In my boredom I do alot of research into various aspects of Torn,
In the last day I've been looking through HoF Factions and analysing wars, chains and the effort/time put into doing this by leaders and faction members of the like.
Some of our big leaders and higher levels dedicate an extraordinary amount of resources and control over running these factions, which made me curious, how many of you have been able to apply such tactics with success in reality?
Whether it be in career, sports or even criminal activity?
I take out my macana and start stabbing people. That's how I start my day.
Shit, I wish.
I come to Torn as I feel I have some control here - Real life is, put mildly, f**king garbage.
Isn’t that the truth, but in retrospect how many people could apply the same tenacity they use here and Make real life less of a steaming pile of shit?
I wake up, train at the gym.
Then I run some drugs.
I might attack a person or two and mug them or leave them on the street.
I take some drugs, then train some more.
Then I play Torn.
When I forget to train at the gym for a week my body goes to shit just like my torn account.
Zero. Anything you accomplish IRL will be negated by either your family, your employer or your government.
That is one defeatist attitude.
Blaming everyone else is a cover for your laziness
I suppose one lesson we might be able to take from Torn is consistency as it is a very good example of discipline and patience paying off. If you can see this and apply it to real life activities, kudos to you
2meirl4meirl
It just reminds me unfortunately of someone who wants to play violin at talent show, if they play it well, its clap clap hurrah good day, though if they try to act like Lindsey Sterling but trip over midway with a bow hair on violin
all dangling, then they'll be the talk of the week/month.
I work 12hr days 6 days a week. After travel times, chores, etc I get four hours to sleep in. For every $1 I make for the boss, I get 3 cents. One third of my income is automatically lost to taxation. After looking after my parents and paying for my sibling's educations there's practically nothing left. All I have to show for 13 years dawn to dusk work is a bunch of unemployed siblings, a very rich boss and a ton of government aid paid to foreign countries out of my paycheck.
Yes I'm just a lazy defeatist.
yes, yes you are.
Well you could live in a third world country, get ****d periodically, some months get paid some months get smacked for asking for payment, enjoy multiple governments simultaneously fighting each other using you as meat, watch your children get abused by your conationals AND foreigners, live in a 24 hours a day 7 days a week racist society, etc.
Maybe you are not a defeatist but you are most certainly not a realist or an optimist.
EDIT: Or as the actual pope says on the entrance in his chambers, and I really love this guy although I am not a catholic. Vietato lamentarsi.
10 years in the same industry, 3 of which managing a shop that was making 2+ million a year income. Worked right through Xmas one year, 28 days in a row, 10+ hours a day, for a monthly bonus of $200 that I was denied anyway.
Never made more than minimum wage, never been able to afford a vehicle or any vacations, never had actual benefits nor promotions.
At least, as Fane mentioned above, if I was used as meat it wouldn't seem like I am failing so hard IRL next to those around me.
But here?
Tthings I do have a weight, or an impact here.
You misunderstand me. I was countering the notion that dedication equals success, not trying to work out who's in the deepest manure hole.
I gave up optimism years ago, I know how the world works, if you want to call that defeatism, I'm ok with that. But don't say I'm lazy -or at least if you will call me lazy, then please show me where I'm going wrong.
Perception over Reality - It's the thought that's kept me sane.
People see what they want to see. If they don't like you, and refuse to see your contributions, they won't. Doesn't matter what it is that you do, it'll be attributed to someone else.
Usually, in that sense, whatever goes south will also be thrown at you, for the same reason. The work you do has literally no meaning if the powers above you *perceive* you to be lazy, or a poor fit for the company - Despite having solid accountability and numerical backing as far as your work and profits you have brought in.
In my experience, throughout over a decade of work, it literally doesn't matter if you are the highest earning, hardest working person that positon has ever seen. Some asshole in power above you decides at a first glance they don't like you, boom, game over. You're stuck.
New hire has no schooling, complaint after complaint, and refuses to learn - but has a well-off family? That's ok, a promotion and a raise oughta help!
Couldn’t have said it better myself, but at the end of the day it does come down to personal perception.
However it could also be stated that our working lives can push us into a “defeated” mindset. I spent many years working ridiculous hours and having sweet fa to show for it. Can really bring your optimism to a pessimistic opinion. I managed to break the mould and run my own business which has helped, but it took a fair bit of “shit can I pay rent this week” to do it. Life is designed to beat us down. But we as people need to take control in anyway we can to change that as best we can.
Preach it, brotha'. Doing what I can, but damn do I ever wish I could get outta the hole of "Ahh f**k my utilities are getting shut off"
“Well f**k, I think I might have to starve tonight to feed my child and keep electricity on for him”
I know it all too well..