Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

If (when) Torn shuts down

Started by Wollongong [12833] on in General Discussion.

33 replies · 890 views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 34 / 34 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
34
Discussion span
→
Authority score
56 / 100
Historical score
26 / 100
Story score
59 / 100
Engagement score
71 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Wollongong [12833]
Everything has a beginning, everything has an end. Torn is no exception.

We've seen plenty of threads about the question what you'd do when that inevitable day comes. This is not one of those!

This thread is about Ched.

I mean, think about it, he built Torn when he was still a pimple faced virgin living with his mom (*). Torn has been running for... what.... 16 years? It's older than many of its players! And all that time, he's been his own boss. It's quite well possible he never had a "real" job, you know, where you work for an incompetent boss and where half your co-workers are morons.

What would Ched do with his life when Torn dies? What can he do? Who would hire a thirty something with a resume which only states " I ran an php based game?

What could be his Plan B?

(*) I cannot guarantee that Ched is now pimplefree, nor can I guarantee he doesn't live in his mom's basement and I have no interest in finding out anything about his sexlife or lack thereof.
Evil-Duck [1182047]
If Ched is smart he has been investing some of the salary he has given himself over the years, also entrepreneurs like myself and Ched will simply find another profitable venture to focus on once the previous dies off. Multiple streams of income are key so if/when TORN dies off it'll be the loss off one stream, with multiple others to support Cheddar cheese in living his lavish lifestyle.

With a little marketing knowhow and knowledge of basic website production anyone can earn enough online to survive; Ched has proved he is above average in this field so worry not.

Worst case scenario I would partner up with the big man himself and we would make something truly spectacular

Peace
AlexeaNikkole [888237]
I have friends that created apps who have retired and the live off the interest of their money they have invested or put into the bank that collects interest. They retired by 35 .. it can happen especially if he decided to sell to a bigger gaming company
Dagrims [2007550]
At first I thought that he would start a nearly exact game from scratch, but I came to realize that once he's given up this gig there's no reTorn.
Kitty420 [383500]
I would like to think Ched does what some angry forum poster accused him of doing with the money he has made off Torn instead of putting it back into the game. The forum poster accused him of sunning in some tropical locale with an adult beverage in a coconut with one of those little drink umbrellas. I laughed so hard at that angry post.
Batman [984129]
Clearly Ched puts the money back into the game in order to release as many updates as he does. LOL JK he defs has a lot squirreled away
Kam [1329153]
Even if the worst case happens and Torn is no longer supported, Ched still has a wickedly impressive resume. He could easily get a job with his programming and management experience that hes gained from creating a million dollar game from the ground up. He will be just fine. That is assuming he doesn't have money tucked away somewhere, which is highly unlikely. I doubt he would ever work for anyone else, though. All it takes is one good idea, and he has all necessary skills to bring that idea to life.
Travalgar [2317242]
You guys are so emotionally invested in your game developer. I don't know whether this is a good or bad thing. Either way, this has been a delightful read.
_Pam_ [2235735]
When the new TORN CITY with crime 2.0 dies in a century, his grandkid will release the travel 1.1 because travel 2.0 is scheduled for another century.

Joking aside, doesn't ched still have final earth or something? The other game beside torn.
snowbeast [2173158] Moderator Official
Is their not another game Ched is working on?
I swear I registered for it, but was too much of a learning curve and quit.
Wollongong [12833]
You mean that game he started over a decade ago? I don't see that replacing Torn, as it is targeting a type of games which us saturated with better ones.
Mobb-Deep [1731104]
I doubt he would let Torn just die and shut it down. Ched would probably sell the game to a new owner and let them deal with player count related problems