Not much for posting on forums, but I figure it’s worth sharing my progress as a player.
I started torn at the recommendation of my eventual in-game wife, Tezzle. Two days old I was picked up by someone by the name of MightyGoober when I posted for help in my first forum thread:
https://www.torn.com/forums.php#/p=threads&f=19&t=16030910&b=0&a=0&start=0&to=18237993
I remember the first thing he said to me lol: “I have a good feeling about you!” Pretty cool to hear from a level 100 and being only 2 days old! Started my faction days with Itsi Bitsi Bro’s, then they changed to PnB a couple months later, so I joined Impulse and until yesterday, was the leader of the sub faction, Also Impulse :)
My achievement is I’ve done quite a bit with the energy challenges, as SSL no less.
Age
46 Optimist (search dump 1000x)
150 10k crimes
245 1k attacks won
249 Supremacy Honor (top 5% in elimination, GOAT team)
259 1m str
311 Departed Honor (>249 dog tags)
329 1m spd
343 1m def
346 1m dex
364 10m total stats
409 SSL unlocked
454. Seeker (250 awards)
483 100m total stats
495 50m def
524 50m spd
526 50m dex
527 50m str
534. Klepto merit (25k thefts)
553. You have successfully purchased membership in George's. 11:26:56 18/07/19
595. You use 250 job points to determine that the true level of Valgys is 70.
626. Completed all city jobs
676. Web of Perks (100 perks)
685. 1000 runaways
774. 1b stats
And today (age 852) I’m sitting at just north of 1.5b stats
How I earned money to afford it early on? DPs. Which I dabbled in the casino and in stocks. After awhile it was pretty easy to earn $400m-$800m a day. But I will admit some days I had to walk away with a loss at casino but was usually able to make up for it over the next week. My “trick” was to go for slots with my tokens and if I lost around $200m I’d switch to blackjack. It was through blackjack I was able to make up my losses and earn some daily spending cash.
As a side note - I noticed that blackjack odds changed daily where there is a day or two of a “hard correction” where anything you do will lose: dds would fail. I could split aces on a dealer hand with a 6 showing and lose both. Every dealers hand showing a 10 would be a 20. And even on one of those days, I saw the dealer play 13 naturals in a row during a 75 round hand! Those odds are nearly impossible lol. Anyways, know the days when you have to walk away.
After figuring out what to do to earn cash, the rest of the growth came from timing the use of books, which I think are underestimated for new and med age players. Getting the happy book was big. Also ugly energy to quickly unlock SSL. I would recommend new players focus on purchasing every book they can with mission points or even better, be a subscriber to get the books coming in almost every month.
I’ve had a pretty strong first 800 days, once if figured out that nothing bad came from drinking too much booze and taking drugs. I was actually scared of drinking more than one beer in a row cause I didn’t know what would happen!
As for drugs, I didn’t have any intention to go SSL, but I absolutely loathed Xanax ODs. And my natural OD rate has been so bad that when I took a break to take other drugs for the merits, I OD’d on cannabis at around 60! You can almost say the SSL life chose me. It was nice not to deal with Xanax timers and ODs after that.
Even though I identify as SSL I would describe myself more as a merit hunter, as that’s always been my main purpose everyday when I logged on. I love seeing how many merits I earned and how far away from the next one I was from obtaining.
It was good for awhile, but I think now is a good time to call it quits. RL calls and it’s a call I can’t screen. I won’t bore folks with all the shout outs I want to give, but I will say thanks to Tezzle for introducing me to the game, MightyGoober for his advice early on (seriously - no idea why it was important to keep the cooldowns running at all times until he explained it to me lol), Wolverine for being the first SSL player I ever met, before i knew of SSL and letting me ask him for tips, and of course all of Impulse.
For those of you lucky enough to know me and/or friended me, I left some of the 1700 FHCs I’ve been hoarding or the 5000 energy cans I was saving up for use one day. For those who had enemied me, I assume it was to mug me and I’ve sent you some cash so you’re not walking away empty handed lol. There were days I’d be sitting with several billion on me without a mug, as I gambled. Only in the last week or two as I got lazy, I got mugged with a few hundred million on me :)
I leave the game with a song in my heart and a spring in my step. And as I type up this message and see that my Energy has been sitting at 150 unused for hours now and I’ve no inclination to use it, I’m pretty certain this is a permanent decision. Be well everyone!
I started torn at the recommendation of my eventual in-game wife, Tezzle. Two days old I was picked up by someone by the name of MightyGoober when I posted for help in my first forum thread:
https://www.torn.com/forums.php#/p=threads&f=19&t=16030910&b=0&a=0&start=0&to=18237993
I remember the first thing he said to me lol: “I have a good feeling about you!” Pretty cool to hear from a level 100 and being only 2 days old! Started my faction days with Itsi Bitsi Bro’s, then they changed to PnB a couple months later, so I joined Impulse and until yesterday, was the leader of the sub faction, Also Impulse :)
My achievement is I’ve done quite a bit with the energy challenges, as SSL no less.
Age
46 Optimist (search dump 1000x)
150 10k crimes
245 1k attacks won
249 Supremacy Honor (top 5% in elimination, GOAT team)
259 1m str
311 Departed Honor (>249 dog tags)
329 1m spd
343 1m def
346 1m dex
364 10m total stats
409 SSL unlocked
454. Seeker (250 awards)
483 100m total stats
495 50m def
524 50m spd
526 50m dex
527 50m str
534. Klepto merit (25k thefts)
553. You have successfully purchased membership in George's. 11:26:56 18/07/19
595. You use 250 job points to determine that the true level of Valgys is 70.
626. Completed all city jobs
676. Web of Perks (100 perks)
685. 1000 runaways
774. 1b stats
And today (age 852) I’m sitting at just north of 1.5b stats
- Strength 348,600,386 +28%
- Defense 394,792,451 +35%
- Speed 471,041,939 +36%
- Dexterity 301,651,741 +39%
- Total 1,516,086,517
How I earned money to afford it early on? DPs. Which I dabbled in the casino and in stocks. After awhile it was pretty easy to earn $400m-$800m a day. But I will admit some days I had to walk away with a loss at casino but was usually able to make up for it over the next week. My “trick” was to go for slots with my tokens and if I lost around $200m I’d switch to blackjack. It was through blackjack I was able to make up my losses and earn some daily spending cash.
As a side note - I noticed that blackjack odds changed daily where there is a day or two of a “hard correction” where anything you do will lose: dds would fail. I could split aces on a dealer hand with a 6 showing and lose both. Every dealers hand showing a 10 would be a 20. And even on one of those days, I saw the dealer play 13 naturals in a row during a 75 round hand! Those odds are nearly impossible lol. Anyways, know the days when you have to walk away.
After figuring out what to do to earn cash, the rest of the growth came from timing the use of books, which I think are underestimated for new and med age players. Getting the happy book was big. Also ugly energy to quickly unlock SSL. I would recommend new players focus on purchasing every book they can with mission points or even better, be a subscriber to get the books coming in almost every month.
I’ve had a pretty strong first 800 days, once if figured out that nothing bad came from drinking too much booze and taking drugs. I was actually scared of drinking more than one beer in a row cause I didn’t know what would happen!
As for drugs, I didn’t have any intention to go SSL, but I absolutely loathed Xanax ODs. And my natural OD rate has been so bad that when I took a break to take other drugs for the merits, I OD’d on cannabis at around 60! You can almost say the SSL life chose me. It was nice not to deal with Xanax timers and ODs after that.
Even though I identify as SSL I would describe myself more as a merit hunter, as that’s always been my main purpose everyday when I logged on. I love seeing how many merits I earned and how far away from the next one I was from obtaining.
It was good for awhile, but I think now is a good time to call it quits. RL calls and it’s a call I can’t screen. I won’t bore folks with all the shout outs I want to give, but I will say thanks to Tezzle for introducing me to the game, MightyGoober for his advice early on (seriously - no idea why it was important to keep the cooldowns running at all times until he explained it to me lol), Wolverine for being the first SSL player I ever met, before i knew of SSL and letting me ask him for tips, and of course all of Impulse.
For those of you lucky enough to know me and/or friended me, I left some of the 1700 FHCs I’ve been hoarding or the 5000 energy cans I was saving up for use one day. For those who had enemied me, I assume it was to mug me and I’ve sent you some cash so you’re not walking away empty handed lol. There were days I’d be sitting with several billion on me without a mug, as I gambled. Only in the last week or two as I got lazy, I got mugged with a few hundred million on me :)
I leave the game with a song in my heart and a spring in my step. And as I type up this message and see that my Energy has been sitting at 150 unused for hours now and I’ve no inclination to use it, I’m pretty certain this is a permanent decision. Be well everyone!