I'm still here because I'm past level 15 and can easily go flying and do trading and I do actually have people I talk to on Torn. It's just easy to see why newbies get turned away seeing as I was one not too long ago.
Newbies
Started by ISHAAN [2112856] on in Questions & Answers.
Posts archived: 36 / 36 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Uh...
Tl:dr; Torn too different from modern games for most people. Not enough options or instant gratification.
That simple enough for you?
Tl:dr; Torn too different from modern games for most people. Not enough options or instant gratification.
That simple enough for you?
As someone who's only been playing for five days, this game isn't for everyone. Most people don't have the patience these days with all the ADHD issues that the Internet and social media and instant gratification games lead to. But then again, I was actually seeking a large, long game to play and I found this by chance on Google. I wished I'd known about this year's ago, even months ago, but at least I'm now here and should he for life.
I have only been playing a few days but this game is a lot like several games I played in the dark times known as dial up, I'm also a table top player so I guess the long term doesn't bother me. I play the long game at real life to so there's that lol.if I was to suggest anything though, then i have a few. I enjoy the hidden experience for our levels but I don't think it would hurt to put up a better stat system for the crimes. I also think that it would be cool if we had places to explore and if there is any ,I don't know about it. I think a big issue is the lack of certain statistics for us to view and also a lack of little things to do early on to keep our attention. The newer gamers especially us mobile players have short attention spans and its caused by the constant game baiting that we see. Most games on mobile are designed to draw you in and make you feel like a winner then the game starts taking longer and longer then they start wanting money for you to continue to enjoy the game in a quick pace. Most of the younger people never played things like this and have no clue about long term rewards, I sound so flippin old.......I'm 33 sigh.
I can never agree more as the waiting time is killing most of the newbies from pursuing to lvl 15. End of day 1, there's nothing much you can do but to wait with nothing to distract you. Progression and achievement are things which most gamers look forward to.
[image: i.postimg.cc]
This should be 1600, not 12.
Perfect time to start buying/selling on the markets.
Learn the profit margins, watch the markets.
Buy bricks for $5, sell for $500 - $600 each
Plushies, Beer, empty boxes, Pepper Spray, etc.
You're allowed up to 100 items purchased from the city shops (Bits n Bobs, Big Al's, etc.) per day. You can buy unlimited amounts from the item markets all of the time.
This is how you make your money.
Or find a trader to trade items with.
Buy/Sell points. Store your money in points. Many times people will sell small lots of 5 to 10 points at a time. Save up for a Bazaar to escape the listing fees.
This should be 1600, not 12.
Perfect time to start buying/selling on the markets.
Learn the profit margins, watch the markets.
Buy bricks for $5, sell for $500 - $600 each
Plushies, Beer, empty boxes, Pepper Spray, etc.
You're allowed up to 100 items purchased from the city shops (Bits n Bobs, Big Al's, etc.) per day. You can buy unlimited amounts from the item markets all of the time.
This is how you make your money.
Or find a trader to trade items with.
Buy/Sell points. Store your money in points. Many times people will sell small lots of 5 to 10 points at a time. Save up for a Bazaar to escape the listing fees.
1. Mobile should have had its own server on release because people get discouraged being a decade behind the curve on a game that they’ve just had released.
2. Most mobile games don’t last the amount of time it’d take to finish tasks like education, I myself worry if torn will shut down before I finish or even get a PI and Stock BB.
3. There’s so many ways to ruin others gameplay by users and the game. I get home from work at 3:30 if a DB is setup then I can’t fly which is my only income, can’t trade since money is in cayman, so my game is done for the day. There for a while I was getting mugged repeatedly and spent a lot of money just to get out of the hospital he’ll i even maxed out my timer a few times and had to stay.
4. Back to 1 kinda, everyone is so far ahead no one wants you even 1* jobs have turned me down. People want to be useful and not do the same exact thing every day (fly, buy, fly back, out in market, repeat).
5. Asking for help when I started ended up with attacks, so I waited to get a good faction and asked questions in their chat. If I’d have joined a noob chat with my friends who started I’d be screwed. I end up answering theirs sometimes, maybe we need a mentor system?
2. Most mobile games don’t last the amount of time it’d take to finish tasks like education, I myself worry if torn will shut down before I finish or even get a PI and Stock BB.
3. There’s so many ways to ruin others gameplay by users and the game. I get home from work at 3:30 if a DB is setup then I can’t fly which is my only income, can’t trade since money is in cayman, so my game is done for the day. There for a while I was getting mugged repeatedly and spent a lot of money just to get out of the hospital he’ll i even maxed out my timer a few times and had to stay.
4. Back to 1 kinda, everyone is so far ahead no one wants you even 1* jobs have turned me down. People want to be useful and not do the same exact thing every day (fly, buy, fly back, out in market, repeat).
5. Asking for help when I started ended up with attacks, so I waited to get a good faction and asked questions in their chat. If I’d have joined a noob chat with my friends who started I’d be screwed. I end up answering theirs sometimes, maybe we need a mentor system?
Re #4, the clothing shop I work hires now and then, and it's a 10*. The best benefit is the mug reduction special, where a mugger gets 75% less than what he'd otherwise get from you - very helpful! I think we're full up right now, but we're not the only clothing store. Look for the ones that say "hiring" in the store name.
You should be able to store your money in your faction's vault. Or you can marry someone trustworthy and store it in their vault, assuming you marry someone who has a vault.
You can earn money reviving or slutting or whatever and have them pay you in items or points instead of cash or as part of a cash payment.
You should be able to store your money in your faction's vault. Or you can marry someone trustworthy and store it in their vault, assuming you marry someone who has a vault.
You can earn money reviving or slutting or whatever and have them pay you in items or points instead of cash or as part of a cash payment.
Points can't be traded
meh I wanted a very long term game and this was the best choice!
Not directly from person to person, but they can be bought and sold.
How can you pay them in points then
Hmm, I haven't ever tried this. Can't you just send someone the points, the way you'd send them an item? (Not through the trade app.)
You can send them money to buy points
To go against the flow, I personally love Torn as a slow grind. You'll note that games of a similar nature that are faster paced are either no longer around five years later, or they've had five resets for balance issues. A group of us in my faction used to play other faster paced games while chatting in irc and checking in on torn every half hour or so. Admittedly I've been playing more than ten years, I've had periods of absence and torn is always here to come back to.
When I was a noob there was no money for free like there is now. The elite either hunted, which is extremely boring, or they've sat on their thumbs and trained. There was no flying abroad for plushies and flowers, there was only a single destination from the airport!
Although there are players who have spent all of ten years plus grinding the shit out of their stats or personal net worth, there are thousands who stopped playing but came back and there are thousands more who didn't, and who have low stats for their level due to the difficulty in gaining stats as a newbie way back when. Those are low hanging fruit and with the advanced search feature for donators you can pick them at your leisure by searching days old. There's always something to do if you dont mind grinding, such as trading small items on the market to make enough for a donator pack, but that sounds like the primary issue here; Torn is all about the grind for successful players. Torn has survived this long because it's hook is longevity. It's had fairly major updates the last few years, some I liked, some I didn't, but the game does evolve and there's a lot more to do, and a lot more money than when I started. So I can see your position, but you don't realise how much easier it is now. A player ten years ago wouldn't have been in a PI after two weeks trading lmfao!
When I was a noob there was no money for free like there is now. The elite either hunted, which is extremely boring, or they've sat on their thumbs and trained. There was no flying abroad for plushies and flowers, there was only a single destination from the airport!
Although there are players who have spent all of ten years plus grinding the shit out of their stats or personal net worth, there are thousands who stopped playing but came back and there are thousands more who didn't, and who have low stats for their level due to the difficulty in gaining stats as a newbie way back when. Those are low hanging fruit and with the advanced search feature for donators you can pick them at your leisure by searching days old. There's always something to do if you dont mind grinding, such as trading small items on the market to make enough for a donator pack, but that sounds like the primary issue here; Torn is all about the grind for successful players. Torn has survived this long because it's hook is longevity. It's had fairly major updates the last few years, some I liked, some I didn't, but the game does evolve and there's a lot more to do, and a lot more money than when I started. So I can see your position, but you don't realise how much easier it is now. A player ten years ago wouldn't have been in a PI after two weeks trading lmfao!
I know this thread is pretty old, and someone just revived it, but damn, I want to put my 2 cents in real quick, and I'll make it real simple
Older games like torn, from 10+ years ago had a certain charm and draw to them: Socialization, somthing that doesn't nearly happen as much as it used to back in the good Ole days of online gaming. Many games had slow progression, so you could sit and chat and make some friends. This type of game is kept on life support from those who loved it in the past, and kept playing, and once in a while a couple of people might come around and give it a shot, maybe they like it a little and play for a while, maybe they don't.
Older games like torn, from 10+ years ago had a certain charm and draw to them: Socialization, somthing that doesn't nearly happen as much as it used to back in the good Ole days of online gaming. Many games had slow progression, so you could sit and chat and make some friends. This type of game is kept on life support from those who loved it in the past, and kept playing, and once in a while a couple of people might come around and give it a shot, maybe they like it a little and play for a while, maybe they don't.