Skip to content
TORNLIFE More

Web dev's

Started by belgareth [1877754] on in Technology.

10 replies · 108 views · thread synced · 4 days ago · View on torn.com
About this thread

Posts archived: 11 / 11 posts (100%) · the total is Torn's reply count + the opening post at the last fetch

Counted by TornLife from the archived posts.

Archived posts
11
Discussion span
→
People posting
5
Likes on archived posts
3
Authority score
8 / 100
Historical score
17 / 100
Story score
31 / 100
Engagement score
51 / 100
belgareth [1877754]
So i've been teaching myself coding (html, css) for a while and im l'm working on my first live website.
I plan on buying the domain name and putting it on wordpress since it isnt going to be anything flashy.
I'm looking at GoDaddy for the domain. but will I be able to add my own code and link it to my domain on wordpress?
h4xnoodle [2315090]
Use something like namecheap.com instead of garbage godaddy. You need somewhere to host the code. The domain name is just the address for your hosted content. A name for the IP address of some server. You could assign yourdomain.com to something.wordpress.com though as an A record.
DudeistPriest [863676]
Hello me from like 6 years ago. There are lots of affordable webhosts out there. You definitely don't need to pay WordPress.com for their limited hosting solution. You can install WordPress by downloading it from WordPress.org and uploading it to whatever webhost you like. I enjoy Dreamhost for shared (slower) hosting. They're affordable and only bill once every couple of years. Definitely use namecheap if you'd prefer to keep your registrar and your host separate (many do) - otherwise, Dreamhost can streamline your registration to your hosting in 1 click.
Tsume [195620]
As per above comments -

Setup github for public repos or bitbucket for private (I enjoy bitbucket because it is part of atlassian and you can set up jira too (issue tracking)).
It is important to commit your code so you don't ever lose the changes you've been working on.

edit: github supports private repos as well, although it is not free as bitbucket is.

I used godaddy for domain and it's pretty ok. There are other alternatives out there, just google it up a little bit. This is just for the DOMAIN (like google.com or torn.com). It is linked (or rather pointing) to the IP address of your web host.

As for hosting - there are many choices, depends what you need. I suggest shared virtual hosts because they are dirt cheap, but you are sacrificing speed. Obviously if you are expecting low traffic, you'll be fine.
Some hosts have bandwidth limit so be aware of that.

For virtual hosts I usually browse https://lowendbox.com/. Every so and then a new advertisement for hosts pop up. Some are cheap, some expensive.

Make sure you don't get the first host available, because sometimes there are better deals for the same money. Shop around! :)
Tsume [195620]
Last time I checked GitHub - a private (hidden) repository you have to pay monthly fee. Free one is public which is visible to anyone.

Edit: Apparently free private repos were introduced last year in Jan :)
belgareth [1877754]
Im with eco hosting at the moment as it came free with the Udemy course Im doing but am already looking around for when that ends.