Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Factionless

Started by MrBeefy [2320383] on in Questions & Answers.

33 replies · 628 views · thread synced · 9 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 34 / 34 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
34
Discussion span
→
Authority score
66 / 100
Historical score
21 / 100
Story score
43 / 100
Engagement score
72 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

MrBeefy [2320383]
Can people still become successful without joining a faction, just I like the solo thing y'know I'm really not much of a team player ?????
SeaLion [250755]
The best part of the game is being in a faction and enjoying the community. Abstaining from factions is possible, but you will lose the majority of the games entertainment imo.
Hawk [2080065]
Not required but huge benefits to joining a faction, even if you’re a silent participant.

Just the amount of things you LEARN makes it worth it.

Plus, you just made a forum thread, so you’re part of community at some level. A faction is just a smaller community within Torn.

I can recommend some great factions for a player at your level if you’re interested. Chat me if you want.

Best of luck!
Kitty420 [383500]
Factions aren't 100% necessary but there are benefits.
You don't have to join a super active in warring/chaining faction.
Faction mates often are there for you when you need a revive or bust/bail.
Faction mates often sell useful items to members cheaper.
Some factions provide you with good and useful information about things going on in the game like updates or upcoming events. They are often helpful in learning the best strategies for situations.
As a new player, I would say a peaceful faction offers more pros than cons.
Thrie [148961] Moderator Official
Factions are absolutely not required, but the game is designed to benefit you if you are a member of a faction.

Faction specials almost always include better gains when training in a gym, while you can have better gym gains if you join a company which has improved gym gains, the faction ones are better.

Faction specials can also include less drug addiction, while if you don't plan on taking drugs or just new may not seem that big of a deal, but if you do take drugs, the more you rehab the less effective rehabs become, which drives rehab costs up over a period of time. I have seen rehab bills around $14 - $16 million. By being in a faction you would end up going to rehab less, and less likely to get to those huge rehab bills. Factions also have specials to reduce the odds of overdosing, which comes in handy.

If you are interested in making money, most factions have specials that allow you to carry more items when traveling. This special can go up to 10 extra items. Once again there are job specials which allow you to carry extra items, but they aren't as good as te faction specials. Not to mention it is very difficult to find a job which has all the specials you are interested in.

If you want to make money reviving people (typically around $1 mil per revive) you can join a faction that specializes in reviving to reduce the amount of energy it takes to revive from 75 to 25 E allowing you to make more money.

Here is a list of all the possible upgrades

There are also many merits you will need to be in a faction to earn, especially the chaining ones.

Everyone has their own play style and factions may not be for everyone, but one of the best aspects in Torn is the social aspect, and you will absolutely make real friends within factions.
Brenn [1979397]
I play factionless. I'm doing fine.

Factions do require some participation. At one point I joined a revivers' faction, thinking I could just do revives. I was immediately assigned to do a kidnapping with other faction members. I don't play to do organized crimes, and I don't play to do things in a group. I protested, the person unassigned me from the crime and tried to give me time to think about it before I quit. Hours later, someone assigned me to the same crime. I couldn't get out fast enough. Not blaming the faction, but it wasn't for me.
Life [2210003]
I don't get this. It's not like you're doing a WoW raid, in OCs you're basically doing nothing. You just have to be online and that's it.

Idk that's some weird thing to hate
Taburisu [295365]
Well, to initiate OC, members must be in the city, not hosped or jailed. That can be troublesome for those who rely on flying and don't have much time to spare.
Brenn [1979397]
I just don't want to play interactively. Which is what the original poster in this thread is saying. In my case, I also don't want any commitment at all. I commit to logging on every day for my job, which is fine as I do that anyway, but I'm just not up for coordinating my activities with anyone else's. I also don't want to be the target of one faction's attacks on another faction.
CRLF [2095076]
There's lots of good feedback here on the social aspects of factions. However, you're not interested in socializing, so let's look at faction mechanics instead.

As a player in Torn, you can buy stuff with money, you can "buy" training with energy and "buy" crime experience with nerve.

In a faction, the currency is respect points. A faction converts respect points into upgrades, which are similar to the upgrades you purchase with your merit points.

A faction can gain in respect points in many ways. The chaining activity provides the fastest rate of gain, which is why it's so popular. However, there are other ways to gain respect, such as organized crimes.

In addition to respect, the faction must make certain "achievements" in order to upgrade. For example, to earn the first 1% improvement in gym gains for strength, 10,000 energy has to be spent on strength training. That's about 67 full bars. So each time a member spends some energy training in strength, it goes to that faction count until the total reaches 10,000. Then, if the faction also earned enough respect points, it can select the 1% strength gym gains improvement. Then all faction members would get an extra 1% on training strength.

There are MANY possible upgrades. Once the achievements are made, the faction lead can switch around which upgrades to use depending on what's best for the members.

This thread explains the faction upgrades: https://www.torn.com/forums.php#!p=threads&f=61&t=15995252&b=0&a=0

From a purely functional standpoint, the faction makes use of activities you would be doing anyway (like training), and is able to pool together the counts across members to provide additional perks to the members. This is why factions want members who are active. If you are online regularly and training, or doing crimes, or flying or taking drugs or alcohol or candy... pretty much any activity,,, then you are contributing to faction counts. If you are not in a faction, your "extra counts" are wasted.

Chaining is the main group activity you would be required to do. It is a faction's primary way of earning "currency" -- faction respect points. However, if you don't like social activities, you can just quietly make some attacks during the chain, based on the faction's requirements. For example, you might be required to do 40 attacks that are not muggings. If you have a mission that requires you to do several attacks, you can do those during a chain. Making the attacks is a small price to pay for the massive advantages the faction upgrades can provide -- increased gym gains, reduced drug addiction and fewer ODs, and increased items carried when flying are just a few of the specials available for a faction to earn and use.

Of course, there are many other "people" benefits to factions, as others here have mentioned. But every faction has several members who don't interact much, but quietly go about contributing to the faction by just playing the game. And even if you don't like "people" you may find a friend or two in a faction.

Mentions: Everything about faction specials

Fatbears [2197270]
There are factions out there that require next to nothing from you. So you could get the solo experience with the benefits of a faction.

Personally I couldn't imagine opting for the 10 travel slot loss and everything else I get from my faction just because I don't want to be social.
Brenn [1979397]
Wiber disliked your post.

Mr_Peace disliked your post.

Edited to add: lewiss disliked your post.

SusanBoyle disliked your post.
Aw, now I'm heartbroken, me being a Susan Boyle fan.

Wires disliked your post.

Zeifer disliked your post.


I guess some people just can't tolerate any point of view but their own.

Notice I wasn't saying everyone should skip factions. I was only saying that for those of us who prefer to play alone, it can be done. And one of the reasons I prefer to play alone is to avoid people like Wiber and Mr_Peace (who can't seem to let others live in peace).