Any game developers or enthusiasts out there?
I'm not long into my journey, I went from Paint to Torn to EZGif to GIMP to Blender 2.8 to UE4 to Quixel
I want to be absolutely clear, I'm just a hobbyist, I'm not getting paid to say anything, no affiliations. All things i suggest here are 100% free and available to all!
I'm eager to share some of the bits and bobs i have learned. It is all so much more manageable than most would assume. I won't lie... its a headache... but a minor one...
There are many awesome bits of software out there.... But these 3 make an amazing trio... You don't need any coding knowledge to go from knowing nothing to making a working game (an 'okay pc' is needed >_<)
Blender 2.8 is for making things... its Free and open source. A 'point space' program... With the mapping of dots, you can make any shapes move in any way with any colors applied... It also does physics, light and fluid simulations as well as 2d animation. Headache to learn... but oh so goood...
Unreal Engine 4... Unreal engine is for compiling the game.. also good for making some stuff.. But you mostly bring things from outside and arrange them in unreal.... Kinda free... They basically make you 'sign' a deal whereby you promise to give them a cut of any profits you make from having used their software. Something like 5% of revenue after $3k.... obviously worth noting...
The big point here... If you never profit, you never pay.... also a headache to learn... but also very goood.... And damn they are good to their users!! They just bought Quixel....
Quixel (Mixer and Bridge) is for texturing. Now Free to UE4 Users!! The Quixel people are awesome... they use 3d image scanning techniques to make super realistic materials and assets. I'm gonna link a vid to show what you can do with these 3 programs and free time... it says a bit about quixel... their techniques make current game making methods hyper realistic... real time...
As for PROCESSING POWER!... 8-16 GB Ram... i5-i7.... And a semi decent graphics card..
Its the GPU that mostly dictates how 'smooth' your journey will be... But even an ok 1gb card, an i3 processor and 4 gb of ram would be enough to do lots of fun stuff. If your graphics card is too old or not powerful enough, the software likely just won't even start >_< Its worth checking ahead of time... And also. i want to reiterate... Quixel do sell their products... pls ignore that... Unreal Engine people bought them all for us to play with >_< I'll happily hand out pointers. Here's that video. With a few months of learning, this software and a few headaches.... you can do this.... real time graphics... not cinematic..
Quixel/UE4 - Rebirth
(turn screen res up)
I'm not long into my journey, I went from Paint to Torn to EZGif to GIMP to Blender 2.8 to UE4 to Quixel
I want to be absolutely clear, I'm just a hobbyist, I'm not getting paid to say anything, no affiliations. All things i suggest here are 100% free and available to all!
I'm eager to share some of the bits and bobs i have learned. It is all so much more manageable than most would assume. I won't lie... its a headache... but a minor one...
There are many awesome bits of software out there.... But these 3 make an amazing trio... You don't need any coding knowledge to go from knowing nothing to making a working game (an 'okay pc' is needed >_<)
Blender 2.8 is for making things... its Free and open source. A 'point space' program... With the mapping of dots, you can make any shapes move in any way with any colors applied... It also does physics, light and fluid simulations as well as 2d animation. Headache to learn... but oh so goood...
Unreal Engine 4... Unreal engine is for compiling the game.. also good for making some stuff.. But you mostly bring things from outside and arrange them in unreal.... Kinda free... They basically make you 'sign' a deal whereby you promise to give them a cut of any profits you make from having used their software. Something like 5% of revenue after $3k.... obviously worth noting...
The big point here... If you never profit, you never pay.... also a headache to learn... but also very goood.... And damn they are good to their users!! They just bought Quixel....
Quixel (Mixer and Bridge) is for texturing. Now Free to UE4 Users!! The Quixel people are awesome... they use 3d image scanning techniques to make super realistic materials and assets. I'm gonna link a vid to show what you can do with these 3 programs and free time... it says a bit about quixel... their techniques make current game making methods hyper realistic... real time...
As for PROCESSING POWER!... 8-16 GB Ram... i5-i7.... And a semi decent graphics card..
Its the GPU that mostly dictates how 'smooth' your journey will be... But even an ok 1gb card, an i3 processor and 4 gb of ram would be enough to do lots of fun stuff. If your graphics card is too old or not powerful enough, the software likely just won't even start >_< Its worth checking ahead of time... And also. i want to reiterate... Quixel do sell their products... pls ignore that... Unreal Engine people bought them all for us to play with >_< I'll happily hand out pointers. Here's that video. With a few months of learning, this software and a few headaches.... you can do this.... real time graphics... not cinematic..
Quixel/UE4 - Rebirth
(turn screen res up)