Graph is defaulting to 1 year. This is probably normal, but 1 month is at the top! Nobody cares about 1 year graphs, so if this isn't normal can it be set back to 1 month.
Graph default
Started by PhaNToM [1503918] on in Bugs & Issues.
About this thread
Posts archived: 22 / 22 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
- Archived posts
- 22
- Discussion span
- →
- Authority score
- 61 / 100
- Historical score
- 35 / 100
- Story score
- 49 / 100
- Engagement score
- 66 / 100
People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.
Most-liked replies
- Proxima [1879587] Wiki Editor
· 9 likes ·
It gives the most recent information on a player. It’s usually the most or *only* useful graph. I have switched to 1 month view 100% of the time. Yearly view hides day-to-day changes and can often be quite useless. If … - Harley [258120] Wiki Contributor
· 3 likes ·
I've been getting pretty annoyed at this as well, it would be grand if the last selected option got saved in a cookie or something at least, so everyone has it set to their own preference. - Hank [1732212]
· 3 likes ·
I use monthly history regularly for checking members recent activity, xanax use, energy refills. During competitions such as tagging checking defends lost on the last month is very important.
Graph is defaulting to 1 year. This is probably normal, but 1 month is at the top! Nobody cares about 1 year graphs, so if this isn't normal can it be set back to 1 month.
Or give us the option, please!
I've been getting pretty annoyed at this as well, it would be grand if the last selected option got saved in a cookie or something at least, so everyone has it set to their own preference.
passing to the dev to look into
Perhaps I'm missing something, but what's the purpose of viewing the 1 month chart? I imagine it'd usually just be straight lines with no useful information.
The plan was to add an 'All' option to the graph fairly soon which would always be the default - showing from the earliest data point available.
It gives the most recent information on a player. It’s usually the most or *only* useful graph. I have switched to 1 month view 100% of the time.
Yearly view hides day-to-day changes and can often be quite useless. If you want to check if something has very recently changed trend (average xanax usage for faction recruitment perhaps, or defends lost for tag hunting, or whatever) it can’t do that.
I use monthly history regularly for checking members recent activity, xanax use, energy refills. During competitions such as tagging checking defends lost on the last month is very important.
That would be my preference, too, that it simply remembered which settings we used last, and defaulted to the same thing. It is highly likely that different people will care about different charts, different time periods, etc, so by remembering what we looked at the last time, that gives the highest chance that it will default to the thing that particular player is most interested in.
Myself, I'm almost always interested in the 1 month chart, and usually, what I am looking at is activity over the past month. Sometimes I look up other things, but the last 1 month activity chart is by far the most common.
I should also say <0.1% of the time will anyone go into someones personal stats and want to know what they were doing 10 years ago. Please don't set 'all' as a default.
Sure can change. I presumed the graphs would mainly be used for historical comparisons tracking progress over time, in which case 'all' (or currently X years) is by far the most interesting. For someone like me, the 1 month graph is entirely pointless.
That isn't an entirely fair thing to say that it is entirely pointless. For a player, we don't have access to the database to check the changes, and it does let us know if someone is having "a good or bad" time recently with stuff on a daily basis within the month. Personally, I don't generally use the graphs unless I am comparing certain points among my friends, but I see the merit of it for many players.
I think it's pointless for you because you don't 'play the game' as you've said yourself - you don't particularly need to see recent day-to-day changes in order to go about your business (and if you do, as Rino says, you have access to those exact values anyway).
Thank you for changing.
How about the default being, whatever you viewed last in your browser? It really only has to save as a local cookie IMO
Doesn't really work when sharing personal stats URLs with others.
I agree with the rest. For me the 1 month chart is the most useful one by far and I change to it literally 100% of the time. Here are just some of the things I use it for where the other graphs simply wouldn't cut it;
- Check my hits during chaining. Since there is no proper statistics anywhere when the chain is still ongoing, I need to see how many 'Attacks won' I had yesterday and compare it to the current number to see how many hits I've done in the ongoing chain.
- During competitions like the current Dog Tags, I need to see defends lost when I am attacking inactive players. If the person has lost defend after the 5th of November, I know his tag is most likely gone.
- Tracking my networth. I need to see how much I am spending or earning daily to properly manage my expenses.
True, but that could still jump around a little. If you clicked a link for the graphs, that would be set as the new default. I'm fine with that.
One day you might be checking 10 people at 1 month.
Another day you're checking 10 people "all time".
IMO, there is no perfect default, having it save for multiple searches in a short time is a great solution
Why can't you set a cookie with your own personal view preferences?
For some competitions, 'defends lost', or 'attacks won' in the last 1 month is the most useful graph. You'd want to be able to default this if you're looking through 100's of profiles in a short period of time.
For doing recruiting, looking at 'xanax used' in the last 3 months is the most useful graph. You'd want to be able to default this if you're looking through 100's of profiles in a short period of time.
There are many use cases for being able to default a view in the personalstats section to your specific requirement. Please make this an option, or allow us to set a local cookie storage preference.
I know I could do this with a script, but it'd be nicer if it were just built into Torn.
If you get to the stat charts by clicking a link, it seems like it should follow whatever the link tells it.
If you get there by clicking on a players link, it seems like it should default to whatever you used the last time.
CHED, PLEASE THIS ^
If we need to get 100 votes on a suggestion thread it would be that easy. As Alex said, there are many cases for defaults.
Note: if BOTH fields allowed you to set a default (or just last viewed) that would be mega bonus.......
I must admit that I tend to use the monthly view the most too. For all the reasons listed above