Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Dog tags helper script

Started by cooksie [2152172] on in Tools & Userscripts.

26 replies · 2.71k views · thread synced · 10 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 27 / 27 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
27
Discussion span
→
Authority score
58 / 100
Historical score
35 / 100
Story score
53 / 100
Engagement score
75 / 100

People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.

Most-liked replies

Mentioned in this thread

phLOx [451848] ×2

cooksie [2152172]
FYI this script is most likely broken now, I unfortunately can't promise that I'll have time IRL to dedicate to fixing it so for now I'd set your expectations that it won't work.

So I'm not participating in dog tags after getting the merits last year, but a friend requested a script that would allow them to more easily view if somebody is an appropriate dog tag target in particular on mobile where tapping through graphs is a bit of a pain. So, I knocked this script together. As far as I can find, it's the first of it's kind? I've not seen a script that does this same thing before, as the data is quite difficult to locate.

It will add a link next to the username of each player's profile. Clicking this link takes you directly to the personal stats page with the 'defends lost' stat selected, and it will then display a message to show if they're a valid or invalid target (valid = has not lost a defend since event started, invalid = has lost a defend since event started).

It's a little janky but it works for the most part, and while I'm not particularly proud o the code, I'm happy I was able to get it working since there was no way to read any data from the graph and on first glance, that's the only place the data seemed to exist :) Tested in Chrome desktop and Kiwi on Android. There seems to be an issue on Firefox, the script just doesn't run at all. Possibly CSP? I'll look into it when I have time.

Anyway, here it is, if you have any issues with it or any feedback, please chat me :)

https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/392252-dog-tag-helper

Visual example in this post; https://www.torn.com/forums.php#/p=threads&f=67&t=16128175&b=0&a=0&start=0&to=19793552

Mentions: Dog tags helper script

Xeretrax [2039020]
if anything i would make it based on recent attacks not on recent defeats

any1 can have defeats, totally useless stat for this competition

but if people have no recent attacks it stands to reason they dont have any tags to steal either since they didnt attack to get any to begin with
cooksie [2152172]
What? No. You are incorrect. Every player is given 1 tag. If they have no defends lost since the competition start, they have at least 1 tag remaining.
Xeretrax [2039020]
True but you would be looking at 1 tag only
If people made a bunch of attacks starting x date it still makes sense they took some from others, you could possibly steal more then 1 tag from them then
cooksie [2152172]
Again, no. If you're not comparing their defends lost, then they could also have lost all of this tags they gained in your scenario. So that comparison alone is completely pointless.

However, comparing defends lost is the closest you can get to a guarantee that you will receive a tag.
Xiphias [187717]
This script is borderline illegal because you automatically trigger defends lost upon opening the stats page. But since you are only adding the parameters to the original personalstats url and the user has to manually open the link I wonder if it's the same as automatically triggering an action.

Any staff care to comment?
cooksie [2152172]
I think you've misunderstood how this works. It doesn't trigger or automate anything at all. It adds a link which has a URL which opens a specific section of the page. Nothing is automated whatsoever and this is exactly the same as adding a link to the crimes page, for example. Are Doctorn's quick links illegal? For example, the OC link that Doctorn can add, which opens a specific section of the faction page. Illegal?

I'd be happy to hear from staff on this for confirmation though if needed, but I'm quite confident that this position is correct.
DeKleineKobini [2114440] Committee Committee
As someone who has made some borderline illegal scripts, I can say that this script is completely allowed.

It does not do any automated action, it does not read any data except from the loaded page and it does not do something that it didn't say it does.
Blunt [2076337]
By this time in the comp, inactive targets that havent been hit are kinda scarce without RLLY looking for them.

Should just tell your friend to target 14 day olds exactly at the reset of day. Especially the ones who joined the game, then left fairly quickly. It stands to reason, that it's highly likely they havent been hit, and that they will still have that tag.

Just gotta get to them quick before the other scavengers do!
cooksie [2152172]
New players can have their tags stolen by other new players. So the defends lost count is still the figure to rely on.
Xiphias [187717]
Yeah I read the code and I also mentioned this in my reply that this is how it works. The question is whether it is allowed to create urls like this.The rules are so unclear and keep changing that I don't know anymore what is and isn't allowed.

If I remember correctly in the old casino it was possible to create urls to directly place bets or spin the slots with a specific money input. The user still had to manually load the url (either with the click of a button, or just page refresh). This was deemed illegal, which is why I am wondering if your script is allowed.
cooksie [2152172]
It sounds like the difference there is 'creating' the URLs? As in, perhaps they weren't supposed to exist at all in the casino and abused open query parameters or something. I didn't create the URL, it's visible in your address bar when you manually go through this progress, it's not a hidden system. It'd be exactly the same as going through the manual progress of navigating to the page, copying the URL into a new tab and calling that illegal.

Anyway I asked IceBlueFire to take a look when he's available to determine the legality so I'm hoping that will provide some clarity, but I'm not concerned about this being an issue. Thanks for expanding on your question though, I guess it's clearer now based on the historical context.

edit: confirmed this is not illegal.
cooksie [2152172]
v1.3.0 released, this is just some visual changes to help the script become a bit less intrusive to normal Torn experience. A new profile button is added with a dog tag icon so you can click from the normal profile actions area, and new icons were added to make it clearer at a glance whether a target is valid or invalid. Any issues please let me know. v1.4.0 releasing later hopefully which will include a few bug fixes and some refactoring to improve the code itself. Shoutout to phLOx [451848] for all of these icons.

Profile button:
[image: i.imgur.com]

Valid/invalid target indicators:
[image: i.imgur.com]

[image: i.imgur.com]



edit: v1.3.1 released to fix a bug where tag icons were showing on other pages.

Mentions: phLOx [451848]

cooksie [2152172]
Then you probably don't have the script installed. Can you confirm it's showing up in your list of installed scripts in your userscript manager? If so, chat me, we'll attempt to debug the issue.