Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Data Rate Limited

Started by JohnCue [2106301] on in Bugs & Issues.

9 replies · 64 views · thread synced · 5 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 10 / 10 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
10
Discussion span
→
People posting
4
Likes on archived posts
1
Authority score
34 / 100
Historical score
21 / 100
Story score
36 / 100
Engagement score
46 / 100
JohnCue [2106301]
I hope This is the correct place to post this.

The last 3 or 4 times I have been chaining, I get data rate limited. I get closed out of torn for around 30 minutes. The message will say something about too many inquiries within an hours time. It also says something about checking for scripts that may be running. I have no idea what scripts are. I do use an app (is that the same thing as a script?) called DocTorN. My wife recently started playing also. I do not recall if the problem started before or after she started playing , but it did start around the same timef rame. I usually open several windows when Chaining to speed up the process. It is my understanding that many do this. I have used multiple tabs for chains since I started chaining close to a year ago, but the problem is only recent. Any input or ideas would be greatly appreciated. It is very inconvenient to be sidelined during a chaining event.
RatedR [72498]
you get the block when you make an absurd amount of request per minute. this can be due to multiple tabs open, scripts, multiple people on the same IP. it gets lifted after a certain amount.

does this answer your query?
JohnCue [2106301]
Well, It kind of restates what I said. I was hoping to determine why now and not since day one of chaining. It happens whether just myself, or my wife and I both, are logged in at the same time. I was also hoping for a way to prevent it from happening other than using only 1 open tab at a time.

All the same, I do appreciate getting a response. 

Oh, and what are scripts? I was hoping that might be the culprit since I am not aware of what that is.
Stewie [1494547]
Perhaps you could give us an idea of what you are doing exactly to get rate limited?
I.e. how many tabs do you have open; are you taking a lot of items in quick succession; opening up lots of Attack pages, etc.
Wamboozled [484539]
I also got this same message yesterday when I was on my phone chaining. I was only hitting people on the wall/enemy list/bounties. I was locked out for over an hour?

My computer was shut down so Torn wasn’t running on the PC at the same time. 

I had had one tab open being the Torn app. I wasn’t doing anything I wouldn’t normally do. Just click on target, attack, leave, go back to wall to find more. 

After one of the attacks, I hit leave and the rate limit came up in all white. I couldn’t do anything for over an hour. 
JohnCue [2106301]
Open tabs was different each time lowest number was 10, highest was 17. one tab for faction, one for items, the rest for enemies that I attack. After an attack, I take it back to the profile so I can see time left in hospital. In the past I would have 22 or 23 tabs open with no issues.
JohnCue [2106301]
This weekend (Saturday), had the same problem. The wife was the only one chaining. She said she had 12 tabs open when it rate limited her. The problem only occurs while chaining. It has also happened when I was chaining and she was not. Which means both of us logging in at same time is not the issue. It did not always happen either. A fairly new phenomenon.

EDIT: I use DoctorN and tampermonkey. The wife does not. So guessing those are not the issue either.
Stewie [1494547]
I don't believe we'll need to look into this further to be honest.

The system is in place for Torn's overall protection and reliability. I can only suggest limiting the amount of requests you are making in quick succession (e.g. opening multiple tabs at once), but I am certain it's all working as expected.

Thanks.