Have ya ever thought about the day ya found Torn??
Kinda weird to me...Im 52 and a restart from 10 years back, my kids got me interested back when people actually knew who Quacks was... enough of that crap though.
I had an interesting moment today that made me ask myself “ What the hell ever brought me to this extremely unwelcoming community, and even more so why did i stay.
It became obvious to me today that sometimes people are brought together on the least of obvious platforms and make life altering comments to each other without knowing the power of their very own words.
Yes this is a game of power and pure self worth... But look around you today and ask yourself..
What brought you here... why did ya stay??
Your worst of torn enemies really that bad??
Take a minute and tell even the ones on your diehard bounty list “ Merry Christmas!!”
You may be the only companionship that person knows, your abuse may be the only interaction they have which is why they keep coming back.
Today..... I know why im here.
I hope everyone can take a minute and be thankful for everyone they met here.
Merry Christmas Everyone!!
This is nice and makes a good point. Happy holidays everyone
Merry Christmas, sweety.
I'm a 12 year old in a 57 year old body. I am currently here to cuck DUDE. Collete thinks I'm a terrorist.
I was working at home and whining about being bored to a friend and he found this game for me. I tried attacking someone and they kept me hosped 24/7 for a week and I quit. I kept in touch with friends I made during my 2 months, in IRC. They eventually convinced me to come back and I've been here ever since.
I've annoyed all the people I meet, but some eventually fall in love with me. DUDE will eventually realize the love he has for me and change her name.
I was working a few days during Christmas week 4 years ago, willing it to wrap up so I could join my family who were already on vacation. Wanted something engaging to pass the time. Never knew how cool it would be. Thanks for sharing!
In the high school library watching a friend play. I always gave him shit playing a text game, and he got me to sign up and marry him to get me a solid start in a ranch! Back when the 700 happy or so was actually an accomplishment. I have since outlasted him, and referred some other friends that didn’t stick it out. Text based definitely only interesting to certain people.
My bestfriend (my spouse in torn) n i met in other game. For years we always spend time together playing that game. Then the game developer died n we kindda lost our "home".
I played other games but my bestfriend didn't. I thought he was still sad about the game developer died so I played that other game alone. One day I began to really miss my bestfriend. I asked what he was doing. He told me he was playing torn and made me sign up just so he could have a spouse. Thought it was a simple game so I was not interested. Just randomly clicking once a day. Few days later I got in jail and a dude bailed me. I thanked him via message and he gave me balder guide. Read it few times because it was confusing but I started to change my opinion about "simple game". Since then I am playing
So a long time ago in a far away land... I played a game
called dope wars... when dope wars was ending , tiller brickman, Jesse, said we should try this new game and 99% of the dope wars players in our group joined up... I rage quit on and off, along w moved states, got married, had kid, but what really drew me back was elim in 2018. I met some really great people who made me love torn again (you know who you are)...
Merry christmas hun!!!!!
Elim4win
It both kept me playing and made me quit last year.
I do have a love hate relationship with elimination also. Though I was very proud I was 2nd hitter for our team. And finally got top 5%.
I was playing another hard code text based game tribalwars. I went on a public internet cafe and there was this guy sitting next to me. I saw him play Torn. I got curious and signed up for an account 3 yrs ago but could not commit since tw takes too much of my time too. Here I am this year got spare time and thought I might rediscover Torn. Luckily, I quickly found people who helped me with the ropes of the game.
I didn't know anyone when I started but glad I made friends in my faction. I am happy to be here. Happy Holidays!
I was bored whilst revising, and looking for games. Wasn't the first time I'd seen it advertised on the particular website, had been there before but I don't usually go to the trouble of making accounts. Second time round, I was even more bored and made an account thinking, why not, I can just delete if I don't like it.
Got recruited into a faction family on my first day and been there since.
Love the game and love the people here.
A couple of my friends brought me into the game. My first thought was "heh laaaaame ass text game, not going to sucker me into that bullshit" then I made plans to move months later and joined to use this as a platform to keep in touch.
They quit, but we play other games. I stayed because its a game that only takes as much time to play as you want to give. There's not only one way to play. If i want to change up my style i just reset my merits and boom a totally different set up. It is stable and repetitive but with the ever changing landscape of the player base it keeps me interested.
If this game goes under it will be hard to find a replacement.
Saw my brother playing and he was getting kicked on the ground by someone called "foxeh" decided to join up, but because I was a lowly apprentice - I had hardly any time to play so gave up. Now I have more free time to play. Plus my faction keeps me interested. Big thanks to those people. :)
Nice accomplishments. You must not have been on my team because I'd remember top hitters.
I literally found Torn from searching Text-based games. Didn't know that such a game existed until know.
My friend told me about this game, I became interested even when it was the very simple basic layout back then, my username was citybitch, but had a butt hurt staff that is no longer staff fed me for having that name, went through so much to explain that bitch technically was not a swear word in a dictionary, this game was torncity at the time, and it's a crime game swear words is going to pop up. I even asked her what her problem was when hundreds and hundreds of other users used drastic swear words than what I did, after being fed for that bullshit over a name. I refused to ever login it took me 4 years to finally come back after I was told the staff who fed me was no longer staff here. I have played other text based games ran on same engine after learning about this one, then I got into coding to learn how text based games work. This game is still the best out of all the others that's why I play.
This thread made me smile. Might be the last GD thread in years that I read that'll do this :)
A friend of mine kept bringing it up, at first, when he said "Text based rpg" I imagined something totally different.
One day I caved, made an account and it BLEW my mind. Haven't been able to put it down since. I wish I found it years ago when I was looking for a decent game that I could play on mobile without getting gouged by microtransactions.
Typed in google best games to play at work and Torn was 3rd or 4th on the list.
School, as most games was blocked by our school internet but not this one.