23 replies · 241 views · thread synced · 5 days ago
· View on torn.com
About this thread
Posts archived:24 / 24 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch
Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.
Archived posts
24
Discussion span
→
Authority score
29 / 100
Historical score
20 / 100
Story score
47 / 100
Engagement score
63 / 100
People posting, likes and official posts are not counted for this thread yet: on threads longer than one page they come from a periodic pass over the archive, which has not covered it.
Since I'm pretty much trying my best to be an LGBTQIA+aoeuhatonseua ally, I'm wondering if it might be better to add more gender options, such as non-Binary or Apache Attack Helicopter. It might enhance the comedy aspect of the game, especially if one wishes to sexually identify as an Apache Attack Helicopter and be addressed with the proper pronouns for it (it, its, etc).
I would seriously choose the non-Binary option if I could get out of my damn visa marriage, and I'm sure it'd be fun to see who'd sexually identify as an Apache Attack Helicopter.
I'll make this clear, though. The Apache Longbow stuff was to make this more acceptable to most users if more gender options were added, because people could identify as an AH-64E and treat it as a joke option, without getting overly offended at the fact that non-binary and other options are added.
As for the last comment, there are 2-4 biological sexes, although I'd tend toward 3. Gender is defined as a social role, as opposed to a biological reality. The reason it's 2-4 is that there are people who are born intersex with characteristics of both biological sexes, and there are people born without reproductive organs as part of a genetic abnormality. In the last case, however, in other ways they're much equivalent to a pre-existing gender so I'd consider them part of another gender, however.
===
I'm not here for the LGBTQIA+ convo, however. I'm just pointing out that if the community and dev team wishes, there's an easy way to make the game more LGBTQIA+ friendly, when the predominance of gay marriages (often out of convenience, due to the lopsided male/female ratio) suggests a tendency toward support.
As Ninivah indicates, however, it seems the community and dev team does not support a more broad categorization of gender, so I'm abandoning this thread.
It's a fun time to be LGBT alliance tbh, since science has recently proven that biological sex is actually a spectrum, "the facts don't care about your feelings" takes on a whole new meaning and I love it xD
The "science" that "recently" has "proven" that... is it real hard science, or just a certain interpretation that has so much political weight behind it, that no reputable scientiest can even criticize it without killing himself/his carreer?
But I guess if you re-define a word often enough you can make it mean everything.
I'd want my gender role be 'big-momma', please. I totally feel that it fits me.... the10 pounds between my legs mean nothing. (or are a prove of me being 'big' momma.
It is real hard science, void of political bias and risk of a damaged career if spoken of in a scientific environment. SciShow did a video on a subject a while back, which includes an exhaustive list of sources for every claim they make in the video description. It also address the difference between biological sex and gender, with both being proven to be a spectrum. If you are interested, you can watch it here. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts.
That's basically my argument, i.e, intersex people alongside various chromosomal abnormalities. Gemma Ward, FYI, is rumored to be triple XXX, and I think Dr. House introduced us to the point that Klinefelter males (XXY) are often the most attractive women based on how screwed up their hormones are.
All valid topics of consideration. I don't see this suggestion getting very far though due to the demographic of torn players being mostly people who are inclined to choose dogmatism for an outdated and unscientific concept for one reason or another. :[
Keep trying though, it would take all of a day to make a non-binary symbol and slap it in the character creation and alteration pages, so it is possible it might happen!
I doubt anyone would actually care, TBH. Remember, a substantial amount of people are gay-married in-game simply for pragmatic reasons (and a lot of lesbian marriages aren't lesbian, the participants simply don't want to be hit on). And the "traditional" level of stuff is very variable; for instance, many of the people arguing for traditional gender roles / categorization wouldn't mind dating someone who was non-binary provided they were attractive. Trans, that's another story, but attraction is a difficult thing and the trans community will likely live with that problem for a long time.
Now, it's a different question as to whether or not transwoman or transman should be included as a grouping, since of course transpeople would rather be seen as their assumed gender unless they have reason to make clear that they're trans.
You'd think it'd be that way but I mean look at the dislikes, I realize these things bring out the people who love to hate the topic, but convening Ched (who for some reason is against the idea) would probably take an overwhelming demand, such as what happened with dark mode. Even if once it's said and done people wouldn't complain much if a third gender option gets added, getting it to that point is the hard part.
(also as a girl married to a girl in game and irl, I regret to report it stops no one from hitting on me xD I don't mind really, it's fun to mess with people, we are poly anyway, but the best way to avoid it for people who really don't want flirts to stick around is to hospitalize them for a few days :P )
Remember what happened with Star Trek's first homosexual kiss. Mores and values vary globally and people I've worked with have said they want to "gay bash" (my term) their homosexual relatives until they're in the closet or straight. That is something I have to accept because they live in a non-Western society wherein homosexuality is a strict taboo and the shame of homosexuality is not acceptable even to liberals / humanists there.