Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Dump addition

Started by Alec [1782664] Wiki Contributor on in Suggestions.

108 replies · 732 views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 109 / 109 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Influence [1908256]



It may sound like an interesting, and at a push, a good idea - however Ched probably won't implement it



I feel like it sort of goes against what the gamble is and what torn is - we don't see XP etc. However detailed statistics would be interesting, however I would only ever look once
Helcostr [1934501] Wiki Editor

Usually, we would see the odds of blind gambling: like slots (we see the odds are for each value).

Since this is blind gambling, adding odds might hurt the mystery, but increase the chances of people (who like to play the odds) to join.
Chedburn [1] Admin Developer

Although it sounds good at first glance, I don't think this will work for three reasons.

1) It's illogical. You wouldn't know what the best possible item in the dump was - if you did you'd also know where it was and pick it up. I guess there could be a live log below the dump search simply showing everything everyone has dumped / picked up recently but it still feels a bit weird.

2) If people could see the 'best find', I expect scripters / abusers would take over the dump - scanning the page frequently, waiting for an alert, then burning their energy when a really good item comes up.

3) Finding a good item is pretty fast, if people could see what it was (and knew exactly when to search the dump), it would be gone within seconds - making the system fairly pointless. It would turn the dump into a refreshing game, players would feel like they have to just sit on the dump refreshing the page until the 'Best item' changes to something good - that doesn't feel like good gameplay to me.

I quite liked the idea of having historical data ... "Best find today" / "Most common item found" .. stuff like that. But I think it may just add unnecessary noise to a currently simple feature.