Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Elimination Stats Shared!

Started by Orionis [1924258] on in General Discussion.

9 replies · 433 views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 10 / 10 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
10
Discussion span
→
People posting
8
Likes on archived posts
50
Authority score
51 / 100
Historical score
22 / 100
Story score
53 / 100
Engagement score
61 / 100
Orionis [1924258]

Some of you may have seen the Elimination stats I've put together in the Torn City Times's Elimination Stats and Roundup article. I've been keeping stats to analyze participation numbers in Elimination events for a few years now. As a result, I have a Google Sheets workbook where you can peruse this year's numbers as well as historical data from the previous two eliminations.

So obviously I'm creating this thread to farm karma. I figured I would share a link to the workbook for anyone who wishes to do some of that perusal. Additionally, I suspect there may be a few more number junkies like me out there who may want to make their own copy of the workbook so they can sort and filter their hearts out.

For instance, my attacks per participant per day column takes into account that being in the competition longer naturally leads to higher hit totals and hit per member/participant numbers. On the other hand, it can also make teams eliminated early have a moderately higher number than they would have had due to the amount of energy stacked at the start. 

Orio's Torn Elimination Competition Statistics

For this year's competition, team hit totals were not displayed on any of the competition pages. As a result, I was originally adding them by hand and hoping for low margins of error. For a while, I was able to use data compiled by Mauk's script, These final numbers were shared with me via sugarvalves from the official Torn data.

What do you guys think about the numbers?

TL;DR The link above is the workbook of the stats I put together which were in the newspaper.
Orionis [1924258]

There were certainly a few teams that had pretty good numbers, but were targeted and eliminated, yes sir.

On the opposite side of that, it seems there were several teams that, either through diplomacy or being perceived as non-threatening, managed to place pretty high in spite of relatively low numbers.
Tyrech [2091318]

Great effort to pull all this numbers together and definitely gives a new perspective on the whole competition, answering or confirming some questions we all had.

Adding the the attacks per team per day, was a nice touch. The way it was presented in the newspaper was quite detrimental to the teams who had an early leave. Although I understand your reservations regarding the energy stacked, I think it is far more realistic than just the average of attacks without considering the time in the competition.

Also, taking in consideration that the pattern of attacks by team doesn't follow a gaussian distribution, is there a way to pull the median of attacks as well instead of just the average, or does it have to be done by hand? It would be nice to have that as I believe it would represent even more realistically team's participation. (I made a table back when Villains were still in the competition - data is around 16pm of our last day - where I tried to realize the distribution of hitters between the last 4 teams remaining, but it was done by hand and just a gross overlook. A more detailed version would be awesome! I'll leave it here nonetheless for those interested.)
LaSpectra [2126655]

S**k a **** sugarvalves officially proves were the best even though we had the third to lowest participation rate we had most hits a day per participants

Now whos the real winners huh

WOOOOHOOO
Ilmatar [641520]

Numbers don't add up in 2018 ;)
AND i located your mistake: wrong elimination date for cupcake, looks like they were eliminated a whole day before snowflakes.

Which ends up altering the hits/member/day to below dongs as it does not quite make sense dongs made more total attacks, same number of members, eliminated sooner AND a lower number of attacks per member :p
Orionis [1924258]

Ah. Good call on the date. Was a typo and has been fixed now. Does bring their attacks per participant per day number down to 11.8, which is still good enough for 6th highest and is 4th highest of those who were in past the first weekend being narrowly beat out by a team eliminated almost an entire week before them. 

The data as of the time my team (GOAT) was eliminated had Cupcake ahead of Dongs on attacks per participant per day. I'd almost imagine they didn't have to push full force to keep Snowflakes low and held some people back just in case the flakes managed to put together a push.