify that. And the problem then is that there is no constant variable of applying it the same top 200 xanax users since that graph will be about the top 200 networth players, but for argument sake that's better than arbitrarily saying something.

Activity is already an issue I elaborated on another thread so I won't here. But basically being a top hitter on a team requires high activity and just because you're active doesn't mean you're going to be a top hitter. Revives are somewhat impossible to quantify, overall activity is gained through all kinds of activity on torn, and that's why I said attacks made is the most important measure in elimination, and obviously so since attacks made directly effects elimination scoring, which is the culmination of activity and "resources" (I like to call it resources because networth is the capacity or potential, while resources is what is actually utilized).
Kharma [156342]

Oh, so you are saying that Ched should code a better competition and we should stop getting so mad at the smart players that work hard, train hard and play hard in his shitty system.

That's what I got out of your graph and comment.
marsh [926861]

So.... not rated - because of pretty graphs.

However.........

I'm not quoting the whole of the OP, just the following line:

"It would take 3-5 teams worth of people to even begin to handle that imbalance"

Seems to me that there was eleven other teams worth of people available to 'handle that imbalance' at the start of the competition. Alas they utterly failed to do so - this despite all the "Death to PP", "PP eat cute puppies" and "Babies die in underprivileged countries when PP win attacks" threads in the forums before the event began.

It strikes me that an utter sense of apathy on the part of most of the other teams has resulted in the fact that they still survive.

PP wanted to win. All they did was try a little harder. The 200, or whatever the number is, have been busting thier balls a whole lot harder than alll of the people that now seem to be feasting on salty jelly. Look at their attacks. Near enough the same as the total of the next two teams put together. Is this because they have taken more Xanax than everyone else?

And just to save you all looking - I'm not in Pink Power

Short bus foreva!






Mudbottom [1879891] Wiki Contributor

Not trying to derail...but your title reminds me of Dr Strangelove for some reason. I suppose it's the "Or" part.

"Hey, you can't fight in here. This is the war room!"

But as much as I love data points and color graphs, I'm not sure I learned anything new.

We both know it sucked being sat on by PP, et al.

You put alot of effort into Elimination, but we knew PP was strong, and why.

We had a false start last year to Elimination, if I have any regrets at all...it's that this wasn't restarted this year. Hindsight is 20/20...that ship sailed. I'm thankful I can train stats again, my med cd is from filling blood bags and I can get back on inane, repetitive crime clicking.
Z-Pac [1992605]

What? Ched identified 204 people in PP that switched gender in the weeks before the competition. You think he missed over 40 people? How do you think he figured out the 204 that switched? How did he figure them out and miss 40+ people? There are people in the 204 with 0 hits, there are people in the 204 that aren't in a HoF faction, they just happened to switch in the same time period. Really seems like you will make up any reason you can think of to call everyone in PP cheaters. We get it, Pirates lost, probably because all their high-level members spend more time thinking of excuses than hitting.
dunmugmeh [538353]

The obvious punishment for the greasy ones is for ched to not give them any tokens to spend in the token shop after this competition is over.