Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Sanctuary Cities

Started by Viracocha [1772040] on in Politics & Law.

59 replies · 311 views · thread synced · 7 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 60 / 60 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

MadHatter [486416]

"Then why do they still have thefts in countries where cutting off the hands is the punishment."

Because they only cut off one hand at a time [:tongue:]

Just kidding, of course. Valid points. I'd agree with just about all of that, but I think the Buddhist thing might be a bit of a stretch lol

And I agree that we shouldn't demonize illegal immigrants (as people) beyond them being illegal immigrants. The ones that are criminals should obviously be treated as such, but I don't harbor ill-will against the decent ones on a personal level. In fact, I know many and I like most of them. A really good friend of mine tricked the system and defrauded his way into citizenship. I don't necessarily respect what he did, and I wouldn't encourage it, but I consider him a good person and a good friend. But... unfortunately, that doesn't change the way I see the law. I suppose I do lean a bit more towards authoritarianism in that regard.

I think the worst part of all of this is that I would like to exist in a world without borders. I don't like having to have a nationalistic identity. In fact, my nationalism is a direct reaction to the last few years. Ten years ago, I called myself a socialist. I was obviously an idiot (still am), but my heart told me that people are people and we shouldn't be so damn divisive. As I've aged, though, I've realized how deeply impractical that philosophy is... and if you have something, you had better be willing to protect it, because there's sure as **** someone out there willing to take it from you. For that, I've hardened my heart to those outside of my kin and community.

I just want us to get back to our pagan roots, where we all live in the forest, take drugs, dance nekked and **** all day. Praise Gaia!
AwakeNoWokeFail [79965]

Why is it a shitty comment? I have relatives who live in Paradise. I said nothing to disparage the dead.

Earthquakes and wildfires ARE our demons. Earthquakes we can't do anything about. Just like those in the southeast that have to deal with severe weather.

Our wildfire issues could be lessened if we didn't have all those regulations to 'conserve' our environment.
Sagramor [1908287]

"Our wildfire issues could be lessened if we didn't have all those regulations to 'conserve' our environment."

Mind explaining this point further?
Viracocha [1772040]

Sag, what's to expand upon?  High density sectors of too close together, open concept homes punched down in begrudged footprints.  Greenbelting causes more harm than good.

More of this come into my lair nonsense where you then spout some legal reference (as if all laws are sacrosanct and cannot be amended or changed, or media bit by some heavily biased outlet, and think that's a discussion?  

your study link on the gender inequality I propose exists in criminal and family law courts in the US and Canada, is not supported by several peer reviewed studies conclusions.

your link on the vanity fair bit, is just a left leaning hit piece on Benedict and his more conservative approach to the Papacy.  Pushing cultural Marxim ad nauseum.

I suppose the record breaking homicide rate in Toronto this year, is as a result of lax gun laws, and failed social programs in your view, and is not whatsoever related to the demographics of those involved in.  Back in 2012, the Danzig St. mass shooting is exemplary of the problems.  I don't see Polish immigrants forming street gangs, and starting wars.  Oh wait, now its gonna be the White Privilege argument...

speaking eloquently makes you no less prickish.

 
AwakeNoWokeFail [79965]

All these fires tend to start in state parks or state regulated land. It's not all PG&E's fault. We have regulations that state you can't mess with the environment around us. We're supposed to keep it natural.

Keeping it natural isn't a good thing sometimes. California has had wildfires forever. It's our climate. But since we aren't allowed to remove nature's trash to keep it from becoming a bonfire, we have wildfires.
Viracocha [1772040]

if our area ever experiences drought conditions a bit longer than this past summer we are in big trouble.  We already had a number this past summer.  I'm in Eastern Ontario.

Everytime the wind blows a bit, trees fall, and electrical service goes out.  You can drive down highways and see trees leaning or fell upon the electrical lines.  No management.

So between lack of infrastructure management, high density residential pockets of highly combustible homes (open concept = woodstove), and greenbelting...many regions in North America are in danger of such mismanagement.

The fires aren't out in California and already over 70 confirmed dead, and many missing.  The evac plans were outrageously criminally negligent.  Seriously, staggered?

I swear its intentional putting fish in the bottom of a barrel, as opposed to evac plans.  I've seen this in several disasters of late.
AwakeNoWokeFail [79965]

When I went to 7/11 today I witnessed something disgusting. A woman who is not homeless had her pants down and was taking a shit in the gutter. I turned the corner and saw the shit coming out of her ass.

Someone kill me now, please.
Viracocha [1772040]

One guy was telling me that working at a local manufacturing plant, they take little baggies and such and use them to defecate in, rather than using the indoor facilities.  

It used to be something you could actually google, but google as with all other social media and internet tools, are slowing bending to this PC will.

Its not merely lost to the heaps of search items, its actually either removed online, or removed from search query results.

I've seen this with a number of scientific reports, even those published by my government.  Even through FYI requests they are displaying obstructive conduct, by withholding, suggesting they can't, etc.

The bottom line is, cultural disparity is something you will solve even a few generations, as these newcomers hunker down in the sanctuary cities, where they link up with others, both illegals and legit immigrants.  We try to have rural and small towns foster them in, only to spend a bunch of money and time and effort, to make them welcome, only for them a few months later head to their ethnic enclave.

Not like the European enclaves by country of origin either post WW2.  These ones, rather than trying to integrate, organize to change our country to become what they left.
Collete [1389080]

I think she means cleaning up all the deadwood and brush in the forrest that catchs fire in the dry seasons  that usually means controlled burns in my country to remove the potential for worse fires in summer when it doesnt rain much.
Sagramor [1908287]

That's what I was asking about. Controlled brush burning is something I've done in my younger years working in the forestry sector, but was largely a matter of setting slash fires in the winter and brushing/thinning in the warmer months. Lately, the argument for deforesting areas in order to curb the amount of fuel that can go up in flames seems to be based on somewhat dated information that isn't factoring in wide clear-cutting, agricultural land with no buffer zones, spraying desiccants that leave standing match sticks along critical infrastructure corridors rather than brushing and clearing. While historically small-scale forest fires were common throughout the record, and even in California the successful application of controlled forest-fires led to more manageable mature old-growth varieties (sequoias, redwoods, etc.), and even contributed to the production of edible cyanide-free acorns.

"The indigenous people practiced various forms of sophisticated forest gardening in the forests, grasslands, mixed woodlands, and wetlands to ensure availability of food and medicine plants. They controlled fire on a regional scale to create a low-intensity fire ecology; this prevented larger, catastrophic fires and sustained a low-density "wild" agriculture in loose rotation.[17][18][19][20] By burning underbrush and grass, the natives revitalized patches of land and provided fresh shoots to attract food animals. A form of fire-stick farming was used to clear areas of old growth to encourage new in a repeated cycle; a permaculture."

I guess the point I'd like them to clarify is whether or not a wholesale abandonment of ecological protection measures is what they're advocating for as large conservation areas do produce micro-climates that could, if expanded on contribute to drought mitigation. Whenever we rip up entire forests there is a process of erosion and drying out that does contribute to drier conditions in any particular region. Sometimes the consequences aren't even fully appreciated until it's too late.