I've only been playing for a few days, and in New Player Chat there have been about half a dozen times when people (joking or not) have talked about killing themselves.
I'd like to suggest that any time anyone does this, they either get a PM with the suicide hotline numbers for the countries where most players are from, or that is posted in the chat itself for others who may need help.
To make things even simpler, this page has many of them: http://ibpf.org/resource/list-international-suicide-hotlines
Thanks for your help.
Mephesto[1932248] · #2
ehhhhhh. i want to upvote this, like i really do. but this would be a nightmare to code so like i cant, but i love the idea. so im in an odd wall between yes! and oh good god no
I have seen this, sometimes I can't even tell which worries me, after experiencing grief of loss of friend in real life by taking their own life. If this system does not work, then some other way do please do address to the player; shame if they're joking around, though if its intentional, do act immediately for them.
Whether you dislike the player or not for their actions in the game, just even thought of that is detrimental. I would report it, and staff checks it immediately (thx for previous time). Though if there are better ways, do implement it, but from what I've seen, reporting works best.
just add suicide hotline info and put it with the rules or someplace like that its not a good or bad idea but you could have some liability issues that while they may or may not cause lawsuits but it can create bad PR. but if there are concerns that people need help they already have hotlines and my guess is that if someone wants help like that they could google it rather than do it in a game. if its personal from one friend to another that would be different i would find it highly unlikely that anyone would be sued but at the same time it would prolly protect the game if players were acting independently.
i give you a R+ from the heart but not on the suggestion to put it in the game based on me not liking the idea of mixing cold hard logical business with personal issues especially since this game is not in the business of handling things like that it was designed to be a game a fake escape from the real world ched and his team maybe tech nerds/geniuses but i highly doubt they have training in sociology or psychology or anything else and it could be a hazard for the business but i could be wrong but i just dont know.
I also think that the message during the flight to Switzerland, about Tornians going there for assisted suicide is a bit casual and makes light of suicide. I would rather it was removed.
Problem with depression-caused suicides is often the apathy that comes with it, taking control of the person's thought process... the person no longer has the willpower to actively look for help and to many people with some degree of social anxiety such thing as dialling up a hotline is that much more difficult of an action.
IRL Working in a medical field, I see SI on a regular basis. Here on torn, I feel bad for anyone who jokes about SI as they either have no idea what they’re saying or they’re a fool. So sad.
Assisted SI is something totally different in having “legally “ allowed to die with dignity.
Yes. Shouldn't be to hard, right. The system can filter words, putting **** instead, so it should also be able to automatically send a message to the person involved through chat and in-game mail.