The political sphere today is dominated by variations of Socialism and Capitalism, and early-to-mid 20th century a refined Corporatism had taken hold in some nations. Taking into consideration the political diversity we see around the world (and including the TORN community), I'd like to see on how people view these economic policies and their variations.
I am sure that there is more detail on economic policy out there, but I'd rather mention the "Big 3". Although, Corporatism is a bit hard to put on such a "Big 3" list.
From what I have seen around the world, variations of capitalism seem to have been most efficient for sustaining a nation, but I refuse to simply discard these other policies because of such, due to the many factors that can play into the success of said economic policies. Some policies, such as Corporatism, may require a certain degree of authoritarianism to influence the flow, but others may be better off with less government intervention.
As a question to those who care to read, what are your thoughts on general economic policy? Or authoritarian/libertarian based policies, for that matter. It would definitely help expand another's worldview.
We live in a time where the individual is valued more than the whole, while at the same time having ample resources for everyone. This mentality has a larger impact than any policy, and largely impacts any type of government regardless of what it's meant to be or of its idealized state.
In short, I think no matter the attempted government, the result is much the same or similar due to the always present human element.
while I see where you are going, I disagree fundamentally.
a govt that restricts what you can do or earn either through taxation or flat out restrictions will always allow select people to rise to the top. where as a more freedom based govt will still have those who will exploit others through capitalistic systems, it still allows individuals to make choices and control their futures to some degree.
so while I agree no matter the govt exploitation will happen. the difference, to me at least, is whether you can choose to be exploited or not.
people haven't evolved enough, or have evolved too much, to have real socialism or communism work without some capitalistic variation in it. the world covets what others have. always has and always will. when you stifle a persons ability to forge their own path you set up a situation for revolt/rebellion.
The economic system has nothing to do with the amount of personal freedoms you have. You are confusing communism w8th authoritarian communism and capitalism with democracy. It is entirely possible to have anti authoritarian communism and authoritarian cqpitalism. Look at latin america, during the 20th century it was chock full of authoritarian capitalist regimes because the US supported them to fight communism.
To OP: i think the best form of government would be anti authoritarian socialism, but I dont think people are currently prepared for that. It would require a stronger sense of civic duty and a stronger intellectual work ethic to understand the issues. An uninformed democracy doesnt work well. Currently the powers that be are trying to convince people to be intellectually lazy so that they can stay in power. Our collective apathy allows that. The first steps to improving our government that we need to take are to return to the blend of capitalism and socialism that worked so well in the US previously.