Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Profession Specific Property

Started by Shaon [1862221] on in Suggestions.

108 replies · 720 views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 109 / 109 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

McDallas [14757]

As much as Torn advertises and claims there are various paths, they don't actually encourage them or create enough for them in my opinion. 

I love this. R+
AshleyT [1432316]

I was more aiming that at every other property. I would like to become a 25E reviver myself but I couldn't pass up the airstrip for it as then I'd have no good income streams and would be unable to supply my faction with gear from travel destinations effectively.

Also, bit of real life logic here... what's stopping us just using the properties for their use without living in them? They seem to be more like facilities for us to use than homes.
Shaon [1862221]

In this case you can join a War+medical faction like the one im in right now and buy a commercial carrier to carry huge amount of units from abroad. 

And yeah you can own multiple properties but there is drawback. Removing that drawback will result in imbalance imho. Rich will buy all of them and will get richer. 
Vindice [2095379]

Love this idea sadly Ched isn't gonna do this anytime soon even if it's approved.  Maybe our children or children's children will get to enjoy this update :)
AshleyT [1432316]

That would assume I am disloyal to my current faction. I want to help my faction, but they don't have the trees to spare for me to assist them in both ways.

The problem is, well, the only REAL drawback you got is lack of airstrip access, which has become a mandatory feature to succeeding in Torn these days. There's a reason everyone rents PI's now, if you don't have an airstrip, you are likely to fall behind unless you're already set up.
deft [979003]

I would downvote this as is, but I think it could work with some modification. Ultimately I think that career paths would be much better suited in a different mechanism than properties. 

A better solution to your proposal that is fair for all players, including beginners, is to make your suggestion a customization of whatever property they own, whether it be a mansion, PI, or unique that would receive a % decrease in happy in exchange for the benefits.

If this was to happen as originally suggested, I think that unique properties should receive something unique for each as well. Reason being is that your proposal is better and more useful than a unique property as it currently stands. Unique properties offer nothing extra besides a small amount of extra happy.

The suggestion is a reduction in happiness in exchange for the benefits, but for me happiness makes little difference. In a few months I won't be training at all any more, happiness will become entirely useless. So my unique property would be worse than your proposal, which I assume would come at a low cost compared to the kidney I paid for mine. 
Shaon [1862221]

Nice proposal but I would debate on this. Having an apartment receive airstrip upgrade or a villa with yacht upgrade is impractical. There are only 12 unique properties. And since 2011 what new addition we have? none. I have nothing but respect for you but sorry to say you guys are minority. only 12. The entire Torn wont lack behind for you. I dont have unique nor i will ever have one but i strongly believe they are more important for prestige not real usefulness. one who can spend 75 billion on a extra happy house dont need these profession specific property. Not all UP has airstrip, some dont have yacht. I f they are ok with 75 billion spending on something that dont have all standard PI upgrade, what's wrong with these profession specific properties. When I made this I didnt have UP in my mind. But the suggestion is no written in stone. Ched can decide to tag them. For Instance the Presidential Bunker can be tagged as an attacker's property giving it the passive attack+defense boost. It all depends on Ched. 
deft [979003]

Just because there's only 12 unique properties doesn't mean they can't also receive special benefits in a property overhaul. Saying to leave us out is not right. You're saying you don't care about prestige in torn.

Your suggestion caters to people with decent networth and disregards new and casual players which make up the majority of torn. You want new properties under the guise of "career paths" but only for those that can afford it.

Your broad idea of career paths could be implemented but the fine details of your suggestion are flawed and I'm pointing it out. It needs to be thought out more and probably expanded upon. Saying screw the poor because who cares and screw the top 12 because you can't sympathize for their wealth is pretty jaded. 

IMO your suggestion doesn't belong in properties but as it's own feature in torn.
Shaon [1862221]

When I told that unique properties can not receive special benefits? Of course they can. But since I am a poor player and there is only 12 of them I didn't think about them when I wrote this suggestion.

I never said I dont care for prestige. I said ppl who can spent 75 billion just for prestige  will not be bothered by these overhaul. Come on they are already swim in money.

This properties are for everyone. whatever you want to excel in you will have a property for that. If there are flaws plz point it out. Show me where the imbalances are.
deft [979003]

I would be bothered by not receiving anything in a property overhaul because it would devalue my property, like putting a strip club and casino next door to a nice neighborhood would devalue it. The people that need travel bonuses the most are new players that don't have any money. It would be good for them to get a bonus early on so that torn can retain more players instead of having them give up because the game is too hard.

That is why to me it makes more sense to me to have these things to be customized to any property with a purchase, just like buying other upgrades to a property. Could make the cost be proportionate to the property's value. For example for traveler's career path an apartment would only give +5 to items carried, whereas the max on a PI/UP would be 30. This way everyone including beginners can make use of a career path.
Shaon [1862221]

You see I am living in a PI but I don't own it. You don't need to buy a property to live in it. You can rent one, share one etc. And as I said before, getting an airstrip on an apartment or a yacht in a penthouse is impractical. So availing all upgrades to every property is impractical even in lesser extent.
Kitty420 [383500]

Can the ship go from say South Africa to the UK without having to go back to Torn? I have to say I hate that as it is not how travel works in the real world. Also, could you upgrade to a pirate ship and steal others purchases while they are flying home? Can the ship have a casino or movie theatre as travel is so so so very boring.

Could the Healer's house actually have the benefit of healing say a faction member during a chain event. As in, instead of the attacking player getting the med cool down could the Healer take that cool down instead and make it so the house would or could increase their cool down allowance from 24 to 36 or make it so the healer's cool down rate decreases faster?

I dont know about the never being arrested thing for the Thief house, that seems kinda op.

I like your idea but I do agree with the player who said it needs some work to be less overpowered.
Shaon [1862221]

Thanks for the feedback. That is a little bit over expectation like the thing you mentioned. I even doubt that this new property idea will someday see the light.

No the ship wont be able to travel from south africa to UK nor the healers will be able to reduce med cooldown. the traveler's property is simply a better way to carry more items and healers house is simply a way to remove the dependency on a faction for becoming a healer. For the crime property, increase in success chance is actually vague cause I currently have 20% increased crime success rate from 2 perks and with 30 NNB still sometimes get caught while trying to still a big box of chocolate. So my personal opinion is it's not OP since arrest thing do not affect a player directly. I will have to employ more thought on that.
Shaon [1862221]

I haven.t faced arrest yet nor I arrest someone so I do not know about this much. But I have read somewhere in forum that arrest does not affect the player money in hand or crime experience. I could be wrong. Then based on what you are saying crime property become a bit OP. I have to ask some more ppl before I change it to 50% chance  reduction from 100%