There are many scripts out there currently a lot of which are useful/helpful. However there are also scripts out there that are malicious/harmful just like a virus.
I would therefore like to see Torn do similar to what Steam does for mods in the fact that they create a "Scripts" section on Torn where you can access all the vetted and trustworthy scripts hosted by Torn itself.
In order to get your script hosted by Torn you would have to submit it for review. If accepted it would be then hosted on Torn under "Scripts". Any updates needed to be done to your script would then also have to be submitted for review, before it would be updated on Torn and a "change log" added.
This would really benefit and protect the community as a whole and would take the worry out of using scripts to help enhance your Torn experience.
I agree with this suggestion.
I agree up to a point.
This could create a load of work for the powers-that-be that they're not equipped to handle. Maybe the scripts could be subject to peer review and comment?
All sounds good, but Torn doesn`t have such human resources to be able to do that. They can`t do a proper review and debugging for them code :D
They can always hire or outsource this. It's really not hard and is practical. If Valve can do it with their "Steam" platform I see no reason why Torn cannot.
Steam Earned an Estimated $4.3B in 2017
and how much torn earn? :D
That is the main reason :D
You mailed me and asked me my opinion on this and asked me to upvote it but apparently didn't want to see my reply.
However, yes I do use Steam and we should be able to use scripts without worrying that people are coding spyware and viruses into them. The only issue is that Torn itself half the time can't tell when a script is being used so it would have to be based on an honesty system and after the most recent scandal I don't know that we can trust people to be honest.
They would have to be vetted again every time they were updated. This could mean if Torn released an update which stopped a script working, then the script creator would need to update, upload to torn, then wait for it to be vetted which could mean a script could be made useless for days to weeks, for competition scripts you could miss the competition entirely depending on how fast scripts are vetted
And if they get the official torn seal then people are going to be reporting bugs to torn admins, if there were lots of bugs would they lose the seal of approval?
What if a script gets the seal of approval, then it turns out that it in fact was malicious after all, then should the admins be responsible for any damage it causes? Example: if the recent subject of drama chat spy script was ok'd by torn admins, would they have to compensate the teams which were victim of the script?
this also means that Torn staff could block scripts if they don't like some part of it even if it isn't against the rules for example they could block DoctorN because they don't want a script which can automatically detect city finds, or CT script because automatic CT finds.
I don't think they would do the things I mentioned above because city finds has been a part of doctorn for so long but if doctorn was a brand new script and no one had ever did it before then they could in theory block it( and let's be honest.. they would) then people would still be getting their scripts elsewhere just like they are now
I did want to see your reply. Thank you for your input!
Why did you block me then, haha xD No problem though :D
That was back when I was testing to see who originally anon-messaged me and you were the last one to block PMs with me xD. All figured out and no longer need to block, so it's removed. Please unblock me also? :D
.
You're not on my block list, I had never added you :(. I don't think you can anonymous message people who you've blocked
All good now. Glad to have sorted this all out. :)