Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Title=Click Bait

Started by Flak [2091491] on in General Discussion.

35 replies · 498 views · thread synced · 10 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 36 / 36 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
36
Discussion span
→
Authority score
52 / 100
Historical score
23 / 100
Story score
57 / 100
Engagement score
68 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Mentioned in this thread

Flak [2091491] ×1

Flak [2091491]

Soooooo... It took me ages to realize what was happening, He only wanted a DP, I guess the actually guilty would twig far sooner than myself......

Here's what occurred no more than ten minutes ago.....

Some may already know that i recently changed my name (from Rick)... Some of you may also know that you sometimes get multiple chat boxes with the old name in one and the new name in the other...... One of my members pointed this out to me and had a strange sense of excitement about him, I thought little of it, I have strange members..... Anyways, he gleefully highlighted that he could talk to me in both boxes.... i started to think i had a very strange member..... But it wouldn't be the first..... So i continued to chat being dragged from one box to the other, Then came the strange request..........

xxxxxx: how about you give me a Dp
Martyr: Pardon?!?

Lmao, i mean, i've been quite generous to members, but none of them expect to get dps at request. I politely said no and tried to continue the strange conversation, thinking little of it.... now i have since closed the box and have lost the whole convo, but i managed to save some and it went a little like this.....

xxxxxx: Why don't I go tell some people about this
Martyr: sorry?
xxxxxx: Dude ur dumb
Martyr: Wtf you on about?
xxxxxx: Ah I'd rather just tell people about u
Martyr: What about me?
xxxxxx: That u are martyr
Martyr: really!!!, no shit!!
(i mean, it says it all over the chat boxes, whats he telling me for, i chose the name)
xxxxxx; I hate sarcasm
(this is where i realized what was going down, i was being hussled lmao)
Martyr: I hate people who try to extort me
xxxxxx: I wonder what the Admins will say
Martyr: wtf?!? are you still trying to threaten me?! lmao... whats you're problem?
xxxxxx: I'm crazy.. ok....
Martyr: #NAMECHANGE
Martyr: now f**k off
xxxxxx: One a Account per person
xxxxxx: U should read the rules
Martyr: #NAMECHANGE
xxxxxx: No this is another account
Martyr: dumn f**ker... and you tried to extort me... that would make you a cheater ?!?
xxxxxx: If I can talk to martyr and rick then this is another account stupid
Martyr: check my old mail messages... lol
Martyr: you sooo dead, i forgive the mistake, but you tried to profit from multis, you are the cheater here...
xxxxxx: Welp time to go to work

Needless to say, this got him a swift kick from the faction, i can decide that bit fine enough.....
I have barely stopped giggling since, he was sooo certain that he was getting his dp (lol)...  His well earned prize for catching a multi.

I really wish i had the full conversation!! 

But ALAS i'm confused, It doesn't seem like he was cheating per-se. I like people who **** with cheaters.....He certainly risked trouble, and tried to make things hard for the "Multi".... However isn't trying to profit from cheaters via extortion, cheating in itself?

My morals hurt..... And so here i am.... recounting the tale in hopes to get an opinion on matters :) 

Also please feel free to share any similar stories!! Discussion topic is obvious enough, i think.


Flak [2091491]

I almost upvoted you, But then i realised.....
Thats exactly what he'll be expecting me to do.....
I'm watching you.... oh drinker of beer......
Remilia [1284087]

Scamming is legal.

Scamming someone by pretending to break game rules is a huge grey area.

I've often hypothesized scenarios about whether I could trick someone into "middle manning" a small amount of cash to one of my "multi" accounts (That is really just a friendly player). The idea goes that by letting them in on my "illicit" activities it would allow them to feel in control of our interactions and give a certain level of inherent trust in me. Especially since they might think they could hold reporting me and everything I've said over my head to get their funds back. I've wondered if I could use that leverage (What? This is a scam? I can't scam you. If I scam you just report me for multi's and I'll get banned. *teehee* (⁄ ⁄•⁄ω⁄•⁄ ⁄)⁄ ) to EVENTUALLY get them to send me large amounts of cash, only for them to report me and have it do nothing due to not actually breaking any rules. Boom, free money.

In this scenario I am not a multi. I am not really breaking any rules. I would simply be pretending to be a multi, and pretending to break the rules to gain trust so I can scam someone for profit. However, without knowing exactly what evidence is needed to fed someone for multiple accounts, this plan could very well backfire and get the scammer banned. Can a player get banned for multiple accounts strictly based on what they say without any additional evidence? Without the answer to that question it's playing with fire.

 
AtmosFear [2088212]

Huh... I could've sworn there was a rule about extortion, but I must be mistaken as it isn't there right now. Obviously, he can't get anything of of you, so I don't see why we need this. I'm left more confused than anything now.
Flak [2091491]

Nobody has pretended to break game rules.... and alas, i know.... i will be unable to pretend to be a multi.... i'm sorry for any who wish to see the last poll option play out, I fear he knows now anyways :p In a different life maybe :) 

I've expressed this opinion before and believe you well highlight why it should be so. People who say they are multis, deserve to be treated identically. Now it would have to be blatant admittance tho. For me the true grey area, is leading someone to believe it, without ever actually saying it. Which is likely what i should have done here..... i thought about it, but not for long :p 
Josephine [1923258] Wiki Contributor

legit lol'd when reading this

You should send him an anon mail with a conspiracy theory about "RickSanchez being Martyr", not saying multis, just saying it's the same person, he might go crazy without believing you're the same person if the chat boxes are still working for him.

I have a friend who (back when name changes weren't so limited) once changed his name 3 times in a row and opened chatboxes every time to spam my screen

It was hilarious but also annoying

Sadly I thought I had screenshots but can't find them RIP :(
Flak [2091491]

You always try so hard to pick holes in things.... Not sure what started your grudge with me.... I think it's likely your ability to read letting you down here, Not the strange way i vocalize my thoughts.... Jog on troll... You're stats and chat history show you're general demeanor... If you ever have a decent criticism, please say it with adult words... don't just bitch and moan without relevant points... its tiring... You are just one of many here... dot... dot... dot...
Flak [2091491]

Found him, gave him a jackhammer... tried to advise on gameplay (serial do-nothinger), but i think it turns out he is waay too nice for this game... doesn't do anything he doesn't like... torn kinda eats people like that... shame, nice guy... hopefully he finds a niche :p 
Flak [2091491]

I was hoping an update would stop people attempting to claim the present i promised that dude. Sometimes there are reasons to say things without an expected response..... If you don't like me so much, why do you constantly seek my attention?
2106105 [2106105]

Surely extortion doesn't work without any leverage.

The unnamed party tried to extort OP out of a DP or they would report OP for cheating.

As OP isnt cheating and has just changed their name, the unnamed party has no leverage.

If the unnamed party decides to go through with their threat of reporting because they haven't been given their demands, then it will be a waste of time as OP isnt cheating.