Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Linux + Torn = Very Slow

Started by mOW [1612611] on in Technology.

16 replies · 170 views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 17 / 17 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
17
Discussion span
→
People posting
11
Likes on archived posts
8
Authority score
23 / 100
Historical score
24 / 100
Story score
45 / 100
Engagement score
58 / 100

Most-liked replies

mOW [1612611]

EDIT: It appears as though even though it's enabled, hardware acceleration isn't actually working in Firefox. It works in Chromium just fine, and everything is smooth.

Not sure if this is the best forum for this, but I'm wondering if anyone else out there is running Linux and experiences extremely slow loading times when viewing the City map. I'm running Firefox 62 with hardware acceleration enabled. Every time I open the City, it takes much longer than normal to load, and all the fans in my computer start going nuts when the page is opened and keep going until I navigate away from the page (including just switching to a different open tab). When I'm on the City map page, even my mouse is incredibly slow.

There's no other page in Torn, nor any other website I've come across so far that does this.

* Manjaro 64-bit with kernel 4.18.7

* Firefox 62.0 with hardware acceleration
mOW [1612611]

Not sure what led you to believe my computer is a "paperweight" since I did not post any specs, but it is anything but.
Xeretrax [2039020]

Then why are you explaining its acting as if it is one?

And usually, in pretty much any situation, the freezing of the mouse, is a dead giveaway your processor can not handle it.

The only other way this happens, is a broken mouse or some recently corrupted/bad driver change, which is highly unlikely. As it would happen everywhere else as well, and not just in the city map.

Anything with remotely decent specs, no matter if its running windows or linux or even mac, no matter what browser, does not have this complaint.

Otherwise you would see tons of issues about it in the bugs section.

That by itself is pretty much a clear give away this problem is related to something on your side, and the number of reasons possible aint that big ...

If not your actual system the mostly likely cause could be how your software handles things, this again would be related to something unique to you, perhaps some messed up setting somewhere, else as said before, you would see a lot more of it in the bug section.
mOW [1612611]

It appears as though you did not read my original edit to my post. The issue is with hardware acceleration not working for shit in Firefox in Linux. Chrome/Chromium works great, so I’ve “solved” the problem for now.

By the way, my relevant specs to show you it is NOT a hardware problem, which is a ridiculous answer given my issue of a single web page having performance issues. If that were the case then I would consistently have issues, not on one page of one web site.

Intel i7 7700K

32GB DDR4-2400

Samsung 960 PRO

Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
_TB [102482] Wiki Contributor

Recently have had issues with the city map in full page mode whilst  using Firefox 62 - on both Windows & Linux.

And it seems other torn players have had too:

Bugs & Issues City Map Bug

There's a very recent update on Firefox to 62.0.2 on both Windows & Linux, with a couple of fixes to rendering issues. Maybe this will sort the City map problem out eh?

 

Mentions: City Map Bug

Uneven [2094590]

Is it possible a malicous script is mining crypto on your firefox? I have similar specs and when my browser still eats > 90% it means something has a big memory leak or worse.

People say you don't need anyivirus for Linux, but my Debian (stretch with some non-free firmware) has had some issues with cryptominers in Firefox. Having ESET scan for PUPs solved the issue on both Windows and Linux.
Xeretrax [2039020]

Such a script work affect any site not just torn and least of all only a specific page on torn.

And the days that Linux is save from viruses etc are long over. More then decade already. Granted there are less, but they still there.
Sepulchrave [2092631]

Mint/ff - all is good. I find that linux slows down occasionally for reasons known only to Yottle. Long ago I learned to set a restore point. Since then, having a fast, efficient OS has never been more than a couple of clicks away.
michaellinn77 [1190945]

Generally, not only cause of OS and browser. But also depends on your cimputer hardware and internet bandwidth. You should check browser plugins as well.
Astral [300312]

Still no drivers for Linux ayy. To take advantage of hardware acceleration it requires kernel drivers, your card may be to new for Linux.
michaellinn77 [1190945]
I agreed with you, people are always confused about browser and hardware performance. According to the surveys, Chrome is the best browser for now. I am using Ubuntu and Chrome to get back into Torn. There were no issues. My notebook was i3 6th Gen only, it's a bit old but still survives with Ubuntu.