Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Add a thread block feature

Started by Mary [2161411] on in Suggestions.

58 replies · 449 views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 59 / 59 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Mary [2161411]
thank you for your opnion. Yes it can be abused, but overall, it would reduce harassment and trolling, which would cause more players to use forums, and make it even more public.
CriminalElegant [1382616]
I think it would be abused. Imagine I am a trader and I scam someone, then I block them from my posting about it on my trading thread. And given the low cost of adding people to your blacklist(expanding it) as it is currently it would be worth it for a decently large scam.

Probably easier just to ignore whoever it is, or ask in tools and user-scripts if they have something for simply removing those posts from a particular person on your end only.
Sepulchrave [2092631]
It would reduce the forums to pabulum. It will never happen, anyways, no matter how many upvotes it gets, because it's a very bad idea from so many angles. (And would reduce drama, which is the lifeblood of the forums.)

It's important to measure your responses. You reacted to the 'pussy' comment with fury, and gave your enemy a fistful of ammunition.

stoic
adjective


sto·â€‹ic | \ ˈstō-ik \


variants: or stoical \ ˈstō-​i-​kəl \



1 capitalized : of, relating to, or resembling the Stoics or their doctrines Stoic logic

2: not affected by or showing passion or feeling especially : firmly restraining response to pain or distress


Nobody [237547]
Although it indeed sounds nice, this is too close to censorship in my eyes. Opens up to too much trolling. Someone could post a bashing thread about a scammer/noob/whatever and block the person. If anything, I think the staff could be more lenient on deleting posts requested by the thread owner. Not that I have ever reported a post because I dislike it, I just use the downvote button.
Mary [2161411]
I agree, staff could handle it. the problem is, while the player base is rapidly growing, staff isnt, so staff is too overworked.

Edit: thats why i want this, so that players can help be part of the solution, and ease the load on staff
poptop [1355657]
I think you are mistaking a decision to not edit something you wanted edited, with staff not doing their job.

People who have been on the forums have watched the drama pendulum swing back and forward. Where there is a no-drama policy, the forums may as well get ripped up for a bowling alley. Where there is a very hands-off moderation approach - things go beyond game relevant drama and become quite unpleasant.

When Ched discussed this some time back, he indicated he was pro there being some rough and tumble in the game, but with limits. I will see if I can find a link to his post and add it here.
Mary [2161411]
that may be, but there could be more restriction. People can still have rough and tumble, but they can control where and how it happens, so that it doesnt happen on say, a recruitment thread, or get out of hand
Mlkey [1915577]
max goal for this game seem'to be faction jumping and trolling people in forms .The best thing to do is to ignore him as best as you can
The-Wiz [1870366]
"I would also note that a mention of a feline is, at best, low level trolling - It is difficult to view it as a substantive statement intending to sexually harass. "

from poptart. This is what bothers me about this whole debacle. We are about to start an entire Torn me-to movement based on a nothing burger.
T-Stark [2086654]
If you’ve blocked and ignored someone, if they try and bypass that they get to deal with staff for breaking Torn rules. Forum thread blocking could be endlessly abused. Not only that, but it would be a nightmare for staff, as they’d then have to sort through duplicate, triplicate etc threads to determine who is blocked by whom so they can delete superfluous threads, or leave up a dozen identical threads because they’ve all blocked each other.

shortsighted and egocentric idea based on response to a situation you could easily have avoided. R-

Edit: I believe scripts used to exist that would allow you to simply not see a persons posts. Why not utilize this instead.
MeanMike [1884314]
Yeah, when I first saw this, I rated it up and was like "hmm, thatd be cool", well, because i have the same group of haters that are gonna roast the shit outta me, derail my thread, and do all they can to shit on me and anything I post, no matter what I put out there. (I know, hard to believe, huh ? lol) Preventing them from doing so would greatly assist me in discussing things or offering up opinions on different topics... So yeah, that part is kickass

However...

I'm with Pop, as disappointing and uncool as Maxxs reference was, i wouldnt exactly call it harassment. Hell, I've had my RL brought into this game, shit talked about my daughter, terrible comments about my recently deceased wife.. all kinds of shit, and ya know how many people got warned or fedded? Zero.

Harassment is totally up to staffs discretion, and Maxx isnt in fed, well, because that didnt qualify in their opinion, or mine really, as dickish as it was for him to say it.

I think you're on the right path though, and with the proper parameters set in place, ya might have something here. There is always gonna be that 1, 2, 7 people that ya just dont wanna hear what they have to say when youre trying to seriously discuss something, because you know they are just there to shit on you. But, here is the thing ..

Thats the risk you take by coming on the forums. There are just too many different people and personalities for everyone to be on board with what ya say here or do in the game, and you can bet your bottom dollar, at some point, someone is going to say something shitty to you. It sucks , but its true. I get totally destroyed here upon occasion, but its usually by the same small group of haters that get lucky once in a while, so I laugh it off, but if it really bothered me, id stay the hell away from the forums... because who wants to get dissed, especially in front of everyone?

Its a little different for me, because i have one of the very best karma ratios in the game, so my haters are obviously a minority, and it makes it way easier to just laugh when they diss me, but you can have the same thick skin, because the trolls are real.. or you can take a little hiatus from the forums until you establish yourself in the game a little more, or you could just skip the forums altogether.

These are options you may want to consider, because as nifty as the concept of your suggestion is, I dont see it being implemented without more detail and tweaking put into it. But I will say this... You're a good young player and you're doing well at making a name for yourself in the game... put yourself above stupid comments from people like Maxx and dont let shit like this jam you up on your way to the top. Your remarks to him wishing death on his family and him were really the only bad thing I've seen from you in this game. Dont let people drag you down to their level, and you'll be just fine.

Best of luck! :-)
Rum4nyby [1567187]
Definitely this, not the idea OP suggested. Cover it up for you only if you don’t wanna see them post. Not just outright block them from posting, that can cause so many different issues.
Rum4nyby [1567187]
Sorry to hear about the deceased wife, that’s actually rough. What twat made a joke of that? Try and keep this stuff private buddy so no haters can rub salt in any wound like that.
Mary [2161411]
I do think this is a solution, but it doesnt fix a problem. just because you cant see people badmouthing you doesnt mean it isnt happening
Plague_Doctor [1083237]
I love seeing Mary (at this point I wanna call her Karen) constantly going back to "Yeah that's a valid point BUT STILL..."

Instead of demanding everyone else to be all accommodating and sensitive, just get the hell over yourself already and move on. You're not getting your little censorship shtick through.

We have had trolls and pricks here for 10+ years and even though it's 2019 and everything is about forced politeness nowadays, the fact we allow people to be rude to each other here means we still have some freedom of speech and left. How about you learn to deal with it just like everyone else does instead of demanding everyone also to deal with it for you already?
Every reply I'm seeing is boiled down to "Yeah, but I still want it" no matter stupid this whole idea is. It's a no, grow some decent pair of lady balls and go smack a shmuck next time when they bother you, don't cry about it.

... people are so damn soft today, it's pathetic.