Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

DnD Beginner Advice

Started by Cindi_Rose [2226234] on in Hobbies & Interests.

16 replies · 134 views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 17 / 17 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
17
Discussion span
→
People posting
13
Likes on archived posts
19
Authority score
23 / 100
Historical score
17 / 100
Story score
35 / 100
Engagement score
58 / 100
Cindi_Rose [2226234]

So Im about to begin playing DnD with a bunch of my friends and were all new to it except the DM, is there any advice? 

Also running a Fire Genasi Rogue Arcane Trickster, I am very excited.
Silkhands [2118155]

If it's your first venture into roleplay then just have fun! Don't get too attached to your character or too serious. You can always roll another.  Best thing for later maybe would be to think about how you want to play your PCs personality. Their quirks, fears, and what have you!

Edit... rogues are uber fun to play, but don't steal from your party if you're just starting out. Leave the really under handed deviousness for when you've gotten into the game mechanics. Remember, as a rogue you are the party scout, trap locator, door unlocker ect.... 
Cindi_Rose [2226234]

Yes I am prepared to always look for traps because there are closets and chests that are monsters that can eat you. 

I was going to play my character as Chaotic Neutral because Im new at this and I was mainly going to be devious towards the other characters of the world.
SurgeonGeneral [360740]

I know it's your first game, but have you crafted anything for the game.  There is a whole sub-culture to D&D that crafts terrain pieces.

There are many channels, and 4 to 5 of them all formed a co-op group on Facebook, and it just gets massive amounts of postings a day showing over everyone's creations.

Here is one of the thousands of popular videos on just one channel.



Basic Dungeon Tiles For D&D Tutorial (Episode 011)

Tried embedding a video, couldn't make it work.

 

 
Cindi_Rose [2226234]

Oh that is so cool and thanknyou so much!

I have thought about the terrian and my DM that I found is an experienced one so she actually has some terrian and small things but Im going to show her these.

Maybe we can make more and craft the world for our game!
Sweeney_Todd [27468]

Glad to see people still play pen and paper rpgs. D & D is a fun game, but there are so many others so much better. Been 20 years since I last properly played...

Google is your friend... [:sick:]
Zenmo [2098381]

keep the other players as well as the DM in mind the only time it is remotely okay to be a dick to everyone is if you are playing the character (of course dont make the character to intentionally screw everyone over)
Helliot [2231869]

Hi! I'm a professional DM, I DM for a living at a business--let me know if you have any questions about story or building your character!
Nekys [538682]

Everything is either cursed or trapped. Treat everthing like that anf if you done get hacked to bits by the usual random monster  you should be ok
CRLF [2095076]

Th first time I played D&D was 1976 and we used this rulebook. I remember it was just copied in black and white and came in a ziplock plastic bag. You could find it on college campuses.

[image: gyazo.com]

I lost track of it about 10 years ago, which is too bad, it's probably worth some money now.

My son now DM's and he records his sessions and posts them on google drive for me to retrieve. I can review them and send him feedback.

Your group might want to audio record at some point too, it's great to be able to go back and review an entire campaign.

EDIT: I just looked it up. It came in a box, but the ones at Johns Hopkins U. were in a baggie. No idea what they did with the boxes.
SporkMonkey [2065017]

I have played and run games of all genres for the past 25 years. I love RPGs, and I cut my teeth on the hobby with AD&D.

In addition to the great advice and resources already mentioned here, there are several YouTube creators I recommend.

Search for Matthew Colville. He has a great series on how to be a good DM. Save or Dice is also a great channel. 

How to Be a Great Dungeon Master is a bloke from the U.K. that has many good videos on the topic, as well.

Then there are some great channels that are just fun to listen to. Puffin Forrest and Mann Shorts top my list.

 

Good luck in your pursuit! I have toyed with the idea of running a forums based game here, but not sure what the response would be. I haven't had much experience with running a game that way, either.

Also, it warms my heart to see forum regulars, like Sweeney and Wall St, on this thread. I never would have guessed some of y'all were gaming geeks. [:dizzy:]
RavenFaechild [2237335] Tester

1) NEVER split the party, The DM will give players alot of chances to do this very thing but it is a TRAP and will almost definitely KILL you or the other party members, I am speaking with 20 years of experience in the game here XD

2) Just because an item looks fun and magical does not mean it isnt cursed to high heaven and back, be wary at all times!

3) just have fun, dont get too hung up on the rules and enjoy yourself
ShiroeGM [2239042]

1.) Talk to your dm if you ever have a problem with the way something was handled. Your other people who can't read each others minds. So talk in private after the session or a day or two later. The dm has to manage so much he might not realize your upset with something.

2.) When making a character make one that you'll find fun right after creation, not 10 levels later. If you have to wait 10 levels for your character to be fun, don't play that character. You will hate yourself and be bored the entire time because you don't like your character.

3.) talk to your party. It's a cooperative game. There are plenty of other people at the table and working together and developing your characters together create some of the best experiences you will have

4.) careful being too passionate. You might fall in love with the game or TTRPG's in general. Take a moment to breath and remember not to become obsessed. Because obsessions form bad habits

otherwise just enjoy the game and the escapism. Being willing to try crazy ideas and think outside the box. (Like casting darkness on a pebble and having your familiar pick it up and run around with it. That was a crazy session of freaking out guards as a moving orb of darkness chased them XD) Your dm might not allow every crazy idea but you can definitely make some fun ones.