Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Chaining 2.0 released.

Started by ArticFz [1583141] on in General Discussion.

147 replies · 3.3k views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 148 / 148 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Blackjack-x [981452]

war should be designed to encourage small and big factions to war.

I dont understand, dont these updates that come out get beta tested before release?

im sure someone would have picked up on this balance issue
PurpPurp [1990116]

in a seasonal mail few months ago. it talked about a feature where the chain would go down by 1 every 5mins if no one hit.


Louis_de_Pointe [1963196]

This is not new.

Ched said long ago the updates will favour the larger factions.

The major difference that does favour smaller / weaker factions is the change in the chaining / warring system is not dependent on filler factions. So in theory a group of new players can make their own faction and play their own game without spending their entire torn time in hospital trying to work out why the game punishes them for wanting to play it.




Louis_de_Pointe [1963196]

If any system was designed to do that it was the old system.

So basically they stopped it.

And basically you stating that shows your basically a very basic person in a very basic way.

#speshial
Alan79 [1500171]

I'm not really a fan of this new system.



(1) For the fact that my slow internet connection doesn't allow me to even get a warm up chain done.

(2) The respect gains are pretty poor, and while i know that will be adjusted and that planning to use bonuses will help. I've led wars for a number of years and people generally have never followed plans when chaining in my faction.

(3) This is a game and things should be kept simple. This system replaces a reasonably easy system for people to use with something that seems pretty complicated. It may be a great benefit to factions with dedicated seasoned chainers. But for average factions the only benefit seems to be that you won't be a filler. But I find it hard to see how the larger factions won't just select factions as fillers even if they're not on a war list. I can't imagine that people are going to search individually for hundreds of targets for a 100k chain, they'l simply find a faction they can hit and go to town on it.

(4) New/small factions are going to struggle to get anywhere with the system. You have to now make 10 hits for nothing to be allowed to make chains worth a pittance, yet if a large faction that is well into a chain and earning a lot of respect per hit removes 10% of the respect they gain per hit on a faction it's really going to hurt the faction they're attacking.



I eagerly await a time when this system begins to impress. It feels like the system was made complicated for no reason.
Louis_de_Pointe [1963196]

1.I am curious as to any fixes that may come in or an optional style of side bar so it is not dynamic.

2.Learn to lead better.

3.the previous system was to simple and flawed.

4..1 And factions perma hosped had a great way to get ahead in the game.

4.2 I am waiting patiently and am hopeful with the way Ched is handling this.




Alan79 [1500171]

I hope the system is adjusted and improved. But In my opinion it's a good idea to get my grievances out of the way before they make a system i dislike concrete.Thats what I'm doing here.



It's not that i don't appreciate that this has taken some work to develop the system to this point, but I play this game for fun and would prefer not to have to spend half an hour planning a chain ahead of time when i know that those plans go out the window as soon as someone decides to make hits without reading the faction chat or newsletters which in my experience is most chains. I've made loads of chains where we planned to put bonuses on certain factions and most members have patiently chained for up to 2 hours only for someone to jump in and make that bonus hit on a faction that wasn't hitting back.



The only thing that i saw a flawed with the old system was that large factions had to use a limited number of targets as fillers which was how perma hosping eventuated. I do like that you don't need filler factions with the new system. But this system wasn't designed for smaller factions. If you have territories it negates the smaller respect gains currently in place, but if factions are going to need to go beyond 100 to start making significant respect gains, it's obvious that small factions aren't going to get ahead.
Louis_de_Pointe [1963196]

just a note on people messing up a chain

make the rules of the engagement clear beforehand.

give clear instruction again if they screw it up.

third time discipline or remove them.

If they do not respect your command then you are failing the others who do respect it.

-and I agree voice concerns always.
A_shrub [19162]

Honestly Ched & co what were you guys thinking? A system that you admit favours the big factions. Ridiculously poor respect gains. A ridiculously overcomplicated bonus system that if you stand on your head and squint your eyes oh and have a PhD in mathematics, you may just work it out .

I've hit up, I've hit the same Levels and i've hit down, and quite frankly with the massive amounts of E you are asking for and the medical cooldown issues of hitting the same levels or higher it is just better to hit down. Yeah great now you have opened up a ituation where crap runs downhill and it ends up your newer players are going to be taking a big bite of that s**t sandwich.

As for chain lengths JFK once did a 30k chain and I remember some other long ones did get broken in that war. I've done a 10k chain with 39th. Those numbers take extreme coordination and that was with system that allowed us to upgrade the time between hits.

I'm awaiting the wrongful death suit from a players family cause some faction was trying for some ridiculous chain and the guy had not slept for 4 days.

Oh and people work, you guys do understand that? Sorry boss I can't work today, i'm chaining on Torn for then next few days.

SMH

The previous system was perfect It actually fit in with real life. The problem was the farming but you guys knew about it and never reacted, like you lot have done in the past with other issues (boosters etc). The reaction is always too late and the horse is in another state.
Blackjack-x [981452]

not really

old system was actually better for new factions

they would stack to max and few people together would be able to do a 100 chain and get huge bonus

only thing is they wont be filler anymore but is that really worth loosing ability to gain any decent respect
Charbon [14922]

I agree with pretty much everything here. In particular that this new system is too complicated. Ched might be right when he says that you could in theory get good gains by maxing out the multipliers but this is just too difficult to do consistently and requires a lot more coordination just to make reasonable respect gains. Only the most dedicated players will be able to do anything with this system and I doubt they'd find it very fun.
Louis_de_Pointe [1963196]

No it was not you are being ignorant.

I had to regularly turn away new players because they would have been fodder.

Many players quit the game when they found they were perma hosped. - edit : in many filler factions, not mine as I would not let them join in first place for that very reason..

And it has been repeatedly stated respect gains will be increased.


McDallas [14757]

I don't think the new system is harder. I trained noobs in the old one, I train noobs now. This one may actually be a tad easier for them or I might just be lucky with this batch, and they're quick learners (50 chain in 20 min on natural e, no problem).

The only issue I have with the current system is the respect to energy ratio, and the expensive hurdle to increase chain count (respect costs).

That needs to get a lot better to be fair, let alone fun (it's supposed to be a game for pleasure afterall).
Carl [1188181]

We just finished a 100 chain. 48 respect total for the chain. 6 of which came from the 100 bonus. That's absolutely terrible. Not worth the wasted e imo. Another update released for the sake of releasing instead of being beneficial or ready for release. Disappointing
Louis_de_Pointe [1963196]

How dim are you people?

I feel compelled beyond reason to post yet again what has been stated clearly before oh woe the hordes of the ignorant crash upon the crumbling cliffs of reason....

Now I shall type extra slowly so you the people may hope to understand this as if one was speaking in a very slow voice :

1. We shall address the lack of respect gained again.

It is initially low because they do not wish to make an error and give out far too much at this stage things do need to be playtested and seen how it works. Also The chaining works alongside other warring systems yet to be released and these will also provide respect gains.

2. We shall now address what has been stated before again

The warring system is being released in sections. This has been common knowledge for some time at least to those who have the ability to retain information given about a subject.

3. The following may help some of you

As humans we have the ability to reason beyond our next banana. Other species can reason too but it is believed humans can do it better - I know going by these forums it is difficult to believe the theory of mind applies to all but there you go.

Anyways to invoke thought processes beyond flinging excrement we look at the situation like many animals do and we use our evolved sense of reason (that has been evolving for many years both as a species and as individuals) to take into consideration information that has been received before, the information that is present now and then we can form thoughts on the subject beyond the most immediate obstacle.

For example ( shall take the bold font off now) :

Some people's ancestors came across a cliff from the bottom and wanted to be on top of the cliff. They looked at the situation and decided to cry.

Some of these people who cried did the species a favour and wasted away at the bottom of the cliff crying (nature assisted too in washing them away to be food for the sea life also).

in another area some people came upon a similar situation they were at the bottom of the cliff and wanted to be on top of it. So they applied thought to the issue. Some made a ladder, some made platforms so they could stop and have elevenses and some made stairs to make things even easier.

The problem is the people who could reason helped those who could not and here we are in the world today.

I do hope this has helped some of you.

Here is some life advice which may assist you also :

You do not need to fling your excrement.

You do not need to decorate using your excrement.

Do not eat the yellow snow.


Blackjack-x [981452]

I dont understand why you keep replying to people with you are thick,be better leader,how dim are you.

you are not providing any valid points just talking shit to everyone.

I understand you are happy that you will not be used as filler, but use that brain to think outside the box.

Any update should be balanced and fair for majority of players.



so qoute others again if you got something interesting to add other than complaining how we all stupid.