Anyone ever dipped or smoked for a long time and gotten off? Been dipping for a long time and really want to quit. Any tip, advice helps.
Getting off nicotine
Started by BAMF [483185] on in General Non-related.
About this thread
Posts archived: 41 / 41 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
- Archived posts
- 41
- Discussion span
- →
- Authority score
- 21 / 100
- Historical score
- 22 / 100
- Story score
- 48 / 100
- Engagement score
- 66 / 100
People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.
Most-liked replies
- Sweeney_Todd [27468]
· 2 likes ·
You think vaping is better? Do you not read the news? You are ingesting chemicals into your lungs, un proved chemicals... I'd prefer tabacco... - pskov [2456317]
· 2 likes ·
Jesus christ. Regular e-liquid contains Glycerine - which has been used in vapor form in medicine, we know that's safe. Propylene Glycol - is used in food and pharmaceutical manufacturing, also safe. Water. Those are the 3 ingredients for e-liquid. … - Anon [1771528]
· 1 likes ·
It all comes down to opinion, the way I see it is i'd rather have my lungs looking like the one on the right oppose to the left. https://prnt.sc/r0ztkn Anything we ingest has chemicals. Tobacco is less healthier than vaping, …
I wish I could but I'm in the same boat. Though I'm going to give another try with the birth of my son. I hope that such an event can keep me clean.
Never dipped but used to smoke like a chimney. I've gotten completely off cigarettes just through replacing the habit with something else. But to be honest I still smoke, I'll have a cigar or pipe occasionally, I just reaaally enjoy tobacco lmao but haven't had a cigarette in years.
Try to keep an eye on when you're dipping, have you built a routine around it? I used to smoke first thing in the morning for example and that one was the hardest to kick but the main thing is trying to replace the habit, for me, I began to work out really heavily, maybe for dipping you need that feeling of something in your lip, try gum or something? After a few weeks, the chemical addiction isn't that strong anymore, you just gotta power through the first phase.
Try to keep an eye on when you're dipping, have you built a routine around it? I used to smoke first thing in the morning for example and that one was the hardest to kick but the main thing is trying to replace the habit, for me, I began to work out really heavily, maybe for dipping you need that feeling of something in your lip, try gum or something? After a few weeks, the chemical addiction isn't that strong anymore, you just gotta power through the first phase.
Ya, for me it was 20 years ago. I just stopped at age 35. On occasion for a week or two, I may have slipped and had one, but I just kept at it.
Capgros, don't wait for his birth, as you are impacting him now in several ways directly and indirectly. You need to be in top form to be a good parent. The cost, the debilitating impacts, etc.
Every time you fell like having a smoke, just log into Torn, and tell me to "f**k off".
:)
Every time you fell like having a smoke, just log into Torn, and tell me to "f**k off".
:)
No fair, I've already cut down...
I vape now, it isn't cool but it's better than the shit I used to smoke lool
You think vaping is better? Do you not read the news?
You are ingesting chemicals into your lungs, un proved chemicals...
I'd prefer tabacco...
You are ingesting chemicals into your lungs, un proved chemicals...
I'd prefer tabacco...
It all comes down to opinion, the way I see it is i'd rather have my lungs looking like the one on the right oppose to the left.
https://prnt.sc/r0ztkn
Anything we ingest has chemicals.
Tobacco is less healthier than vaping, compare deaths linked to tobacco to vaping, the contrast is huge.
Don't believe everything you see/hear.
https://prnt.sc/r0ztkn
Anything we ingest has chemicals.
Tobacco is less healthier than vaping, compare deaths linked to tobacco to vaping, the contrast is huge.
Don't believe everything you see/hear.
That is not really known yet, and people died already from vaping, and much faster than tobacco kills.
That doesn't mean all vaping products are as bad, but you are taking a risk and you might use a product that is actually worse than tobacco.
And to compare deaths, well people smoke much longer than they vape, and also more people smoke so of course general numbers indicate more people die of tobacco than of vaping, but that still doesn't say anything
Also "less healthier" is the wrong way to look at it, it would be "less damaging" lol.
Bottom line is, it's better to do none of them.
That doesn't mean all vaping products are as bad, but you are taking a risk and you might use a product that is actually worse than tobacco.
And to compare deaths, well people smoke much longer than they vape, and also more people smoke so of course general numbers indicate more people die of tobacco than of vaping, but that still doesn't say anything
Also "less healthier" is the wrong way to look at it, it would be "less damaging" lol.
Bottom line is, it's better to do none of them.
The vaping deaths are a result of people vaping THC oil cartridges and randomly sourced ones from the internet which is like buying something from those late night infomercials, you know it's going to be some dodgy bullshit.
The FDA and other health departments have narrowed down the cause to very likely be vitamin E acetate in the THC oil cartridges, which doesn't exist in regular vapes.
It has absolutely nothing to do with regular vapes and e-liquids.
The FDA and other health departments have narrowed down the cause to very likely be vitamin E acetate in the THC oil cartridges, which doesn't exist in regular vapes.
It has absolutely nothing to do with regular vapes and e-liquids.
why dont you just breath fresh air?
It's still taking a risk since the vaping industry is a "cowboy" market at this moment in time. Also there has been very little research on this market.
"Though much of the evidence points to THC, health officials say that does not mean nicotine vaping can be considered safe.
“While it appears that vitamin E acetate is associated with Evali, there are many different substances and product sources that are being investigated, and there may be more than one cause,” the C.D.C. says on its website. “Therefore, the best way for people to ensure that they are not at risk while the investigation continues is to consider refraining from the use of all e-cigarette, or vaping, products.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/09/health/teen-vaping-death.html
I have to say again, the bottom line is not smoking or vaping at all is by far the healthiest option
"Though much of the evidence points to THC, health officials say that does not mean nicotine vaping can be considered safe.
“While it appears that vitamin E acetate is associated with Evali, there are many different substances and product sources that are being investigated, and there may be more than one cause,” the C.D.C. says on its website. “Therefore, the best way for people to ensure that they are not at risk while the investigation continues is to consider refraining from the use of all e-cigarette, or vaping, products.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/09/health/teen-vaping-death.html
I have to say again, the bottom line is not smoking or vaping at all is by far the healthiest option
I don't think anybody is arguing that not smoking is worse than smoking or vaping. Hand pressed kale juice is probably better for you than coffee, but I'm not going to make that switch any time soon.
Given the choice between smoking and vaping most health professionals would recommend vaping to help quit smoking. I'm not talking about getting started on vaping, only for using it to kick the smoking habit. I don't understand people getting into vaping who have never smoked. Probably something to do with the flavoured stuff.
I've tried quitting (and failed) multiple times. I've tried the clinics they put on, and they recommended vaping as the second best option for quitting. Their best recommendation was medication (can't remember the name of the brand right now), but I didn't like the look of the side effects and I don't really like taking tablets anyway, but if it works for you it's always an option.
Given the choice between smoking and vaping most health professionals would recommend vaping to help quit smoking. I'm not talking about getting started on vaping, only for using it to kick the smoking habit. I don't understand people getting into vaping who have never smoked. Probably something to do with the flavoured stuff.
I've tried quitting (and failed) multiple times. I've tried the clinics they put on, and they recommended vaping as the second best option for quitting. Their best recommendation was medication (can't remember the name of the brand right now), but I didn't like the look of the side effects and I don't really like taking tablets anyway, but if it works for you it's always an option.
Jesus christ.
Regular e-liquid contains
Glycerine - which has been used in vapor form in medicine, we know that's safe.
Propylene Glycol - is used in food and pharmaceutical manufacturing, also safe.
Water.
Those are the 3 ingredients for e-liquid. Then if you go for flavored juices, the only thing that is maybe questionable are the flavorings if they don't specify exactly what they are. But that's down your personal judgment if you want added flavoring.
But those 2 ingredients in e-liquid all have a long history of research and use behind them.
People are being stupid and aren't looking at what they're vaping and that's their own damn fault, don't go around scaremongering people like the media if you don't understand what you're talking about.
Regular e-liquid contains
Glycerine - which has been used in vapor form in medicine, we know that's safe.
Propylene Glycol - is used in food and pharmaceutical manufacturing, also safe.
Water.
Those are the 3 ingredients for e-liquid. Then if you go for flavored juices, the only thing that is maybe questionable are the flavorings if they don't specify exactly what they are. But that's down your personal judgment if you want added flavoring.
But those 2 ingredients in e-liquid all have a long history of research and use behind them.
People are being stupid and aren't looking at what they're vaping and that's their own damn fault, don't go around scaremongering people like the media if you don't understand what you're talking about.
I disagree with the fact that vaping helps you quit smoking, it contains a lot of times even more nicotine than normal cigarettes.
I guess you won't take Heroin to get of the opium.
"Researchers recruited nearly 900 people who wanted to quit smoking, and randomly assigned half to receive e-cigarettes and the other half to receive other nicotine replacement products (such as nicotine patches and gum). All of the study participants received weekly individual counseling for four weeks. After one year, smoking cessation was confirmed by measures of exhaled carbon monoxide (which should be low if you’ve quit but high if you’re still smoking).
Here’s what they found:
https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/can-vaping-help-you-quit-smoking-2019022716086
If you want to get rid of your addiction, you should take no nicotine at all, and the health professionals do absolutely recommend no vaping at all.
I guess you won't take Heroin to get of the opium.
"Researchers recruited nearly 900 people who wanted to quit smoking, and randomly assigned half to receive e-cigarettes and the other half to receive other nicotine replacement products (such as nicotine patches and gum). All of the study participants received weekly individual counseling for four weeks. After one year, smoking cessation was confirmed by measures of exhaled carbon monoxide (which should be low if you’ve quit but high if you’re still smoking).
Here’s what they found:
- Among those assigned to vaping, 18% had stopped smoking, while about 10% of those using nicotine replacement therapy had quit.
- Among successful quitters, 80% of those in the e-cigarette group were still vaping; only 9% of those in the nicotine-replacement group were still using those products.
- Reports of cough and phlegm production dropped more in the e-cigarette group.
https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/can-vaping-help-you-quit-smoking-2019022716086
If you want to get rid of your addiction, you should take no nicotine at all, and the health professionals do absolutely recommend no vaping at all.
You really are an idiot.. It contains 'more' nicotine because it's a different delivery system and different form of nicotine. And now that you can't dispute my points you go and bring up a completely different topic entirely, nice one.
I'd like to know who paid/how much was paid to Harvard for the study. There have been a couple of studies I've seen in the food industry from Harvard that were complete misinformation due to certain lobbyists, so I'd take that with a pinch of salt (low sodium, obviously).
https://www.nhs.uk/oneyou/for-your-body/quit-smoking/using-e-cigarettes-vapes-to-quit-smoking/?gclid=CPWi1aLry-cCFQqHGwod7acNrQ
E-cigarettes heat a solution, called e-liquid, which typically contains nicotine, propylene glycol and/or vegetable glycerine, and flavourings. They do not contain tobacco or produce tar or carbon monoxide – 2 of the most damaging constituents in tobacco smoke, which you inhale from cigarettes.
E-cigarettes are not completely risk-free, but experts estimate that vaping is at least 95% less harmful than smoking cigarettes. E-cigarette vapour contains some potentially harmful chemicals also found in tobacco smoke, but at much lower levels.
Many people think nicotine is very harmful to health. In fact, although it is addictive, nicotine is relatively harmless: it's the thousands of other chemicals in tobacco smoke that cause almost all the harm from smoking.
I'll mostly be taking my health advice from the NHS. Sort of. I still smoke.
https://www.nhs.uk/oneyou/for-your-body/quit-smoking/using-e-cigarettes-vapes-to-quit-smoking/?gclid=CPWi1aLry-cCFQqHGwod7acNrQ
How does vaping work?
E-cigarettes heat a solution, called e-liquid, which typically contains nicotine, propylene glycol and/or vegetable glycerine, and flavourings. They do not contain tobacco or produce tar or carbon monoxide – 2 of the most damaging constituents in tobacco smoke, which you inhale from cigarettes.
Are e-cigarettes / vapes safer than cigarettes?
E-cigarettes are not completely risk-free, but experts estimate that vaping is at least 95% less harmful than smoking cigarettes. E-cigarette vapour contains some potentially harmful chemicals also found in tobacco smoke, but at much lower levels.
Many people think nicotine is very harmful to health. In fact, although it is addictive, nicotine is relatively harmless: it's the thousands of other chemicals in tobacco smoke that cause almost all the harm from smoking.
I'll mostly be taking my health advice from the NHS. Sort of. I still smoke.
You are incredibly thick mate .
Again, not doing it is better than doing it, it's very simple though you don't seem able to grasp that utterly simple idea.
And consumers cannot see what is inside the liquid, so it's even more stupid to assume that people can know what they vape.
Also I already proved it's not researched well, confirmed by the cdc, so before you start to recommend stuff can actually be harmful.
Again, not doing it is better than doing it, it's very simple though you don't seem able to grasp that utterly simple idea.
And consumers cannot see what is inside the liquid, so it's even more stupid to assume that people can know what they vape.
Also I already proved it's not researched well, confirmed by the cdc, so before you start to recommend stuff can actually be harmful.
Ah yeah, you can't get it right so you start insulting.
https://www.cancer.org/healthy/stay-away-from-tobacco/e-cigarette-position-statement.html
"
The ACS does not recommend the use of e-cigarettes as a cessation method. No e-cigarette has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as a safe and effective cessation product.
"The harms of e-cigarette use in young people include not only the deleterious effects of nicotine, but also exposure of the lungs and airways to potentially toxic solvents and flavoring chemicals. The rapidly rising rates of use in young people and the high rates of daily use strongly suggest that many are addicted to nicotine and will have difficulty in stopping use of all tobacco products. "
Nicotine from E cigarettes, have the same effect as nicotine from tobacco
https://www.cancer.org/healthy/stay-away-from-tobacco/e-cigarette-position-statement.html
"
E-cigarettes should not be used to quit smoking.
The ACS does not recommend the use of e-cigarettes as a cessation method. No e-cigarette has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as a safe and effective cessation product.
"The harms of e-cigarette use in young people include not only the deleterious effects of nicotine, but also exposure of the lungs and airways to potentially toxic solvents and flavoring chemicals. The rapidly rising rates of use in young people and the high rates of daily use strongly suggest that many are addicted to nicotine and will have difficulty in stopping use of all tobacco products. "
Nicotine from E cigarettes, have the same effect as nicotine from tobacco