22 replies · 856 views · thread synced · 4 days ago
· View on torn.com
About this thread
Posts archived:23 / 23 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
Archived posts
23
Discussion span
→
Authority score
63 / 100
Historical score
44 / 100
Story score
57 / 100
Engagement score
75 / 100
People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.
Most-liked replies
Smokey123[248901]Helper
· 23 likes · Look what you’ve done nobody.... there was nothing wrong with the original logo and now we all have to look at an ugly black blob cross forever. You know the cross icon had nothing to do with the Red Cross …
Proxima[1879587]Wiki Editor
· 21 likes · Definitely one of the more abusrd things I've read on this game in a while, R+!
Shindig[865748]Officer
· 17 likes · This looks stupid, did no one think to object? It makes it look as if someone died or smth. Edit: never mind, I'm suddenly fine with the use of the black cross. [image: i.gyazo.com]
This really should be an internal matter, but I thought I'd make the case regardless, as our staff has a bunch of issues to handle... I have done some IRL research in the past where the red cross was one of the topics. Grand Theft Auto (whatever) use green crosses to avoid misusing the red cross, the red cross is considered near holy in the western (military) world within various countries. Here in Norway, you could get a stricter punishment from entering a red cross vehicle with no wounds than maximum punishment from murder, ****, terrorism (21 years in prison)... you name it, misusing the red cross is one of the strictest violations.
I understand that Torn may not be the number one resource for logos, however, considering that Torn celebrates Gay Pride I believe that Torn should honor the Red Cross organization as it has an actual IRL impact.
If a Norwegian soldier entered a red cross vehicle with no wounds, he would be judged as a war criminal/traitor. The red cross is supposed to be honored, and if I contacted the red cross organization, Torn would have a lawsuit on their hands. I want Torn to change their choice when it comes to logos, if someone is in the hospital, use a green cross instead of a red cross.
This may seem minuscule, I do believe in the western system however that we want the red cross base of standards, however, and I believe in the red cross standards of confirmation. Torn (a game) should not work against the reputation of the red cross in any way, shape or form.
While Torn is too small to be considered a threat to the impression terrorists and rogue warriors have of the red cross, Torn using the red cross is still an issue. Torn may seem more serious when using the red cross, however, Torn is less serious IRL whenever they use the red cross...
You must be saying about the first Geneva convention,Article 53 I remember this being an issue with one other game in the past I kind of read it somewhere but one thing is different here the color palate of red cross is more of blood or scarlet while our torn hospital sign is more to the orange side
It is explicitly forbidden to use these symbols, and it seems like they feel like orange isn't distinctive enough.
While I don't think it warrants a huge lawsuit, it might just be worth changing it to a green cross, not a lot of effort and it keeps the Red Cross happy
Most lawsuits are not followed up, that was more a statement as opposed to a threat. I believe Red Cross in most cases gives a warning/threat to sue anyone misusing it, in hopes that they change it on their own. Actually taking all the steps to sue would be a waste of resources for them if the misusing party complies. I have noticed the cross in torn for years, didn't really think I should make a huge fuzz about it but... Torn is an international game, and while small, the usage of the red cross is also a small change.
The red cross is strictly regulated/handled because they want to avoid attacks on red cross workers, as well as the respect anyone has for the symbol it represents. While Torn changing the color may have absolutely no effect ever, it could. Torn being a game, I don't believe it should keep a color that could affect anyone IRL, no matter how small the chance is.
The red cross was only a part of the icon not the whole icon, and as it's already been pointed out, it was actually more orange-y than a pure red. Please change it back, or to something other than black because that just doesn't look good.
If the red cross is really that much of a problem maybe redesign the whole icon and make it look like a caduceus or something. But really I don't see any reason it should be changed at all.
Look what you’ve done nobody.... there was nothing wrong with the original logo and now we all have to look at an ugly black blob cross forever.
You know the cross icon had nothing to do with the Red Cross organisation and was just a symbol used in this online game to show you are in hospital//working at a hospital.
There was NO NEED WHATSOEVER to change the colour of this icon. I wish snowflakes would stop trying to link real life things to Torn online objects/logos.
Thanks nobody for nothing. The black logo looks a bit silly and out of place. I guess it can grow on us and that’s fine (like every other dumb change that gets priority after 1 single person points it out as an issue; dare I bring up the CLUBBING over CLUBBED change).
Change it back Ched. Don’t just take a single persons report as a be all and end all.
This is a hilarious overreaction imo the icon has been like that for years and no one even batted an eyelash.
Why did no one bat an eyelash at this egregious copyright infringement / insult of the Red Cross?
Because everyone associates health, in games, with a red Cross you could probably go download 100 apps which use Red crosses to signify health and report them all the the Red Cross to no effect.
Please consider undoing this, and maybe leave the black icon for revives turned off or something.