Hello all. I'm sure someone must have thought of this before, but I will just write it down here and maybe people think this is a good idea. As we all know, currently we have the Pm's, New player chat, global chat, company chat and faction chat. These are all wonderful in its own way, but do have some limitations. Torn is for many a social game, a game where connections and fun banter is part of the daily grind. Sadly for many of us, we are often torn away from our friends (Get the pun? *sigh*).
Sure, companies and factions somewhat allow you to collect some friends, but this does not work in a similar way. Factions have restrictions, goals and rules which often don't match certain players. Same goes for the company, where they might be out of a players work stats or interest to join. There are people who stick in new player chat for ages because they will lose the chat if they move up and therefor lose connections with some of their friends. Of course there is private messages, but we can all agree it is not the same as when you talk with them in group. So what is the solution? Custom chat rooms.
Let's say these rooms are added to the game, players could acquire them for let's say 250 points. These rooms could hold 10 people and if you want to add more, there would be a fee of 25 points. This way, the points market gets a bit of extra activity and people won't start hundreds of rooms, rendering them pointless or just a hindrance.
One could call these rooms Families, using the same basic principles of a company or faction. Where the "leader" accepts people in and can kick them out when required. This sort of set up would also help with limiting the amount of custom chats a player has and make the whole set up a bit less confusing.
Feel free to share your input in this matter :)
I would pay to join one of these type of chat rooms.
You might want to maybe decrease the amount of points nessary as 250*50k(just around the average price if not less than average) = 12.5 million, and that might be hard for new, or low level players to aquire. You may also want it to be either points or cash, as the value of points may fluctuate by a thousand or so in a day quite possibly more.
Ive thought the same thing several times, Custom Chat "Rooms"!
Nice idea, and I would likely pony up the $$ for a feature like this.
The price is adjustable, it is just something to put a number on it. However, 12.5 million is spare cash for many players and only the starters of the chat room would have to pay this fee. It would be like the start up price of a company or faction. People would be able to join freely once the room has been made. Just like companies or factions, it might be more beneficial of joining an existing one as new player instead of creating one.
Wouldn't it then be a good idea for people to apply to the chat room, the same way you apply to a company, or a faction?
Edit; that is, instead of joining freely
I totally agree...
I believe custom chat rooms may have been requested before now?
This was what I meant with:
"One could call these rooms Families, using the same basic principles of a company or faction. Where the "leader" accepts people in and can kick them out when required."
R+ and bump!
i like it!
This is much-needed addition, in my personal opinion.
Hopefully, this comes "soon".
funny thing is im currently in a "chat room" with 2 of my faction members.
Me and my spouse swapped names and it messed something up but now whoever i talk to my spouse and i share the same chat box,
so basically is a 3-way chat between most people i talk to.
reported it as a bug but nothing has been done.
To be honest i've become rather fond of it.
I think Ched has confirmed something like this will eventually be a reality. I'm not sure though and can't find the post.
I like this idea.
Given that "imminent" is over 50 days, and that "soon" is 1-7 years, I reckon that in Ched-speak "eventually" means "might be this century, might not"
id pay for this
At first ten minutes of browsing the suggestions forum, I could not find a post about this topic. Either way, some discussion about this could not hurt. It might bring to attention the value a lot of people place upon the social aspect of Torn and what ways this could be enhanced.
Sure why not
Motoko-Dono,
The one problem I foresee revolves around community safety and balance of freedoms.
What happens if a dispute arises that merits staff involvement? Will the standing chat rules require updating and editing to figure for scope of moderation, et al.
Otherwise, it is brilliant.
I feel that the same rules could be enforced as faction chat and company chat. Currently these chat rooms have far less supervision as they are more closed of from the public. This means that there would be no increase in workload for the staff. People that are friends would be the most typical user of these chats and I can't see what difference these rooms would make rule wise as our typical DM's.
If things go bad in a room up to the point of being harmful, it should be up to the user to report it, just like it would be in any other chat room.