85 replies · 1.38k views · thread synced · 5 days ago
· View on torn.com
About this thread
Posts archived:86 / 86 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
Archived posts
86
Discussion span
→
Authority score
63 / 100
Historical score
39 / 100
Story score
64 / 100
Engagement score
79 / 100
People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.
Most-liked replies
Chedburn[1]Admin
· 31 likes · Yep I don't think we could have just left CT in that state forever. The idea was to create the tools necessary, and then pass everything over to the community. This year already I've seen a couple of really fantastic …
AlexeaNikkole[888237]
· 27 likes · If damn keys would drop the world would be in a better place lol
Dekloren[900534]
· 19 likes · No one cares about pictures. Christmas Town has always been about loot. Only people as or more depressing than you two would spend hours, not only searching stupid maps that do not give anything different than any other map, but …
Ched spent god knows how many hours of developer time, so we as players can create C-Town maps.
What do most of us do? Install item highlight scripts and run circles around simple loot maps.
Honestly, I would have been 100% OK with the same default ched-created Christmas town. This year actually feels like a downgrade, yet it took so much time and programming to bring us to this point.
Yes, I know I can play on the ~3 maps that people actually put work into... but let's be honest; we all just want some free cans.
Tbh I think after the first year it would just loose its charm anyway
First year it was a new map, new design, little secrets hidden throughout like quotes and a teleport for a new year's party
After the first year it's kinda done tho unless they brought back quests with little story missions with unique rewards etc
I do like the idea of players being able to created maps, creating there own story in there own little Christmas town with unique quests and quotes from players
It's a shame that it's mainly just revolved around loot maps but I feel like players are just getting to grips with the designing system so at least making a loot map can teach you how to make things even if it is just a circle with loot spawns
Hopefully next year players might get a little bit more creative and make some sort of story to there maps I haven't really looked at most of them so for all I know there is one
Players can now go back and think of a design and story line for a map, they've gotten to grips with the tools and seen how they are limited with that knowledge they can now go off and great and amazing map with unique little things here and there
This year is a test run so I'm hopeful that next year will be even better and our creative members will get to show what they can really do
TL;DR
This year was a practice run for the tools and features, next year members will hopefully be more creative and have even more fun with the tools/ map design and story
I think user created maps is a step in the right direction
Since it was open for creators for only a month or so, I think that this year is expected to be kind of a flop, much cooler stuff should appear next year
I've personally been working on a map that I think is pretty cool, but only finished it about half way through so can't publish it this year lol
I honestly liked the CT that was there 2 years ago, actually enjoyed doing the stories and whatnot. now I don't even like the way my character moves. too slow. I just use the scripts and iribuya's maps for free cans and stuff.
Yep I don't think we could have just left CT in that state forever. The idea was to create the tools necessary, and then pass everything over to the community. This year already I've seen a couple of really fantastic maps, next year I can only imagine what'll be created with the tools provided, with some of the most creative people in Torn.
I'm just exceptionally happy to finally complete this project once and for all. That's always been the aim, get it done and move on. This was the third and final stage of the CT project. There's a few bug fixes / minor future updates / mini-games required in the future, but that's it now. CT can now pretty much last into the future with minimal work from us, while everything remains fresh each year with new community made maps.
There will always be people who just run around in circles on loot maps - even when they'd receive the same amount of loot on the creative maps (or actually more due to the way certain loot maps have been made), or use scripts to bypass the mini-games e.t.c. CT wasn't really made for those people, but it's been made very clear in the past by the community that CT is not something we're allowed to abandon - we had to do this - but I'm so glad it's finally done.
Maybe next year make basic requirements for the maps and make them only able to be released by devs when they meet the requirements + not able to be edited once started?
Its incredibly frustrating and disappointing to see our map that we worked really hard on bypassed because of maps that where people spend three minutes on to collect loot and leave.
No one cares about pictures. Christmas Town has always been about loot. Only people as or more depressing than you two would spend hours, not only searching stupid maps that do not give anything different than any other map, but also creating them.
I guess when you have nothing to do in the game, or in life, spending countless hours on a useless feature gives you something to do while in the hospital, and lets you think you've accomplished something.
And we've gotten a lot of positive feedback from the people who have bothered to explore.
Of course people are going to use the loot maps if that's an option - we thought they'd get bored of those eventually and actually want to play something instead of just picking up free stuff.
I guess, it must be something to do with how males and females are different, if you think the things you listed offer anything more than any other map, other than a bigger waste of time.