Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Npc stock

Started by Mat-Senpai [952164] on in Bugs & Issues.

149 replies · 2.32k views · thread synced · 9 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 150 / 150 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Beerstein [1322136]

What I'm saying is I think Ched decided he wanted the block value or something to change, but instead of changing share requirements he said tank it. Again, this happens sometimes, and it sucks when it does, I'll take the hit, we always do. It's the adding shares while it's happening that's a bonus suckfest.
Sky [380980] Committee Committee

Things that effect:

1. Forecast (poor) - should drop

2. Demand (high) - should go up. High demand is flooding the stock with shares though. IDK why NPC's can mass add billions of $$ worth of shares while it's tanking. That seems odd.. or like a conspiracy

3. Description (The performance of this stock relies upon the total money invested in the bank.) Did people stop investing in banks so dramatically that it dropped from 900 to 428 in 2 weeks time? Confused. It looks deliberate... much like WSSB

4. Other variables/trends? Maybe composite changes from other stocks?

5. Hand of God, aka admin


Beerstein [1322136]

There's at least 3 factors missing here, but bottom line is yes this is admin meddling, all other factors aren't really factors when this happens so it's a moot point. The point to focus on is the meddling, is it okay, to what degree, and what about share additions.

For me I'm used to the admin meddling to this level on super rare occasions, we accept that as part of the risk IMO. The adding shares sucks.
Naako [482424]

-Ched killed my reputation on an incorrect guess

-Ched killed my fun with the helping of future torn

-Ched killed warring by taking away warring all together

-Ched killed stocks by doing admin meddling

-Ched killed my desire to play
Sky [380980] Committee Committee

Interesting thought. if WSSBGate profits were removed from people because of the gravity of the unforeseen impact of meddling, will people be compensated for the tremendous amount of loss they've received from meddling? If not, the nerf looks like sabotage.

I think Beerstein said it well "For me I'm used to the admin meddling to this level on super rare occasions, we accept that as part of the risk IMO. The adding shares sucks."

If admins are meddling, the system shouldnt keep releasing shares to black hole everyone's money. That's unfair
four [254727]

In real life companies can be sued for withholding information that affects the value of stock. If they are meddling, then they are withholding information and screwing over players.
rapid_riser [262223]

The NPC probably releasing shares to make money to pay for those shares it is buying elsewhere. I guess this is fine. nobody would mind except this stock is tanking unusually as evidenced by the graphs and lots of investors caught out buying a flood of npc shares
Beerstein [1322136]

Also, we can think of it this way. If a companies shares are dropping in value to this extreme, then where are the new ones coming from? Why the growth while the company is having record breaking issues? I understand for the game sake they need to happen when dropping, but not when dropping to this degree.
deft [979003]

I bet ched is laughing because he hasn't touched anything, and so many are upset crying conspiracy and threatening to cancel their subs again. The lesson should be that you don't put all of your money into one stock because this can happen. 3 1/2 years ago I put 10b in EVL at it's historic low 300 then it dropped all the way to $70 and I've had to wait years to get my money back out of it without taking a loss. I could sold my shares on it's way down at a loss because time is money, but that is a decision that has to be made by the shareholder. Price drop can happen with any stock, so don't go all in on one thinking there's no risk at all. No one would put all their eggs in one basket in real life either.
Mat-Senpai [952164]

the original complaint isn't to do with stock - just to do with shares being constantly added if it drops let it, i'd still like him to address the over doubling in shares.
Vernunzio [730674]



This is true (and the main reason I have always believed you were innocent in WSSB and Hank guilty) but at the same time this is extreme tankage. 3 1/2 years ago was an entirely different iteration of the stock market. If the last three years of graphs are not at all predictive, this is nothing more than a big roulette wheel.

Contrary to what others are saying, I don't believe the addition of shares is a big deal. Our big scores in Torn stocks aren't from selling to other players, it's from selling to the NPC. Yes, there will be more in the queue, but eventually these things balance out, although this TCB dive will take more time than usual to balance.

The problem is that because we're so reliant on the NPC buying from us to make any decent profit, there is limited upside - if you list at the peak, you will likely not sell. More often than not, your sales will be as the stock starts to go up before a big peak, because you have to list early to increase your chances of selling. However, when the stock goes down, you bear the full brunt of the loss - either that, or leave your money tied up while waiting for the stock to recover. It's like the gains are illusory but the losses are real. Every time I want to make a few hundred million in $$ from stocks, I have to risk losses of billions. More often than not I make the few hundred mil or even a few bil, but it takes a lot of time, and when one bad investment can wipe out such a substantial portion of my stock earnings from the past 6 months, it feels like a waste of time.

I don't know the solution, but this is how I view the problem, fwiw.


Mat-Senpai [952164]

if shares aren't being added it simply means there isn't any new precedent of value being set. as the NPC adds them at lower values, the new value is being set - adding shares is the issue - price wise i don't mind, it's the price being put into stone that annoys me after just a few days of a drop.
Vernunzio [730674]

I understand what you're saying, but don't exactly agree, because I see price for Torn stocks as an illusion since the player-to-player market is negligible. So yeah the price point (edit: by price point, I mean the price at which players will buy listed shares) may be lower, but I don't think it matters. For those of us who are stuck in TCB, we either have to eat the loss now, or wait until it rises again and put our stocks in the lotto drawing like everyone else. Yes, a higher number of entries reduces the chance that your stocks will be picked in the lotto drawing, but keep in mind that the people buying now at around $430 will have gladly sold theirs off well before TCB exceeds the $600 or so what we paid for our shares anyway.

So my problem is not so much that the shares have been added, but that the stock tanked so low, so drastically, and so out of line with historic performance in the first place. I understand that is the risk of stocks, but when it behaves like this, it feels like the risk (lost money + lost time) exceeds the potential rewards.
Ultrareign [1992238]

You have bought 164,265,800 shares in TCB at a cost of $70,000,063,747.

Looks like I got baited into the latest insert lets see what it does reminds me of LSC and TCHS when it crashed.
BlickyTheRipper [1997379]

TBC will stop falling when people stop buying the newly released stocks. this will prevent the npc from adding more stocks on the market and the price will go up again which will enable the npc to buy stocks from the market reducing the total amount of tbc stocks.

So seems that people have to stop hoarding TBC and all will be fixed. If not than TBC is at 0 soon
Nightmare [1637448]

Well let me get my tcb before it jumps up again. That stock has been overpriced so long it seems it's come down to it's rightful area. How long did it take for tcb to pay itself off before? About 2x as long as right now lol