When I joined I was told you can scour the map and I was thrilled. But now that I've done it on Day 4 I can't seem to find anything else. It's been over a week and I've scoured the map from top to bottom. Can anyone explain to me why no items are spawning?
Finding items on the Map?
Started by Nurgel [2127726] on in Questions & Answers.
About this thread
Posts archived: 17 / 17 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
- Archived posts
- 17
- Discussion span
- →
- People posting
- 14
- Likes on archived posts
- 18
- Posts by staff, officers and moderators
- 1
- Authority score
- 65 / 100
- Historical score
- 22 / 100
- Story score
- 37 / 100
- Engagement score
- 65 / 100
Most-liked replies
- Bug [1455582] Committee
· 5 likes ·
I just want to add that although putting merits into awareness will increase your city finds, it is absolutely NOT worth doing. There are so many better merit investments such as education or bank interest.
Mentioned in this thread
Adrenalinas [1974447] ×1
When I joined I was told you can scour the map and I was thrilled. But now that I've done it on Day 4 I can't seem to find anything else. It's been over a week and I've scoured the map from top to bottom. Can anyone explain to me why no items are spawning?
use doctorn or any city finds script
DocTorn is amazingly helpful if you're on pc. If you're on mobile, items can be harder to find.
Spawns are rare. Even with maxed awareness merits, which are basically a joke now, items will spawn only every few days at best :).
high Awareness Helps finding items City but its not 100% guaranteed ....
I spent 14 days without finding anything in the past....
I just want to add that although putting merits into awareness will increase your city finds, it is absolutely NOT worth doing. There are so many better merit investments such as education or bank interest.
for mobile, u can install firefox mobile and install doctorn
I've two merits on awareness and stopped picking up items 21 days ago to see what would spawn...
Nice! There are 16 items around the city: Empty Blood Bag, Erotic DVD, Small First Aid Kit, Bottle of Mistletoe Madness, Sheep Plushie, Teddy Bear Plushie, Single Red Rose, Bag of Chocolate Truffles, Small Explosive Device, Grenade, Katana, HEG, Stingray Plushie, Thompson, Can of X-MASS and Butterfly Knife.
As everyone above said, city finds are somewhat rare, you're unlikely to find things every day. Items spawn once a day at midnight Torn time, if anything spawns at all. I've gone two weeks without a single spawn before.
In the event there are items and you just haven't spotted them (they're very small), you can use the DoctorN extension to help you find them, since it will highlight them for you.
I thought they would disappear after a time, so the items would not disappear even if I don't pick them up?
They will stay there until you pick them up, they'll never despawn with the exception of certain holiday related items like love juice on Valentines Day.
Agreed. as a new player use your merits on education and try to get through them as fast as possible.
items dont pop up everyday , ,and i think your activity level plays a part , and i can also be because your a newer player. even to this day i some times will get something 2 days in a row and then nothing for a week or 2
I think it is totally worth putting merits into Awareness. I am recently at A7 and my loot has only gotten better. Most days I get the odds and ends that are barely worth the time. A few days ago I got Casino Pass. Market presently around $250 million. Add the many energy drinks, Erotic Dvds, 6 coins and various items and I would guess my loot is well over $1 billion. Mostly paid for a PI and keeps me in donator status. There are quicker ways, but education is not one of them.
Merits don`t increase quality of items, just chance to find (and most likely you don`t feel big difference) . Education merits gives perks faster and if you active you need most of them. It seems you don`t understand what you talking. And 1b is not much considering you played 900 days (1.1m) you can earn 2 times more with one fly.
Actually Adrenalinas [1974447], I do see a big difference. One I didn't start doing city searches for a very long time. When I did I went to work in a Candle Shop and feel confident I went from finding 1 item most days to often finding 2 or 3 per day. When that shop closed, I went onto the Mechanics job and things fell back to around 1 per day.
And, as I slowly built the Awareness, I started seeing better return. Maybe it doesn't directly correlate to quality and maybe it is just the quantity, but it certainly feels like it relates to quality. I actually only took Awareness in hopes of finding sets of coins and things I could use in the Museum after I finished History education. I never found anything like that until I hit A around 4 or 5 and with the Candle Shop bonus. In the last 3 months alone, I have found the 6 coins and a couple other items that can be used there. And, if the quality is not effected, why are there less than 1300 Casino Passes out there? If I found one in less than a year trying, why aren't there thousands more? I know they get used,but it would still make more sense for there to be a lot more.
I know there has been a change since I started looking and maybe more than one change. As far as earning twice as much with one flight, I agree. But, I was speaking of the earnings I have gotten from doing a 5 minute City search about once every three days. You can't earn that much from a single 5 minutes flight because the shortest will take 37 minutes even with PI and airfield. My spouse and I bought the first PI with flights mostly. .I am talking about the second one. And, the Casino Pass alone would pay for half of another. If I had a sell off of just things found using Awareness in the last 3 months, I could buy that third PI.
What education is going to do that for me? A PI every 3 to 6 months. I would like to hear from people with a low Awareness that have gotten items of the worth I have these last few months. Then, I will agree that A has nothing to do with quality found. It might be smarter to just finish all the Ed as quickly as possible then switch to Awareness or something else,but this is working for me, so in my case, I do indeed know what I am talking about, thank you.
Mentions: Adrenalinas [1974447]
My personal opinion on Awareness and city finds is that the overall yield of some nice items every once in a while now with the updated system, isn't worth it to waste merits on.
I guess for less active players it might be interesting still though.
Thread created on 19:09:10 - 21/02/17 (1 year ago)
Citizens,
We've made some changes to the awareness (City finds) system in order to make it more logical and more intuitive.
- The previous system provided a chance of spawning a single item per hour, and only when visiting the city page. The new system instead will spawn a quantity of items (or none) once per day. Any activity on any page on Torn will trigger this spawn, so simply being active on Torn every day will provide you with optimal city finds.
- The Awareness system is now a much simpler algorithm so will increase the rate of items that appear in the city by expected percentages. For example, Awareness starts at 100%, merit upgrades increase this by 20% each, company specials increase it by 50% or 70%, the 'Attention and Awareness' course increases it by 10% and the 'Finders Keepers' book increases it by 1000%. So with 10 merit upgrades, the course and a 50% company special, you'd have 360% awareness.
- The drugs LSD and Ecstasy no longer increase awareness. Since city finds will be generated once per day (after midnight), and you have to actually be under the effect of the drugs, this gives too much advantage to people in certain time zones.
- Generally these changes will have substantially increased the amount of items spawning in the city. We'll be watching this closely and monitoring the values of these items over time to ensure the rate is agreeable. We'll also be altering the rates of decent / rare items vs trash items over time.
- The dump searching system has been greatly simplified also, and no longer uses awareness. The old system that utilised awareness actually created a blind spot which meant the same items would appear frequently (especially for those with high awareness). With this system removed, an item will instead be chosen based on how many different item types are currently in the dump. So currently there are 333 different types of items sitting in the dump, if someone was to drop say... A donator pack, or some other high value item in there, you would have a 1 in 334 chance of finding it.
So for the short term at least, searching the dump may be highly lucrative (all of those items that were in the old system's blind spot are now available!) and city finds should be more common for everybody.
Of course, as usual, we may make changes to this system over time.
Source: https://www.torn.com/forums.php#!p=threads&f=1&t=15999032&b=0&a=0
Citizens,
We've made some changes to the awareness (City finds) system in order to make it more logical and more intuitive.
- The previous system provided a chance of spawning a single item per hour, and only when visiting the city page. The new system instead will spawn a quantity of items (or none) once per day. Any activity on any page on Torn will trigger this spawn, so simply being active on Torn every day will provide you with optimal city finds.
- The Awareness system is now a much simpler algorithm so will increase the rate of items that appear in the city by expected percentages. For example, Awareness starts at 100%, merit upgrades increase this by 20% each, company specials increase it by 50% or 70%, the 'Attention and Awareness' course increases it by 10% and the 'Finders Keepers' book increases it by 1000%. So with 10 merit upgrades, the course and a 50% company special, you'd have 360% awareness.
- The drugs LSD and Ecstasy no longer increase awareness. Since city finds will be generated once per day (after midnight), and you have to actually be under the effect of the drugs, this gives too much advantage to people in certain time zones.
- Generally these changes will have substantially increased the amount of items spawning in the city. We'll be watching this closely and monitoring the values of these items over time to ensure the rate is agreeable. We'll also be altering the rates of decent / rare items vs trash items over time.
- The dump searching system has been greatly simplified also, and no longer uses awareness. The old system that utilised awareness actually created a blind spot which meant the same items would appear frequently (especially for those with high awareness). With this system removed, an item will instead be chosen based on how many different item types are currently in the dump. So currently there are 333 different types of items sitting in the dump, if someone was to drop say... A donator pack, or some other high value item in there, you would have a 1 in 334 chance of finding it.
So for the short term at least, searching the dump may be highly lucrative (all of those items that were in the old system's blind spot are now available!) and city finds should be more common for everybody.
Of course, as usual, we may make changes to this system over time.
Source: https://www.torn.com/forums.php#!p=threads&f=1&t=15999032&b=0&a=0
Mentions: Awareness changes