Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Offering free sigs

Started by Patchwork [977198] on in Graphics.

18 replies · 343 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 19 / 19 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
19
Discussion span
→
People posting
8
Likes on archived posts
19
Authority score
20 / 100
Historical score
26 / 100
Story score
38 / 100
Engagement score
63 / 100

Most-liked replies

Patchwork [977198]
EDIT: I will just use this thread for all new tags. Last post is my newest.

After the recent threads about no one making "good" signatures I thought I'd give it a shot. Beware I was always mostly a buyer. I made probably 3-5 signatures 6 years ago hah. Both of these were done follow a tutorial for about 2 steps then I instantly went rogue... as you can tell. But here is about an hour or two in Photoshop as a "complete" beginner. GO EASY.

Here was my first:

[image: i.imgur.com]


Here is my second:

[image: i.imgur.com]

I lost the focal point somewhere in the second and couldn't recover it.

I also decided I wasn't a huge fan of the render, but thought I'd keep it the same in both.

ps. I hate them both.
strikes [2244663]
Hey buddy you’re doing awesome for a beginner attempt. The render is very clean. It’s placed well.

First off I would say the text is a big issue. Especially the second one. Sometimes the outer glow can get a little cheap looking when it’s highly noticeable. I would suggest getting text/layer styles for text. I can send some resources if you like.
On the second one there is what I can’t see very well. I can only describe it as either a border or a misplaced filter on the right? I’m not sure what that is I would take that off. Then there is a definite border on the top and bottom that you should also remove. This just takes away from images.
Furthermore on the second piece there is this essence of sharpness near the head that looks rather chunky because it’s been over done.
There is more that maybe I can suggest but am tired to type out. Hopefully none of this sounds mean, because really I wish you the best. I love seeing people strive to be better and hopefully another more experienced and coherent person can add more critique! Cheers.
Patchwork [977198]
Thanks for the tips. I've made one more since. I think I'll for sure follow a tutorial later to try and learn more ;)

The text was intentionally bad on the second one :p

I'll take the tips into consideration on my next attempt :D

[image: i.imgur.com]

At the moment I'm just clicking around trying to figure out what everything does in photoshop hah.
cl3ric0l [569400]
yeah pretty much what strikes said really ...altho i would possibly move the render left/right slightly (rule of thirds).text i wouldnt worry about to much at this stage stick to something small/simple for now.also there is no light source but i dont wanna overload you to much lol ........all in all tho a good start. ...rated +
Patchwork [977198]
Overload me please!

I've been around long enough I should know some stuff.. just actually doing it is another thing.

[image: i.imgur.com]

I love balls/bubbles. This needed more balls for sure.They all blended into a dark mess hahah.
Mouse [520790]
Play with the opacity on your layers and learn blending more.

Research these first before anything.

- Rule of Thirds. (Should be your first always, your focal point will be spot on every time)
- Lighting, mainly shadowing and light sources. You need to learn the flow of your art. Lighting is key to make a beginner piece into a masterpiece with the correct lighting.
- Blurring. Learn how to blur and make you focal even stronger, and your backgrounds more dynamic.
- The curves feature (Photoshop) If learnt right, changes everything.


Next bit is my own personal rule, but can be broken dependant on how you piece it together. 

ALWAYS go with a theme. Like sci fi - bright, colourful, fantasy etc. Don't be afraid to Google what colours compliment each other. If you want to create a beautiful nature piece, research the colours that go with that theme, like light, dark, foresty anything really. Once you've learned this, once you pick your stock/render you will find it very easy to stick to a choice you've made and build on it. 
Mouse [520790]
When I say broken the rule, I'll give an example. I was making a retro style piece, got around layer 30, flicked through the layer options and flipped the colours it made it like a piece made on LSD, all pink and purple aha. So just followed the rule again, and developed on it. Sometimes you'll do 10 layers, sometimes you'll do 100+. It's all down to you deciding when you know what looks good and call it a day. If you want to come back and improve later, stick all your layers in a group and hide it. in case you make it worse so you can always go back easier.

[image: oi171.photobucket.com]
Patchwork [977198]
I shall work on both!

Touchme, unless you want a certain render I can find one. Tokyo Ghoul is something I can "relate" to.. abstract on the other hand may be a little harder haha.
RED-RABBIT [2203961]
You have a good concept here - and a I like the shading you did to pop the silver from just a plain black and white. Keep up the good work.