Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Mental Issues and Torn

Started by Flak [2091491] on in General Discussion.

184 replies · 1.57k views · thread synced · 10 days ago · View on torn.com

Posts archived: 185 / 185 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

JustJanet [911066]
Lose-lose situations do not prove your point. Neither does your anecdotal information about disabled or differently-abled people. The deaf community can give a rat's ass if you find them less than. They thrive and are happy with their lives. Your values are not part of the equation. If you and your wife choose not to have a child out of some ridiculous fear that they might be deaf, that is your choice. There are plenty of others who choose to have children who thrive and live wonderful lives despite not hearing. They certainly aren't hearing the bullshit people like you spew out in the world. Maybe that is their blessing.

Who are you to decide what makes a beautiful life? Since you are okay with anecdotal evidence, let me give you some examples of lives that prove that the world is awesome because of people with different abilities. First, I have a cousin who lived only until about 5 or 6 and then got Reye's Syndrome and died. His life was short, but it was a beautiful and enriching life that blessed many people. I know this because I had a conversation with a complete stranger once and as we were chatting and getting to know each other, we found out that we had a family connection from the past. The woman was my mom's age and had moved from back east to the west and just so happened to settle in my neighborhood. It turns out she knew my cousin's mom, and upon figuring this out, she asked me if I knew Deanie. She went on to say how that kid was a light of sunshine living on Earth. He was only 5 or 6 years old and 35 years later. His little life was still remembered with a bittersweet joy by other people outside of his family! I know he didn't have a disability, just really bad luck to live in a time before we knew the danger of giving aspirin to littles. However, since he was so young there is an argument that he didn't really "contribute" to the world, but he did in his own way. Joy is a gift that I know absolutely you do not experience. And it has made you a much lesser person. Stephen Hawking had a horrid debilitating disease, but he did not let it stop him from contributing to his field of study. Beethoven went deaf but still composed amazing classics that the world is richer for having heard.

Your undervaluation of differently-abled people is what is wrong with the world. Good thing it doesn't matter what people like you think. The value the person has in himself, and the value that the people who love him, does. There is a mouth and foot artist that was born so terribly deformed that her parents were encouraged to put her into an institution because the upbringing of her would be too burdensome. Doctors told the parents she would never walk, never talk, and never do anything productive. They took their daughter home to the rest of their kids. Her dad made her a cart to ride in to be able to be with and play with her siblings. She did learn to walk. She did learn to talk. She got her degree and taught elementary school before getting married and having children. She did not have much use of her arms but did have use of her mouth, feet, and chin. She changed her baby's diapers and raised them up with her husband to be productive members of the community. Your model of the world would never have let a person like her exist and we all would be poorer for it.

I also have a dear friend who is a doctor with cerebral palsy. He was also never supposed to walk, talk or be productive. He drives, he does speaking engagements and he teaches. He has an awesome sense of humor and helps others with disabilities know their worth.

I know neither of us will convince the other that they are right. I'm okay with that. My life is so much richer than what I can only guess, based on your stingy world view, is a miserable life of frustration and envy. I'll just happily go on telling my truth and looking for value in others and hoping like crazy that people like you never have a chance to put your kind of bullshit ideas into practice.
Lady_Face [679926]
To be honest, I have severe PTSD, social anxiety disorder, agoraphobia and I am bi polar. (not the dangerous type but the other one that has me prone to wandering off if I get stressed) I also have medical conditions that induce depression. But Torn for me, is a game that lets me out of my shell among those I've become friends with over the years that I've played. I am in no way suicidal nor do I have an interest in giving up on life as I still find things that hold beauty and peace for me. I can enjoy a sunset or sunrise and enjoy the beauty nature holds when I can force myself out of the house. So take what you will from that. I don't go around on here bullying people and I don't like being the victim of a bully either. I find it easy to see the humor in a situation and try to learn from it and move on. I do tend to be easily distracted but in all seriousness if anything, the friends I've made here in Torn have been as helpful to me as those I have in real life.
MadameButterfly [2514180]
Just playing devils advocate here but both you and JadedMarxist are wrong, massively wrong. he thinks that the worlds problems would be solved with selective breeding and you think that an argument against that should be an emotional one, see he is wrong because if selective breeding was enforced we would never evolve, our gene pool would become stagnant so in 500 years we, as a species, would die out. You are wrong because your only argument is emotional, there are loads of people you could have mentioned that would have made a case against selective breeding, you tried to trash his argument by referencing something that only matters to you. He can't have empathy for you because he doesn't know those people so anything you said will have no merit for him. If you want to get into it on the topic leave personal out of it because no one can relate to what you say about people only you know.

Anyway if I've learned one thing it's that when things on the internet start to get personal for other people that's the time to walk away or they will drag you in their wake so I'm out of here.

Mentions: JadedMarxist [2226802]

SexySugaKong559 [550104]
There are probably more than a few people with mental problems who play torn but of course they would most than likely keep that private and maybe only confide in a select few friends

I know of this one nutjob though who threatens to kill himself legit irl if females ignore him, mental health help should be more avaliable to everyone
MadameButterfly [2514180]
I know I said I was out but I have to ask, did he say that in general he would kill himself if females ignored him or did he actually say to women he contacted that if they didn't reply he would kill himself?
SexySugaKong559 [550104]
Hes sad that to someone before. Thats why i mentioned it. Thats the thing about torn. You can be anyone you want to be. Regardless people will figure out how you are as a person

Theres some decent nice people who play torn and then theres nutjobs who play torn
JustJanet [911066]
I mean I don’t ”know” Hawking or Beethoven either....but not knowing them doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate their contributions to society. How else do you illustrate that differently abled people have value other than telling about their lives? I admit I could have been less hot but it’s just so offensive to see people say that a life has no value and no right to live because they might not be productive or might cause a drain on resources.
Flak [2091491]
Definitely is such a strong word. If i accept the possibility that there is a second coming... lets just entertain the thought... now theres a chance he has been born already and hasn't been noticed by everyone.... if we assume its male... then we can say if he's alive today there is a 1 in 4 billion chance its me..... So we say there's a 1 in 1000 chance hes already here and not going to a different generation (i think 1,000 is plenty to cover the christian thoughts on his return)

So yeah.... If there is a second coming... i believe christians would have to accept it might be me. They don't know i can't perform miracles, i might fill the criteria of the prophecies... i might not need to.... And i believe i can honestly say i can communicate with what many would potentially see as a 'higher power' ....

Now i'm hoping its not me, And i think the chance of this second coming scenario is like.... tiny.... but i have to accept i might be wrong... i have to accept there might be a second coming.... And sadly i do not know enough to confirm its not me. The numbers would suggest it might be.
Flak [2091491]
Urm, i don't think he said anything about being against the idea of having kids with his wife. I think he was using the fact that he has a middleground scenario to highlight the importance it has to some...

Personally i am not against the idea of lost hearing in children. Its a shame, but equally its not likely a death sentence or debilitating problem... Although, i would totally understand if a person did not want to bring a deaf child into the world. Because it very much is the choice to give a living being an impairment. Not an easy choice to make, I think a deaf child in this scenario would have to be very well provided for. Though in current society when stable... its often easy to do this.

Anyways, i think you have gauged his stance wrong. I advise carefully looking at his words. The most drastic part is just his suggestion we need to start selectively breeding. Everything else is just questions there to inspire thought. I think from how it reads to me. He's not an extremist.... Just an insightful individual with a close up look at some factors.
Flak [2091491]
"Your undervaluation of differently-abled people is what is wrong with the world. Good thing it doesn't matter what people like you think."

Where is his undervaluation of differently abled? I think you owe him an apology. Knowingly bringing a being into existence to have them in pain misery and die before they can have a chance to understand what they are.... if you are arguing that you should be allowed to do that... you are the monster... That's all he has argued against as far as i can see. Maybe i'm wrong, maybe he includes freckles brown hair and the gay gene... but he seemed reasonable to me... I think you miss-read it a little.
Flak [2091491]
The threshold changes for the IQ score. Its not standardized. Also, typically only the really smart people choose to take the comprehensive tests. And with the emergence of the internet and modern technology, we'd expect a leap due to the new ability to learn so much in so many ways. The Flynn Effect is shaky... it could be for one of a few reasons, one of which is us getting smarter. The others could be akin to the superiority bias.... Aka... because the testers are getting dumber, the new tests are easier but they think they are harder because the test writers have a superiority bias... the new test writers will come in with higher scores thinking they are smarter than the old test writers and so their tests must be a better show of intelligence.... and so passing gets a higher IQ score again.... take that more as metaphor... i don't believe it to be exactly like that... That said... there is still a chance that the average intelligence of the masses is increasing and not declining... But i personally think we should be very aware and worried that it might be. even if only in biological capacity for intelligence. (maybe we can out pace declining genetics with tech, maybe we don't need to, who knows)

This article has some great info on the matter - https://www.fourmilab.ch/documents/IQ/1950-2050/