Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Marijuana Legalization in Canada

Started by The_Pirate_King [2018680] on in General Non-related.

29 replies · 163 views · thread synced · 11 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 30 / 30 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
30
Discussion span
→
Authority score
20 / 100
Historical score
20 / 100
Story score
43 / 100
Engagement score
59 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

The_Pirate_King [2018680]

I heard that Marijuana would legalize pot around July or August of this year.



If they do, I've heard that there is a chance where the Penny Pot Stocks would rise for a brief moment by a significant margin.

I'm not sure entirely, but what's y'all opinion? Is it worth investing in some Penny Pot Stocks? Colorado legalization made their stocks jump up by a large margin right after they legalized it in their state, then the prices went down.



Honestly I have no opinion on this, I just need information and know whether it's worth investing in. Don't hate or like me on this, I got no opinion, Just trying to find some answers that's all.




Mayhem [144552]

Most important thing to remember at any type of investing is that you are still gambling. If you can afford to lose the money you put in, I'd give it a shot, it's a fair chance it could be big! Penny Stocks are cheap and can lead to huge profits, but never guaranteed. Never put in what you can't afford to lose, just in case.

Personally, I feel much safer in commodities, but that's just because it's what I know. ;)
The_Pirate_King [2018680]

Isn't it considered gambling if your just looking at the prices and making a decision on whether to invest or not? Cuz I thought if you were researching and then checking the prices, then it wouldn't necessarily be gambling.
TheLamia [2048880]

I just want the laws for marijuana to be at a state where the law enforcement people themselves can understand what they are.

City zoning, health care, OSHA guidelines, courts, cops--all of them are all, "yeah... we... uh... don't know what the proper way to deal with pot is"--they just phrase it in different ways. Some times them saying they understand it--but being unable to explain it and coming across like they are just acting like they understand it. "Yeah... I understand the laws... uh... you don't understand. Look it up--then tell me. Yeah. Stop asking me--as I totally know it."

Right now, Mary Jane in Canada is not a criminal act. It is not a misdemeanor. It is not anything that cops can really do anything with. However, at the same time it is not a legal thing to make use of. It is in a weird limbo territory.

Compared to Opiate use--which is still illegal, but cops do not enforce it--as it is understood as a mental health scenario, and putting people in jail for that is pointless (and actually puts people's lives in danger)... or at least that is how Opiates are handled in the Downtown Eastside of Vancouver. Where we literally are in an overdose crisis that has a ridiculously huge body count. It is to the point where even the coroners have issues comprehending the amount of death--there have been entire wars with a lower death count. We have "overdose prevention tents" where nurses monitor people using opiates, so they do not have to be narcanned. Where the drug "narcan" has became a verb.

So yeah... just... make some law for Mary Jane so that it makes sense in some way for people to know it has a place in the legal books. Make it illegal or make it legal... just take it out of the limbo it is stuck in.
Viracocha [1772040]

My opinion is that Canadian cannabis companies are a good investment, even though they produce marginal product. Canopy (formerly Tweed) is exporting to Germany for their medical cannabis supply for example.

One note is that most of those involved are former senior law enforcement or politicians/senior bureaucrats. The CFO for the Liberal Party of Canada had multiple stop trades on his company weeks before the public release of the plan to legalize. Insider trading?

Fantino former head of the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police, as well as former Chief of London, York and Toronto police forces), strong outspoken critic of cannabis now runs a marijuana company.

Meanwhile the idea of pardons for pot convictions is still up in the air. Our PM's father, also a long term PM of our country had pot charges disappear when Justin's now deceased brother was arrested.

On native reserves, such as Tyendinaga near Belleville, Ontario, about 2 dozen cannabis dispensaries exist, selling buds, hash, extracts, and edibles. Big bright neon lights, signs everywhere on the roads advertising, drive thru service on some. Not a cop to be seen.

Try that just 20kms from the reserve and you will be raided.

Only government run will be allowed in Ontario to retail, with both excise and HST taxes applied. Each province has their own retail plan. Some allowing for up to 4 plants for recreational. Quebec won't allow recreational grows. Medical cannabis can be grown per the formula 2 outdoor plants for each gram per day prescribed or 5 indoor plants per gram. You don't need a landlord's permission so that's has landlord associations up in arms.

Public health units are trying to get any smoking in multi res dwellings banned, even outside of structure. 24/7 curry and kimchi is ok however.

The point I'm making is there is money to be made. I think 200% over 1 year is the average growth rate witnessed in the past 12 months. However, unless you are an investor, you are in grey to black market if you engage in any selling whether as a grower or a retailer. In Canada as always free market doesn't exists, and the pie is served to the same select few.

PS. I advocated for legalization in a Post Secondary course 27 years ago. Funny how long common sense takes to kick in.
Viracocha [1772040]

It certainly is a criminal act and arrests, charges and convictions are occurring. In fact JT himself (the twitstar), said it is illegal to buy marijuana and you will be charged:

"Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Canadians who buy pot are funding gangs and organized crime and will continue to be charged until marijuana is legal."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/liberal-marijuana-pardon-legal-1.4484496

CBC January 12th, 2018.



Opiates can be reduced and eliminated through the use of Cannabis

"A Nanaimo-based researcher has found medicinal cannabis can reduce or prevent opioid use and can even offer addicts an exit strategy."

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/medical-marijuana-can-reduce-opioid-use-study

August 23rd, 2017
TheLamia [2048880]

None of your pieces actually cite your claims. You literally just linked to some random ass shit after making spurious statements.

No... Mary Jane in Canada is not a Criminal Act. It however is not a legal thing either.

And... no, Marijuana does not fund gangs and organised crime... they make their money by selling Opiates, Crystal Meth, Ketomine, GHB and several other substances that you cannot grow in a ditch somewhere.

Here is the thing about Marijuana: you do not make money with it, apart from maybe a bit of pocket change.

*shaking my head*

Seriously... learn how to properly cite stuff... and also post links to shit relevant to what you say.
TheLamia [2048880]

1) Maybe you should look into those stats yourself, rather than posting passive aggressive questions on various internet forums.

2) Just because somebody is charged or arrested is not proof anything criminal has happened.

I for one have been regularly charged with fictional shit... that people from fancy neighbourhoods hallucinated me doing. Which upon calling the cops, because I live in a bad neighbourhood, anything I say is understood to be lies... no matter how ridiculous the claims being made against me are.

The amount of times I have been charged for stuff that are at odds with the laws of physics is ridiculous.

It is when somebody is actually found guilty that you can use that as proof something happened.

3) I've also been locked up for various acts that are not even illegal. Usually by a cop trying to look impressive to people around them. The other cops generally do not like having to clean up that mess... and the paperwork is usually ****ed up.
TheLamia [2048880]

... that is not how the law works... that is not how the law works at all.

It is a bit more than that.

Also... the Criminal Code of Conduct (which Ambiguous TLA is Ambiguous FYI) does not cover the topic we are talking about.
TheLamia [2048880]

You are not capable of giving sane replies.

Everything you have said on the topic is ignorant nonsense.

But then... stupid people never really understand they are stupid.
Viracocha [1772040]

couldn't have said it better myself.

let me know when they adjust your meds correctly so we might salvage this exchange and I can help you understand facts when you are more coherent.
TheLamia [2048880]

Look at how classy you are talking about the subject.

This is no different than how people discuss things in court rooms. Why last time I was up on charges this was exactly how the exchange... actually no... this is somewhat how some of the exchanges in the court room did end up going... ****... this attempt at mockery will not actually work.

Either way... since you are not able to provide anything from your side of the matter other than sheer ignorance as to how the law works, fairy tales, insults and showing you have no ability to cite proper articles... it should be obvious that I am the one who is correct.

Or are you going to post news paper articles that barely have anything to do with the topic apart from a couple words mentioned appear in the headlines? It isn't like there is more to news stories than the headlines themselves.
TheLamia [2048880]

Naw... I'm talking about how I know the law because I am gutter trash... and he is talking about how he understands the law because he has never been near anything remotely legal and never been involved in any legal matter ever before.

Essentially he is going, "I am correct, because I've never had to actually look into the topic matter, nor have I felt the need to actually read up on the matter"

And I am going, "This is literally my ****ing living room, dood. We are talking about the center piece on what would be my coffee table... except obviously I do not have one... because those cost money."
TheLamia [2048880]

Well... when something is completely lacking in idiocy it does tend to be a noteworthy occurrence.

So... thank you for noticing that the degree of idiocy in my post is nearly absolute zero idiocy.
Viracocha [1772040]

Enforcement of Current Laws
There are public health and safety risks that are associated with cannabis use, including its effects on the mental development of young people and illicit profits that support criminal organization. Until cannabis laws change, and strict regulations and restrictions are put in effect, local police authorities will continue to address illegal cannabis possession and sales.



http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/cj-jp/marijuana/law-loi.html



Please do educate me on how Canada's legal system works? Where do you want to start? Tribunals, small claims, civil, statutory or administrative law, criminal, family....? Or how about Canada's military justice system and the National Defense Act. How are you with interpreting legislation such as the Controlled Substances Act?