Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Cloud storage

Started by Wollongong [12833] on in Technology.

17 replies · 102 views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 18 / 18 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
18
Discussion span
→
People posting
11
Likes on archived posts
11
Authority score
8 / 100
Historical score
17 / 100
Story score
35 / 100
Engagement score
56 / 100
Wollongong [12833]

Kind community of Torn, share your wisdom with me...

I need to store a bunch of PDF's in the Cloud, and am trying to find a good host.

Requirements:

- EU Based servers
- Free
- Sufficient storage space
- Reliable and secure

Google Docs is, for reasons which aren't relevant, not available. DropBox, the first that popped to mind is notoriously insecure. But which place then...?

 
Dusteh [1656134]

If you're only planning to store PDFs. There are free/paid cloud storage services out there.
Dropbox
Mega.nz
Google Drive

Each has their own free/personal use storage usually ranges around ~20gb
They also have their own mobile apps. The list goes on actually, but that's what I use.
oraN [1778676]

if you own or run a server install OWNCLOUD it is pretty secure as I was involved in pen testing for a company last year.

sticking to Dbox or Mega is a good idea both are equally good and fast. there are some bandwidth limitations with Mega Free account and the Paid ones are worth getting. Dbox on the other hand is using primitive security measures and there's no guarantee it can offer long term service. Box.com is another good secure reliable product but it is paid and very restrictive on the free account. 

 

On the Reliability of service side here's my rating

GC>Mega>Dbox>Box> and all other Cloud Hosts.

 

Also if PDFs what you're looking to store there's probably a lot of options online.
Xeretrax [2039020]

Why not just send them to yourself by email so they be in your inbox?

I also started using protonmail a while ago, quite like it so far. Note that they have a high levels of protection and encrypted mails as well. And its based in Switzerland, EU. Also note that by default it only has 500MB of storage, but depending on your PDFs it might just be enough.

Just login anywhere to access.

 

F*** clouds.
echosummet [1535723]

Hi, not sure what your requirements actually are regarding features, management, price, storage,etc but if you need permission granularity, more advanced security, and easy to use quality features I would say look at ShareFile. I use it at work, business account, unlimited storage, really easy to use and manage. 
Wollongong [12833]

Well, as I said in the first post:

Requirements:

- EU Based servers
- Free
- Sufficient storage space (for a bunch of essential PDFs)
- Reliable and secure

 

I have no clue what permission granularity is :D

 
Viracocha [1772040]

Never been a fan of cloud storage.

Same with optical storage media.

Prefer magnetic, and especially, solid state.

If you need safe off site storage (to deal with secure backups in the event of fire/robbery), use a safety deposit box at a bank.  Inconvenient, but solid.

Permission granularity...ahhahahaha, sounds pretty sophisticated.  Hahahaha.

That's right up there with 'Trunkification'.

 
echosummet [1535723]

Gotcha. Sharefile does not fit the bill for you then. 

 

Check out JottaCloud. I've never used it but heard good things. Based in Norway, 5gb free
Tandy1000 [2165609]

I would look at self hosting, there is plenty of free software out there and you could use a raspberry pi or and old computer, either way, super cheap