Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Artificial Intelligence

Started by Timy [2090435] on in Technology.

7 replies · 60 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 8 / 8 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
8
Discussion span
→
People posting
5
Likes on archived posts
3
Authority score
7 / 100
Historical score
14 / 100
Story score
28 / 100
Engagement score
46 / 100
Timy [2090435]

I wonder if there will be time where AI is at full extent, where we live amongst them and communicate with them on a daily basis.
WQ1F [2007780]

I absolutely love the topic of AI, it's currently what I'm studying and eventually want to go into developing. I think AI is both a danger to our societies' structures going forward, and one of the most useful tools that will continue to be improved this century.

ML is currently widely used though you might not be aware of it. Recommendations and ads are often selected for you using it, and it's widely used in health care analytics, and big business. The dangers it poses mainly lie in the exploitation and manipulation of people's media, and the prospects of a large number of jobs that will be replaced with intuitive AI.

The effects may end up being quite similar to the automation that happened this previous century that destroyed many factory jobs.

Cool Ted talk on the subject-ish

MX3D
Missterial [1955904]

AI is indeed a study you can do in university, maybe also in other colleges but I wouldn't know for sure :p

I think it's mighty interesting, especially given the fact that it's seen as such a universal threat by a lot of people, for good reasons I'd say. As WQ1F said, we've seen in the past that technology has removed quite some jobs for many people. AI will very likely create a similar situation, however I think it's important to keep in mind the great advantages it can have, and that it can also create many new jobs. For example, it would become possible to create a sort of "mega human" that is able to move and create things on a much larger scale, much faster. And since AI is a complicated subject, I'd think we'd create many new jobs, seeing as several groups of people could be assigned to very specific parts of this study.

What people tend to be afraid of is that robots may one day have a consciousness of their own (as we may or may not already have seen in the slighty unsettling recent creation of "Sophia", https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLvL7uqrMVc ). I'd say this is a validated fear, however it's important to remember that, in my opinion at least, humans will always remain in control of what a robot can and cannot do. On top of that, it seems unlikely that a robot can already have a consciousness highly similar to ours, since we don't even completely understand how our own consciousness exactly works yet.

I think it's a very interesting thing that's still in the very beginning of its development, and I'd say right now there aren't any dangers yet. I'm really curious to see how it develops over time, though.
Flak [2091491]

I think we are yet to find the nature of intelligence, Let alone create artificial stuff. Just because a calculator, can say that it thinks doesn't make it is smarter than it's creator :)