Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Past/Future Advice

Started by Archiere [2413636] on in General Discussion.

28 replies · 632 views · thread synced · 11 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 29 / 29 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
29
Discussion span
→
Authority score
38 / 100
Historical score
32 / 100
Story score
59 / 100
Engagement score
68 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Archiere [2413636]
Hey everybody!
I'm new to Torn and was wondering:

If you could give any starting advice to your past self, what would it be and why?
Or if you could change how you played things up to this point?

Thanks!
NumerableRED01 [2236401]
1.) I would definitely tell my past self to stay out of chat (I never begged or anything, but if u r a lower level and someone can attack you....they will)

2.) I would have kept most of my stuff for when i could afford a Bazaar, then put it all in.

3.) I wouldn't have kept all my money on me. (you can put money in the Torn bank, overseas Bank in the Cayman islands, faction bank and/or Company bank. I'd personally recommend Cayman islands bc of the high interest rate ;)
and even earn some interest from it, you can buy points then sell them later on sometimes even earning money, you can even buy stocks low and sell them high while also protecting your money)

4.) I would've tried to find a good trustworthy trader early on (Im a trustworthy trader ;) also Wilinator is another good trader, that's the one I use tell him I sent u if u ever go to him ;))

5.) Train in the gym to build stats and level up faster
Preferably starting off with basic candy jumps. (Natural E, enough candy to fill your booster cooldown, and then pop an xtc then train ;) )

6.) Do some of the first couple crimes 1000+ times before doing the other harder ones. Stick to This Crime Guide by Baldr by doing safe crimes.

7.) Strive to reach level 15 to unlock the travel agency so you can really make some good money by traveling somewhere, buying some cheap items and selling them back in torn for higher prices.

8.) Find a good faction that will help new players learn, get settled in and play the game! This is a huge advantage of you find one that fits you. Most offer a TON of stuff but require you to chain with them which is a GREAT way to level up, and see your training in action!

9.) Find a good company that will pick u up and train you and help as much as possible. Some companies may not pay, look at the company perks before you get mad bc of no pay. Some perks make up for it trust me!

10.) Really pay attention to the educations and see what benefits you can get and which ones would benefit u the most and support your play style the most

11.) Find someone or some players that you can add to your friends list and talk to and ask them for help and all that. Feel free to message me and/or add me on your friends list for advice/trading

12.) Surf Surf Surf and Surf a little more in the forums, you'll find a ton of info there, that has helped me a whole lot!!!

13.) Join companies and build your work stats before trying to complete the city jobs (well worth the wait bc you can gain sttas faster and then complete city jobs faster) I'd recommend medical, education, and law. If you plan on being inactive for a long time join the army and when u come back build that defense up

I hope all this helps, I'm still fairly new but these are some of the things I wished I knew then, now I see how it could effected me better in the future if I knew this stuff.

MADE 10/30/19
UPDATED 2/16/2020

Mentions: Baldr's Basic Advice

Meta [1281130]
Never had a Tutorials/Guides section when I started. There is a ton of helpful info there so give them all a read
NumerableRED01 [2236401]
Anytime man! Thanks there tons more tips that he can get, especially from the veteran Torn players, but over the last 270 some day or however old I am on here, this are definitely things I would've wanted to have been told lol
Shavedarmpit [2360543]
Go to gym as much as you can.
Spent merits wisely
Stay out of the chats
Save up for a bazaar and sell things by yourself to adjust the prices. Have another tab open so you can quickly Ghost trade.
Never keep money on yourself
Stay away from certain players for sure. Sometimes even "Hello" is enough to get them triggered.
GrimRazor [1776608]
Uhh yessir know UR role and shut UR mouth or find your candy @$$ handed to ya and in the award position of bending the knee.Rant over SuPeRWoN has spoke and graced you with his presence...let PwNing of TeH n00b begin...on your mark,get set...G0!GrimRazor 0ver & 0ut.
DedeSiregar [2430598]
Go to the gym, it takes money to make more money, and it's never about how much I make but more about how I spend my income.


Ps: wrong forum place to post this. Should be Q&A or general. I prefer general so this post may drown the silly posts.
Andyman [471591]
"Focus on self-busting, don't whore defense because one day dexterity becomes extremely powerful due to having no counter and stacking with tyrosine/flash/Tactical light, all those medical job points you spend on life become worthless, play blackjack with card-counting software, get in a law firm when companies are released and go wild with busting to get on a PA team before busting CE gets nerfed; when you lead your first PA get a job in a TV network and bump up your racing skill with the +1.0 ten-star special, keep an eye on LeafsGirl's inactive account and send a rose to PrincessJulie when she returns, win TornoftheDead survivor merit by flying to Hawaii and going inactive for a few weeks, buy and hold PRN, focus on mugging/money whenever you have time to play, just ignore Ishtar from the start, don't try to win Torn Facebook competitions you'll just dox yourself and get creepy pms from horny Torn chicks, enjoy Halloween Town while it lasts, introduce Torn to WordClouds earlier, don't bother buying BAG until special ammo gets buffed, liquidate loot drops immediately, and don't bother stacking for the 2020 Valentines Day contest it'll be too laggy to roll boosters."
Candi_ [914753]
Would i have done anything different? Yes as the powers of hindsight are fantastic. Would probably have made just as many mistakes though.