Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Script Spy?

Started by Chit [1380260] on in General Discussion.

806 replies · 14.8k views · thread synced · 6 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 807 / 807 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Twitter [2309219]
Wondering if using info from committee chat to one's own advantage is feddable?

If not, I need an R* member to write me a script please.

But seriously, how hard is it to make a rule that scripts pulling chat logs are only legal IF the chat logs are publicly displayed, i.e. trade, global?
SVD_NL [2363978]
From the torn help page, under API-->Acceptable Use:
"You must keep keys, and the data obtained from them, securely protected and confidential unless permitted by the key owner. By accepting other user's keys, they are placing their trust in you - do not exploit this. We will permanently ban offending applications from accessing the API at a moment's notice."

There is however, no clear text saying that they are only allowed to pull the information they say they will.
I think that sharing the chats obtained breaks this rule however.
Prodigy [269095]
The script basically allows filtering potential targets for the elimination tournament and is created by one of our (keyboard warriors) members.

The script also apparently allows the creator to tap into the chats of the users which is useless since he/she would already have the "keyboards warriors" chat. However, if other teams want to steal the script, it's their responsibility as it is also for any member of keyboards warriors.

Ultimately, we bare the consequence of downloading third party content, script or whatever. The script was clearly made only for "keyboard warriors" as it states in its description and other people wanted to be smart-asses and steal it.

In my opinion it doesn't seem legal but it is the fault of people who installed it.

P.S.: I am a "keyboard warriors" member who didn't install it because I don't actually know who's behind it, and hence if it's trustworthy or not.
Beerstein [1322136]
All I can say is Bogie/Torn 100% deserve it when a committee member, or worse, staff gets 100% of internal info leaked by an allowed script because "shouldn't have downloaded it"

Their stance is absolutely asinine. It's time to vet and approve certain scripts, and any that break rules/vetting shouldn't be officially supported.
Migs [2166018]
I thought whatever happens on Discord can't be punished in Torn? While the API is taken in Torn, the part that is deemed to be breaking the rules is occurring on Discord? While I do agree it isn't fair, thought cant be punished. If my understanding is wrong please do correct me.


Although if this is true, the Keyboard Warriors are living up to their name lol.
PrincessJulie [11229] Admin Staff
What Chit posted is true.

We have a script that was made for keyboard warriors. It was posted in our team forum, and part of the script enabled us to mirror our own chat so that the leaders and council could see if anyone had any problems after they had scrolled out of the limited chat box. At first, this is all I thought it would do, until new channels with other team names started spawning. At first they were all empty, so I didn't think anything of it, I just assumed someone was adding them.

Eventually content started springing up in them, and I asked the creator of the script what was happening. It seems like when members of other teams downloaded the script, it started mirroring them as well (sorry if this doesn't sound right, I'm not a scripter or IT whiz). At first I was a bit uneasy about it, but against my better judgement I let it continue. I sent the script to IceBlueFire, who is the script guy on staff, and he seemed fine with it.

Someone brought into question the legality of the script to me, at which time I deleted all the channels until I could speak with bogie and IceBlueFire further. The channels were down for approximately two days until bogie confirmed with me what is in those screenshots. The script was legal, and our team has always been working as a democracy, and it seemed like the majority wanted them back.

I apologize on behalf of all of us to everyone who feels violated by this. There was only a limited number of people who were aware of this and were able to read the channels. I am currently working on having that portion of the script disabled (again, not an IT person) and the new server that was created deleted (I am not the owner or admin of it).

Edit: the server is gone and an update pushed for the script that removes this capability.
Stretch [1846075] Officer Officer
There is data passed from YOUR secure account unknowingly to a THIRD PARTY. Now if this was actually on your pc, your antivirus/antispyware would be going apeshit. As consider your bank credentials, your passwords etc.

This one here, 100% disagree with what has transpired, cannot be behind it and find it reprehensible
Beerstein [1322136]
I appreciate you doing something despite admins not caring. This sets a horrible precedence, I know it's not your fault though, so thank you for having better judgement than your bosses.