Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Offensive material

Started by Jim-Gyp [1924816] on in Bugs & Issues.

14 replies · 232 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 15 / 15 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
15
Discussion span
→
People posting
10
Likes on archived posts
30
Posts by staff, officers and moderators
2
Authority score
61 / 100
Historical score
33 / 100
Story score
48 / 100
Engagement score
63 / 100

Most-liked replies

Jim-Gyp [1924816]
On the travel screen where it shows text about random Torn things, it says this

”The current ratio of males to females in Torn is 1 woman for every 5.59 men. Another way of looking at it is that each man gets 0.18 of a woman, but if you're unlucky you might only get something boring like her ankles or something.”

I find this to be offensive to women as it is treating them like a object that men can paw all over. I also believe that this goes against the rules in Torn of misogyny. Why does “each man gets 0.18 of a woman”, is he entitled to her because he is a man? It also says “but if you’re unlucky you might get something boring like her ankle or something”, this is saying that a woman only has some good parts, when all of them should be worth the same as any other human.
flufffy [494285]
...but it’s ok to murder them or kidnap them or sell them drugs.

But seriously, there’s a Torn rule on Misogyny!?
Sepulchrave [2092631]
Misogyny is not an art, but humour is.

There is, in fact, a correlation between dark humour, such as you are currently criticizing, and intelligence.

Black humour preference and comprehension are positively associated with higher verbal and nonverbal intelligence as well as higher levels of education. Emotional instability and higher aggressiveness apparently lead to decreased levels of pleasure when dealing with black humour.*

This accords with my intuitive feeling that politically correct criticisms of humour are based less on ethics and morality than they are on an aggressive desire to control facets of existence beyond the ability of their proponents to intellectually comprehend. Similar traits and desire for social control are evidenced in religious moralists, such as Calvinists and Puritans, as well as in social ideologues on either extreme of the political spectrum.

* Cognitive and emotional demands of black humour processing:the role of intelligence, aggressiveness and mood.
oldskoolsuzuki [70196]
Youre statement is bullshit. How can you find something as "offensive to women" when you are not a woman? I find your statement to be offensive to women as it assumes that women would be offended by some funny text. Are you assuming that women do not have a sense if humor?
flufffy [494285]
Well, that’s not really valid is it?

I mean don’t get me wrong, the OP is a moron, but I think it’s possible to find stuff offensive even if it’s not about something you are. Like a lot of Trump says I find offensive, like calling Covid-19 the Chinese Virus or whatever he did. I mean maybe I wasn’t offended, I smh, roll my eyes and feel a bit annoyed about racism he spouts, but I’m not Chinese.
CloudJumper [1636201]Staff
I cannot pass a judgment on this one Will check with Joe if any changes are needed. Thanks!
JadedMarxist [2226802]
Wow this is a sorry state the world is in. When someone's inability to understand a joke or lack of iq, can bring up legal issues Is exactly the reason I hate this newer Gen of hippys. Well humanity in general. Please explain why we stopped throwing disadvantaged babies off the cliff at birth. The spartins had it right. Maybe ched should intruduce a iq test for potential players, apparently they let everyone in here. "throw aaaaaaahh splash"
JadedMarxist [2226802]
No Jim I think it's a problem the way you were raised. Bro because in real life the weak don't really inherit the earth. Go hug a tree or run down a hippy day is what we need in torn lmao