I am a 3rd year Electrical US student studying in Kolkata. I love computer science more than I love Electrical Engineering. I legit don't understand it at all. I want to work as a computer science student when I go back to US. So I am heavily interested in what are my possibilities. I have heard that changing field really doesn't matter as long as you're selling yourself. I do want to join a coding boot camp in order for me to be able to land a better job. But I really want to know what people think about this question.
Difference between a Developer and a Software Eng.
Started by CosB [2214595] on in Technology.
About this thread
Posts archived: 7 / 7 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
- Archived posts
- 7
- Discussion span
- →
- People posting
- 3
- Likes on archived posts
- 5
- Authority score
- 7 / 100
- Historical score
- 11 / 100
- Story score
- 29 / 100
- Engagement score
- 48 / 100
A lot of it is based on the company, youll have to dig into the job description to find what they want in skills.
That said, generally:
A software engineer usually is the one that builds the framework or application programming for a company/product. They will get instruction on what an end product should do functionally, then they design and write the code, test, document, etc. Many engineers can fill the role of developer as well.
A software developer will lead or be part of a small team that helps build a software product over time. They might build part of an extension that gets plugged into the software, and then do a code check for a fellow developer, then lead a group meeting on the next extension to write. Not many developers can pick up full engineering duties though. They usually dont have that level of programming experience.
That said, generally:
A software engineer usually is the one that builds the framework or application programming for a company/product. They will get instruction on what an end product should do functionally, then they design and write the code, test, document, etc. Many engineers can fill the role of developer as well.
A software developer will lead or be part of a small team that helps build a software product over time. They might build part of an extension that gets plugged into the software, and then do a code check for a fellow developer, then lead a group meeting on the next extension to write. Not many developers can pick up full engineering duties though. They usually dont have that level of programming experience.
Thank you so much for your kind response. I really appreciate this. I did a lot of research on what I wanted to be and I actually want to be a backend developer or someone that works on the servers and things. Is there by any chance you can tell me about how I can land a job in CS with an electrical engineering degree. Would you say that all engineering fields are intertwined-ly connected?
Sure, part of you EE is Circuit electrics. Get some Systems classes where you learn how a computer is built electronically.
I know an EE that works for a tech company building electrical components. Makes like 200k in real life.
I know an EE that works for a tech company building electrical components. Makes like 200k in real life.
Wowww that's like goals.... Thanks I will try that. Also as a bachelor in EE how much should I expect to make right off the bad after graduating? Just for my degree I'm sure I deserve some sort of cash right? lol
Ee in USA is well paid and easy to find a job. Maybe 60-75k then up very rapidly based on what you specialize in.
You could also have your degree assessed for what is needed to satisfy requirements for a compsci degree. Likely could explore moocs for what you are short on. I'd recommend MIT or Harvard for the open courseware. Its free.